Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

YeeaaBoii said:
Anyone wanna swap a brand new Dronexpert gimbal for their pre-order spot for a Rotorpixel?

You don't like the DE gimbal? Am curious because I bought both....ordered the DE a week before the RP pre-order was open. Both haven't arrived. Was thinking of selling the DE once the RP arrives....or should I just cancel the order for DE if it is really not worth getting?

Flighttime said:
YeeaaBoii said:
Anyone wanna swap a brand new Dronexpert gimbal for their pre-order spot for a Rotorpixel?

You don't like the DE gimbal? Am curious because I bought both....ordered the DE a week before the RP pre-order was open. Both haven't arrived. Was thinking of selling the DE once the RP arrives....or should I just cancel the order for DE if it is really not worth getting?

My DE hasn't arrived either. :lol: I'm willing to trade if it arrives for many reasons from the information I've gathered by reading reviews and experiences on it daily since I placed my order.

#1: I placed my order quickly, without much research (my fault), on January 24th to beat the high demand when it said 2 weeks for gimbal to leave facility. 2 days after I placed that order, the estimated shipping time bumped from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. I thought I had made the 2 week deadline but then I received the shipping estimate email that said if you ordered by Jan 24th, it'd ship Feb 24th. Well, that didn't happen. Still no tracking info or an email saying it shipped. Hopefully it goes out tomorrow.

#2: Almost every DE video I've seen on YouTube has the "jello effect" at one point or another in the video. At first I thought it may have been just a few improper installations but after checking for new videos daily, they all seem to have it. I heard they are sending out new dampers to fix the vibration issue but I'm still seeing new videos posted with a lot of jello effect. Here's a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_j2-9ebXM Skip to 2:15 and you'll see what I mean. With the stock gimbal, I don't have a steady video by any means but I surely don't have one bit of jello effect in any videos I've taken. The little white shock absorbers do a good job at eliminating it. RP uses them.

#3: The DE plate design suspended between the landing gear is not ideal for me because 90% of the time I'm taking off and landing on a natural, uneven surface. I treat my P2V like a tank because it is one. I take off and land in pastures and fields with tall grass and uneven dirt frequently. By tall grass, I mean when I land my P2V, I'm usually mowing the lawn with the blades for a split second before I turn off the motors. My P2V camera is usually embedded in grass before I take off and when I land. When I link to my phone for FPV, all you see is grass on the screen. :lol: I think Rotorpixel's overall design in general is much better because it's similar to stock. I'm thinking the DE plate design could easily get knocked off balance or shift when taking off and landing in my area.

#4: I've heard the DE gimbal reduces WiFi range by more than half without having to upgrade the FC200 antennas. I'm sure it effects everyone differently, but my Vision has always had a hard time maintaining a good video feed. I even upgraded to the 8dbi omni antenna for the WiFi repeater that people reported boosted their distance to 1,800+ft. With that mod, I barely reached 1,100ft distance. It's only a solid connection for me up to 700ft distance. Anything after that is patchy. I can't afford to have it reduced any more. At least RP has the one open antenna side on the FC200. DE covers both spots where it says "don't cover".

#5: DE is not plug and play. RP is.

#6: I can do the 7th channel hack for the Rotorpixel.

#7: RP says they'll support a 3rd axis in the future.

#8: DE is way more money.

This is just what I've gathered by reading on here and watching videos online. If it ever comes, maybe I'll be too excited and completely forget about all those things I just listed and try it out for myself. :roll:

wanna know why the drone expert gimbal has jello? the freaking lower frame is supported by the phantom legs! That is the most unstable section of the drone..terrible design..i don't give a crap what kind of dampers you put on there, it will always have jello if the frame sits on the lower legs. terrible.. :?

YeeaaBoii said:
Flighttime said:
YeeaaBoii said:

My DE hasn't arrived either. :lol: I'm willing to trade if it arrives for many reasons from the information I've gathered by reading reviews and experiences on it daily since I placed my order.

#1: I placed my order quickly, without much research (my fault), on January 24th to beat the high demand when it said 2 weeks for gimbal to leave facility. 2 days after I placed that order, the estimated shipping time bumped from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. I thought I had made the 2 week deadline but then I received the shipping estimate email that said if you ordered by Jan 24th, it'd ship Feb 24th. Well, that didn't happen. Still no tracking info or an email saying it shipped. Hopefully it goes out tomorrow.

#2: Almost every DE video I've seen on YouTube has the "jello effect" at one point or another in the video. At first I thought it may have been just a few improper installations but after checking for new videos daily, they all seem to have it. I heard they are sending out new dampers to fix the vibration issue but I'm still seeing new videos posted with a lot of jello effect. Here's a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_j2-9ebXM Skip to 2:15 and you'll see what I mean. With the stock gimbal, I don't have a steady video by any means but I surely don't have one bit of jello effect in any videos I've taken. The little white shock absorbers do a good job at eliminating it. RP uses them.

#3: The DE plate design suspended between the landing gear is not ideal for me because 90% of the time I'm taking off and landing on a natural, uneven surface. I treat my P2V like a tank because it is one. I take off and land in pastures and fields with tall grass and uneven dirt frequently. By tall grass, I mean when I land my P2V, I'm usually mowing the lawn with the blades for a split second before I turn off the motors. My P2V camera is usually embedded in grass before I take off and when I land. When I link to my phone for FPV, all you see is grass on the screen. :lol: I think Rotorpixel's overall design in general is much better because it's similar to stock. I'm thinking the DE plate design could easily get knocked off balance or shift when taking off and landing in my area.

#4: I've heard the DE gimbal reduces WiFi range by more than half without having to upgrade the FC200 antennas. I'm sure it effects everyone differently, but my Vision has always had a hard time maintaining a good video feed. I even upgraded to the 8dbi omni antenna for the WiFi repeater that people reported boosted their distance to 1,800+ft. With that mod, I barely reached 1,100ft distance. It's only a solid connection for me up to 700ft distance. Anything after that is patchy. I can't afford to have it reduced any more. At least RP has the one open antenna side on the FC200. DE covers both spots where it says "don't cover".

#5: DE is not plug and play. RP is.

#7: RP says they'll support a 3rd axis in the future.

#8: DE is way more money.

This is just what I've gathered by reading on here and watching videos online. If it ever comes, maybe I'll be too excited and completely forget about all those things I just listed and try it out for myself. :roll:

Awesome write-up, pretty much answers a lot of my questions. Though, I doubt anyone would want to swap their place in line for the RP gimbal for the DE after reading all that :lol:

For me it's a case of wanting to have a gimbal as soon as possible as the shaky videos are the main Achilles heel to the P2V at the moment. Really hope to get the shipping confirmation from RP (or even DE, but more excited for RP) soon as I'm confident I placed my order within minutes of when the pre-orders were open i.e. before pull_up post (earlier in the thread) realizing that the pre-order button had showed up on the RP website.

YeeaaBoii said:

On a side note, I've done the 7th channel hack on my stock camera yesterday. Pretty responsive especially after the X1 calibration. Really recommend it, even without the 2-axis gimbal...they should have included the 7th channel activated out of the box.

Only after typing all of that did I realize I probably ruined any chance at having someone swap with me :lol: Oh well, I'll figure it out once I get it.

And yeah, not having 7th channel ready out of the box was strange. Good thing someone figured it out! Glad to hear it's working well for you.

arinvideo said:
I don't see why the hack wouldn't work for
The de gimbal as well maybe I'm missing something.

The DE gimbal comes with its own setup to enable the 7th channel slider. The slider that mounts on the back of the remote is also included with the DE gimbal package. That was a great feature the DE had over the Rotorpixel until that hack was discovered.

I did a write up on my experience fitting antennas by Horizon FPV to the tx and range extender only. I had worse than average tx performance and average WiFi. I was able to double my control range and WiFi was improved by another 50% without worrying about orientation - even better using sideways on. Might be worth a look based on my experiences if you don't have great WiFi. I was getting clear downlink at 1500ft plus and when yawed 1800ft...

YeeaaBoii said:
My P2V camera is usually embedded in grass before I take off and when I land. When I link to my phone for FPV, all you see is grass on the screen. :lol:

Why not do the pluck it out of the sky by hand landing then?

YeeaaBoii said:
Only after typing all of that did I realize I probably ruined any chance at having someone swap with me :lol: Oh well, I'll figure it out once I get it.

And yeah, not having 7th channel ready out of the box was strange. Good thing someone figured it out! Glad to hear it's working well for you.

Why don't you think the DE is plug and play ?? 7th channel is different but other than that it is for sure plug and play ..

Pull_Up said:
I did a write up on my experience fitting antennas by Horizon FPV to the tx and range extender only. I had worse than average tx performance and average WiFi. I was able to double my control range and WiFi was improved by another 50 without worrying about orientation - even better using sideways on. Might be worth a look based on my experiences if you don't have great WiFi. I was getting clear downlink at 1500ft plus and when yawed 1800ft...

I know you are talking about the range extender wifi signal, just wondered what you thought of the potential signal loss on the camera motor side, as the main reason I bought the P2V for was to take video of structures in which case I fly in effect sideways round them, and I am hoping that as I am not flying silly distances the potential signal degredation/drop in quality, may not be as apparent as it would be at long distances.

Apologies for hijacking the thread a little, but I wondered if there may be a little crossover into the camera as you were discussing wifi and signal quality.

Hi. No I was merely saying that improving the antennas only on the ground side and not even doing any boosting or amping gave me a near doubling in range of FPV. I was surmising that any signal degradation caused by gimbals might well be able to be compensated for by fitting better than stock antennas on your range extender. I was looking at this only from a range point of view, not a signal quality close-in point of view. But having seen how good my results were with the Vision facing away from me (nose out - over 1500ft full FPV highest quality, side-ways on over 1800ft) I'm not anticipating any particular issues using my setup with a gimbal.

If a gimbal setup was knocking range then an additional step could be to mod the camera by adding an external cable into which you could put a matched antenna on the aircraft mounted clear of the gimbal. As long as the cable was flexible enough it shouldn't affect gimbal balance much. You'd then get long range FPV unaffected by gimbal motors or structure.

If you find that for your purposes fitting a gimbal has reduced your ability to operate flexibly (e.g. only being able to face one side on) then modding just the range extender to put a similar antenna on to the one I have might give enough extra gain to offset any gimbal motor issues.

Does that make sense? My brain's a little off today. Happy to take this to PM or the Horizon FPV antenna thread so as not to derail this one (again! ;) )

Keri,
Can you explain why just 10 Gimbals were sent out to 10 "select" customer. As an engineer, you and your team would certainly have the knowledge whether it was ready to be released or not? Simple question looking for a simple answer?
Allan

This doesn't look good for the folks with higher order numbers. I think all anyone is looking for is the best estimate that you have right now on when their order might be filled. Seems fair to me since you have our money. :!:

AllanVB said:
Keri,
Can you explain why just 10 Gimbals were sent out to 10 "select" customer. As an engineer, you and your team would certainly have the knowledge whether it was ready to be released or not? Simple question looking for a simple answer?
Allan

Clearly the 10 weren't followers of this forum...
Given that they are well behind all their delivery estimates, I think a full update on what's going on is called for, along with the shipping order list that was promised a few weeks back...

Watching this thread is better than following a reality show.

The exhilaration of finally buying a cool looking gimbal ! :D

The insecurity while waiting for delivery. :?

Dealing with "The List"! :shock:

Some gimbals are actually shipped !!! :p

Nobody here got one... :eek:

Not having any idea where you are on their shipping timeline... :cry:

What if it's all a hoax!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I laughed... I cried... (Actually I just laughed...) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheer up, each... I'm sure they'll be along shortly. There's a gimbal in my future and this one is leading the pack IMHO...

-slinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga