Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

teji said:
let' see technically....
-The controller board seems to be same for all.... or almost... alexmos, or open gpl compatible... we can see good results...
- motor seems to be very common to.
- camera mount seems to be 3D printed.
- to avoid video 3D error, you have to align camera lens and rear moto axis.

Then the only missing part is the rear arm and the camera holder....
Did you see this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380848477751?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

It's a 3D printed gimbal for 116$ !!!
Why not spend 1 day to make this part to modify this gimbal ?
Then, we can share the part 3D-file and everybody can print (or send-to-print to shapeways) the arm & cam holder.
Another day to find good PID parameters then job is done !
it seems to be so simple, i'm wondering why nobody do it .
Maybye must i begin today ....

Did RP publish the promised ship list then?

Just for fun I mounted a PV camera on a cheap tarot gimbal (less than $100) - it balanced up and drives fine. I just need to get around to sorting out the tilt input, which should be fairly straightforward.

MikeySoft said:
I'm new here and just ordered the P2V. I'm doing additional research and found this thread. This gimbal is very interesting but IMO, people unhappy with Rotorpixel because of the time its taking should just cancel the order. They can always reorder once it is in production.
You are correct sir, and welcome to the forum. Nobody forced anybody to accept the conditions of RotorPixel's preorder agreement video unseen, nor did anybody force them to submit their credit cards to be the first person on their block to get one. Yet they did so full well agreeing to the terms and conditions including accepting it may take take several weeks depending upon your place in the queue, accepting they maintain the right to alter the design to make it better possibly incurring additional delays, and an agreement on our part to be patient for all this to get sorted & ramped-up for final production & delivery.

This sort of thing happens on KickStarter on a daily basis esp. when the creator doesn't update his backers very often. Some update every 30-days while most update more often. Some even install Dropcam's so their backers can see their KickStarter's being produced.

My suggestion to those with cold feet or ruffled feathers is to request a refund to unburden themselves of any worries, you can always get one later. The sooner they do the sooner the rest of us patiently waiting should get ours. Complaining here won't magically produce the product any sooner unless out of shear frustration from all the harassment the creator abandons any final improvements and tweaking and starts shipping an unimproved product; there's nothing in the agreement that says he has to make it better than the minimum specifications he originally provided and we accepted. Christ, some KickStarter's take over a year to deliver esp when they outsource to China. If I'm not mistaken RotorPixel for a vision is almost if not 100% made at home in Canada.

And as far as gimbals goes, the core gimbal is no longer rocket science, its off-the-shelf. But the composition & design of the superstructure, the oversized motors, the quick-release swappable mounting system, and the prop-less images are what separates this from the rest and why I havent bothered to engineer my Tarot T2D onto my P2V. That's hundreds of development hours I'd rather spend doing other things, like flying. And BTW, the really cheap gimbals don't come with very good RTF firmware, in fact once you manage to get a working board (yes failure rate is far from perfect) you'll have to code your own or rely on others like on RCforums to do it for you. Nah... I'd rather fly.

Like a few have said previously, if you can't deal... Git' out or take a chill pill.

iDrone ;)

antennaman said:
teji said:
let' see technically....
-The controller board seems to be same for all.... or almost... alexmos, or open gpl compatible... we can see good results...
- motor seems to be very common to.
- camera mount seems to be 3D printed.
- to avoid video 3D error, you have to align camera lens and rear moto axis.

Then the only missing part is the rear arm and the camera holder....
Did you see this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380848477751?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

It's a 3D printed gimbal for 116$ !!!
Why not spend 1 day to make this part to modify this gimbal ?
Then, we can share the part 3D-file and everybody can print (or send-to-print to shapeways) the arm & cam holder.
Another day to find good PID parameters then job is done !
it seems to be so simple, i'm wondering why nobody do it .
Maybye must i begin today ....

Did RP publish the promised ship list then?

Just for fun I mounted a PV camera on a cheap tarot gimbal (less than $100) - it balanced up and drives fine. I just need to get around to sorting out the tilt input, which should be fairly straightforward.

Which gimbal did you have used exactly ? (any link ?) and what's the final result ? (any video ?) good firmware ? good stabilization ? Can we work togheter to make 3D printer parts to make it run properly ?

Some people are unhappy by nature. This is all they have in life. Get out of the basement and go out in the light.

Put yourself in Keri's position. Major demand from the forum,distributors, other businesses. Pre order is setup to try to satisfy demand on the forum. Now he had to balance all the above. How would you have done it, to maximize sales in the future and pacify everyone on the forum? "A little knowledge can be dangerous" With some on the forum obviously out to bash any information that is put out by Keri. Why post a video, only to be shredded by those unhappy with life people on the forum?

Caveat: This is not a complaint, or a whinge, just casual observation!

Keri did say there would be a list out last week, and did say he'd post video footage. For whatever reason, those didn't happen...
However -- he did apologise for the delay in shipping, but it should be in the next day or two. Hopefully at the point the list of what's shipping when will be published - that helps Keri too, if everyone knows the planned ship date for their unit, they should stop asking!

The first complaints started just hours after the initial orders were placed. Some have some serious short term memory issues:

Capture by iresq, on Flickr

As iDrone and others have said, if this is causing you stress, just cancel your order. You can always reorder later.

At least the list has been removed from play (only to be replaced with dealer orders :shock: :shock: :shock: )

Patiently I wait.

Ok you all get that out of your system now ?

We can all wait together and stop getting so cranky .

Any way I did have a question for anyone with 3D printing experience .. Does the material used in this process wear well over time ?
So by that, I mean does it have a pretty good track record for longevity . The cradle for the camera in this case is connected at the top . Does the plastic or comopund they use in this process have a high and low operating temperature . low is not important as you cant really (or probably shouldn't) fly in negative temperatures for long . But what about the other way .. does this plastic hold up well in heat ? like +30 celsius . is it going to "flex" so to speak . Would that cause a camera to slip out of the housing ? Just based on the videos I have seen it seems as though the plastic is in a forever "tight" state and was wondering what is gong to happen in summer temps .

I have had numerous items that I purchased that were printed.
Main problem I had was they were brittle.
I'm sure there's different material that they can use that's more durable.

I asked Rotorpixel if it was possible to get the cad files for the 3D printed parts so that I could make myself replacements. I want to make a new set out of Nylon as well. They have not responded so I am working on designing my own.

ABS is somewhat flexible and holds up better in higher temperatures. PLA is more brittle and warps if you say, leave it in the car on a warm day.

ABS is printed between 200°C - 230°C. PLA is printed between 160°C and 230°C so hot climate is not an issue. As for wear it -is- plastic and can be sanded, scratched, and worn but as it's use is limited to the carriage I don't expect it to be an issue. He's going for industrial printers which is a smart move because the quality of the print is important. If printed poorly, the printed layers may separate with torsion or impact, if printed well the result is a strong cohesive unit. It's even possible to chemically "melt" the outer layer of the final object which can give it even more structural integrity, but it's a difficult post-process to master and if printed properly to begin with isn't necessary.

iDrone :ugeek:

Kerranga said:
I asked Rotorpixel if it was possible to get the cad files for the 3D printed parts so that I could make myself replacements. I want to make a new set out of Nylon as well. They have not responded so I am working on designing my own.

ABS is somewhat flexible and holds up better in higher temperatures. PLA is more brittle and warps if you say, leave it in the car on a warm day.

Highly unlikely he would give this out as then you could just go about selling your own after he puts the hard work into it...obviously.

PLA has a glass-transition temperature as low as 45C meaning it starts to go soft, and can deform at that point. I would not recommend using PLA to make parts for a drone.

Scottrod said:
Kerranga said:

Highly unlikely he would give this out as then you could just go about selling your own after he puts the hard work into it...obviously.

Obviously but it never hurts to ask and I would, by nature, not be interested in making parts other than for myself. The investment in equipment alone is not worth what you could recoup selling parts to others. I am going to SL scan my P2V camera and make my own mounts. One of my printers has an build area of 8 cubic feet- overkill for this but very usefully for my other hobbies.

Thanks for all the info on the plastic ..ever since watching the videos I kept thinking about what would happen taking camera in and out if the weather is warm ..

Re: Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision Camera Tilt

I've been reading the forum with interest, but I am still unclear about fpv driven camera tilt. Is this feature available on this gimbal setup? If not available, can it be customized to function? Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniac