Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Roll of drums... big Fanfare....

My gimbal has landed! :) :) :)

Complete with a big sticker saying "Canada post tracked parcel" .. Hmm....

Still, the good news is that Customs don't seem to have tracked it either, so no import costs

So that's me in happy bunny mode... Off to watch Pull_ups howtos....

Edit -- PS: I should add the Keri was very quick to reply to my emails and very helpful when it looked like it had gone seriously astray. Great customer service, credit where it's due!

Shedracer said:
Anybody know where we are on the order numbers, who has received theirs. Mine is **425, hoping it's not too long now. :? :mrgreen:

#365 is the current order. No gimbals have shipped this week.

gpauk said:
Roll of drums... big Fanfare....

My gimbal has landed! :) :) :)

Complete with a big sticker saying "Canada post tracked parcel" .. Hmm....

Still, the good news is that Customs don't seem to have tracked it either, so no import costs

So that's me in happy bunny mode... Off to watch Pull_ups howtos....

Edit -- PS: I should add the Keri was very quick to reply to my emails and very helpful when it looked like it had gone seriously astray. Great customer service, credit where it's due!

Jammy! (By the way you did know that you could put the Canada Post tracking ID into the ParcelForce website to track it once it lands in the UK and waits for Customs (or not)?)

It does seem to be that the lower the priority of the shipping service you choose, the less likely you are to be charged by HMRC - but you did very well there with no duty and, most importantly, no VAT. Result!

Pull_Up said:
Jammy! (By the way you did know that you could put the Canada Post tracking ID into the ParcelForce website to track it once it lands in the UK and waits for Customs (or not)?)

Yes -- it didn't work though. I got the most info from putting the tracking number into USPS site!! But it still wasn't updated after a day or 2...

All's well that ends well though -- and indeed I got lucky on the tax!

By the way, how's Pull_up minor aka Hopalong doing? :)

DKDarkness said:
Ever since I saw your unboxing, I've been dying to know why to RotorPixel gimbal is so heavy? Had it been an american gimbal I could understand it, as the american engineering tradition is to make things last: " Nice sporst car, but it weighs 2 tons (or some obscure way of messuring things) - we' ll just fit a 6.9 liter (or square inch) V8 in it, it'll drive just fine in a straight line!"

The Dronexpert gimbal is made of plastic (and is probably more radiolucent) and will break on hard impact? The RotorPixel is made of bricks, and will break anything in its path on impact (due to inertia) :lol:

No perfect solution so far? Any news on user confirmed flight times on the RotorPixel?

It's been too windy to fly this week and I've had a 3 year old with a fractured ankle to deal with, so no more testing. I'm hoping to get out early tomorrow morning - if there isn't any nice sunshine then I'll go through a couple of batteries and test out wifi range compared with my personal previous results (I have modified my range extender with a helical). I'll also re-fit my Flytrex so give accurate range and flight time data - I'm bound to forget to set a timer.

The gimbal is certainly not fragile at all. The only weak point is the plastic camera mount, everything else should take as good a beating as the main aircraft - and you need something to give in a crash to avoid all the impact energy going into the camera itself. However one of the main factors for me in choosing this gimbal was the future-proofing. The powerful motors and ability to add 3rd axis and GoPro (and possibly other) mounts on it means that I can carry this over to another airframe. Much as I do love my Vision right now I'm certainly starting to casually look around and think what the next aircraft might be next year, and should that come to pass I'll return my Vision to stock and keep it as the ideal "charge and go" machine for casual AP/AV.

DKDarkness said:
Ever since I saw your unboxing, I've been dying to know why to RotorPixel gimbal is so heavy? Had it been an american gimbal I could understand it, as the american engineering tradition is to make things last: " Nice sporst car, but it weighs 2 tons (or some obscure way of messuring things) - we' ll just fit a 6.9 liter (or square inch) V8 in it, it'll drive just fine in a straight line!"

The Dronexpert gimbal is made of plastic (and is probably more radiolucent) and will break on hard impact? The RotorPixel is made of bricks, and will break anything in its path on impact (due to inertia) :lol:

No perfect solution so far? Any news on user confirmed flight times on the RotorPixel?
Just fyi and compare with rp (we are here to speak only about rp... gloups) I make 21 minutes with my 3dpower.

teji said:
Just fyi and compare with rp (we are here to speak only about rp... gloups) I make 21 minutes with my 3dpower.

Don't forget when comparing flight times to also note conditions - temperature, wind, type of flying: "sport" or typical photographic (inc % in hover, % at or near full stick travel), start and end % on battery, etc - otherwise quoting bare numbers is useless.

More meaningful results will come over several flights and taking an average. But I can tell you know if you're only after max flying time and nothing else then the Rotorpixel won't give you that - its strengths lie elsewhere as I mentioned above (and also for me, it's plug-an-play nature and portability).

DKDarkness said:
Any news on user confirmed flight times on the RotorPixel?

I flew this morning for the first time with my RP gimbal. Very satisfied with the results. I recorded 16m flight time and landed with 25% battery. Nothing scientific since this is only an initial flight but pre-gimbal I would have estimated this type of flight to give me maybe around 20m of video/flight time.

Much as I do love my Vision right now I'm certainly starting to casually look around and think what the next aircraft might be next year, and should that come to pass I'll return my Vision to stock and keep it as the ideal "charge and go" machine for casual AP/AV.[/quote]

What aircraft you looking at?

Those who have flown with your new gimbal, how did you find the phantom's performance?

1. Was there a noticeable difference with the extra weight of the gimbal?
2. Did you have to increase the throttle gains to get better performance?

Thanks to those who send links to video footage from using the Rotorpixel gimbal. It's great to see how smooth the videos are. I can't wait for mine. I don't get bored from watching video footage same as Pull_Up. This is such a great hobby!! :D

Anyways looking forward to comments on my questions.

Cheers.

Xcopter said:
Those who have flown with your new gimbal, how did you find the phantom's performance?

After a brief "backyard" flight and a two-battery sortie I would say:

1. No, not really in terms of flight - although the props sound different at hover setting because of course they need to turn a bit faster than before. There's obviously going to be a little more inertia at speed for example, so you might want to put in a little bit of opposite stick input to compensate. I didn't do any hooning around but I didn't feel anything was massively different apart from that.

2. I don't feel any need to mess with the throttle gains. I am going to turn down the yaw gains as it's too sensitive and the rock solid footage now shows up any movement in the yaw stick when you meant to be moving the throttle only. A more "spongey" feel will help with smooth pans. The gain settings are pretty personal, though, so you might want to change things to get it feeling how you want.

Pull_Up said:
Xcopter said:

After a brief "backyard" flight and a two-battery sortie I would say:

1. No, not really in terms of flight - although the props sound different at hover setting because of course they need to turn a bit faster than before. There's obviously going to be a little more inertia at speed for example, so you might want to put in a little bit of opposite stick input to compensate. I didn't do any hooning around but I didn't feel anything was massively different apart from that.

2. I don't feel any need to mess with the throttle gains. I am going to turn down the yaw gains as it's too sensitive and the rock solid footage now shows up any movement in the yaw stick when you meant to be moving the throttle only. A more "spongey" feel will help with smooth pans. The gain settings are pretty personal, though, so you might want to change things to get it feeling how you want.

Thanks Simon. Very helpful info. I agree the yaw is definitely a bit too sensitive and may try reducing the gains for this even without the gimbal. One of the reasons I chose Rotorpixel gimbal was that they will be providing a 3rd axis add-on to create that spongey feel. Well, in fact there are many reasons why I feel Rotorpixel is the right choice, even if it means the wait.

By the way do you have any good links to tutorials on Adobe Premiere to create the final video with music?

I have had three flights. First had a lot of vibration. I fine tuned the adjustment for the filter kit etc. Last flight was a lot better.
Install went fine. 7th channel works great, just got to get the hang of it. This video is latest has a few shakes here and there?
Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_KkTl_t_r8

Simon, how do you turn down the yaw gains in the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant program?

2. I don't feel any need to mess with the throttle gains. I am going to turn down the yaw gains as it's too sensitive and the rock solid footage now shows up any movement in the yaw stick when you meant to be moving the throttle only. A more "spongey" feel will help with smooth pans. The gain settings are pretty personal, though, so you might want to change things to get it feeling how you want.[/quote]

Russair said:
I have had three flights. First had a lot of vibration. I fine tuned the adjustment for the filter kit etc. Last flight was a lot better.
Install went fine. 7th channel works great, just got to get the hang of it. This video is latest has a few shakes here and there?
Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_KkTl_t_r8

Suggest to change privacy setting of the video? Youtube says it is private...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka