Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

jadebox said:
CJ31 said:
Not at all trying to hijack the thread or poo poo the rotor pixel gimbal (looks like a great piece of hardware). Just a newb trying to understand if there is an advantage to the P2V with gimbal vs P2 with gopro.

If I could go back in time and know what I know now, I would probably go the P2 + GoPro + FPV route.

But, I don't regret getting the P2V at all and, even without a new gimbal, I really enjoy it.

-- Roger

Same here

Jre said:
Now if we can only build something that will allow us to rotate the PL lens filter mid-flight. :ugeek:

I wonder if a cheap CPL would just spin from the vibrations. Just watch the monitor and snap when perfect. LOL

Jre said:
Now if we can only build something that will allow us to rotate the PL lens filter mid-flight. :ugeek:

Shouldnt need to .... though of this the other day and worked out ... test first to check settings of PL for strength in shot when turned .... then I found the filter glass element holder has 2 grooves .....

depending on direction of sun for shooting, I just take off do initial tests for flight, then I can just 'touch' filter while in flight to change 'strength' .... when groove is at 12 oclock is full minimum of PL, when groove at 3 oclock is 50%, .. and when groove at 6 oclock PL strength is full on ...

you can easily do this by maybe just putting small paint spot on exterior filter bezel ... just remember when taking filter on or off the make sure you check filter settings in case of any movement from initial test locations :)

A bit OT: You DO NOT have to adjust a polarizer once you have it set. It works the same, regardless of where you point it. The only time you have to change a polarizer is when you rotate the CAMERA and thus rotate the filter, too. Otherwise, set it and forget it.

FSJ Guy said:
A bit OT: You DO NOT have to adjust a polarizer once you have it set. It works the same, regardless of where you point it. The only time you have to change a polarizer is when you rotate the CAMERA and thus rotate the filter, too. Otherwise, set it and forget it.

Correct. A polarizer is however easy mistaken for a Neutral density (ND) filter, which also come as variable ND filters. Those will change when turned.

for those wanting the 7th channel to pitch the camera up and down via a lever- here is a free solution-

news from the German Community, one guy posted a tool to activate channel 7 control via remote. In this case tilt via smartphone is disabled but you can change it back with the tool if you want.

at least one member posted that it works-

Translation:
1. download and unrar
2. connect Phantom via USB to your PC
3. start the tool
4. check "H3 2d"
5. start "DJI Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08"
6. calibrate channel 7

http://www.drohnen-forum.de/index.php/T ... 4#post4524

and here is a cheap lever for your TX- $6.95 shipped-

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom- ... lever.html

reports coming in say this update and lever work well togther!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7973

I have tried it with the stock gimbal, and it works... As well or a little better than the control in the DJI app. I afterward installed a 100 k ohm potentiometer in the Tx (http://youtu.be/XTUSqNtt7bM) it's in german, but basically remove the stock potentiometer, and replace it with one on the front of the Tx. After calibrating it, it Works very well for me as I can very precisely set the angle, and adjust it with my index finger while controlling the PV2. I increased the value for the gimbal from 10 to 25 to get a smoothe and responsive operation.

FSJ Guy said:

Not exactly correct :)
Only if you buy a Circular Polarizer (which is the most common because of auto focus)

But there are also linear Polarizers where you have to adjust the setting depending on the direction.

Bye the way, Polarizers can also be used for other things than make the sky more blue and the colours more vibrant.
Example: It can take away reflections in glas and water, but funny enough NOT in metal!
It's not always a good idea to use Polarizers. If you for example are taking photos in the nature of a shallow stream with clear water and you remove the reflections with the polarizer, it can nearly looks like there are now water any more :shock:

Klaus said:
Not exactly correct :)
Only if you buy a Circular Polarizer (which is the most common because of auto focus)

But there are also linear Polarizers where you have to adjust the setting depending on the direction.

Bye the way, Polarizers can also be used for other things than make the sky more blue and the colours more vibrant.
Example: It can take away reflections in glas and water, but funny enough NOT in metal!
It's not always a good idea to use Polarizers. If you for example are taking photos in the nature of a shallow stream with clear water and you remove the reflections with the polarizer, it can nearly looks like there are now water any more :shock:

So would you recommend getting a circular PL over a linear PL (on a flying camera), even though the P2V doesn't have auto focus, so we don't have to worry about our direction and turning the filter?

I just ordered a linear filter with the 2% credit I got back from B&H. I'm thinking I should have them switch it with a CPL before it ships. I read on one CPL product description that there shouldn't be any problem with using CPL filters on manual cameras.

I hate to get into an argument on the internet about this, but linear and circular polarizers give the image the same effect and neither have to be re-adjusted unless, as mentioned, you rotate your camera, and thus, the filter. Unless you're crashing, this is not an issue with the Phanton2Vision camera.

Bob Atkins says it better than I can:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/te ... izers.html

Helpful hint: Take your hand (either one) and make a "gun" shape: Thumb up in the air, index finger pointed straight out and your other fingers curled up. Now, point your index finger at the sun, where ever it happens to be. (Obviously, it needs to be daylight out.)

Rotate your thumb around your index finger and you are now pointing your thumb to the area of the sky that will darken the most with a polarizing filter.

When you do this, you will see that high noon is when you will have the most "even" amount of sky darkening from a polarizing filter. At other times of the day, this shows why you will have varying amounts of sky darkening from a polarizer as you pan from one part of the horizon to another.

Hope this helps! : D

Jre said:
So would you recommend getting a circular PL over a linear PL (on a flying camera), even though the P2V doesn't have auto focus, so we don't have to worry about our direction and turning the filter?

I just ordered linear filter with the 2% credit I got back from B&H. I'm thinking I should have them switch it with a CPL before it ships. I read on one CPL product description that there shouldn't be any problem with using CPL filters on manual cameras.

You will be fine with the linear polarizer. And it probably cost less, too!

And yes, you can always use a circular polarizer on a manual focus camera. It won't care.

FSJ Guy said:

This is half true. A polarizer's effects are most noticeable when aimed at the sky at a right angle to the sun.
So as you pan about your scene the ground will stay stay relatively the same but the sky will appear to darken and lighten as you rotate.

The setting on pola filter stays the same. But the sky's effect will appear to change as the polarization of the light changes.

Having said that if you are at 90 degrees to the sun and you have the pola as dark as it will it go, the you rotate 90 in any direction the sky will appear to get lighter. Ther is nothing you can do to make that darker to match the sky that is at a right angle to the sun.

When pointed at the sun or with the sun at your back a circular pola filter has almost no effect beyond what an ND will do.

theSelf said:
for those wanting the 7th channel to pitch the camera up and down via a lever- here is a free solution-

news from the German Community, one guy posted a tool to activate channel 7 control via remote. In this case tilt via smartphone is disabled but you can change it back with the tool if you want.

at least one member posted that it works-

Translation:
1. download and unrar
2. connect Phantom via USB to your PC
3. start the tool
4. check "H3 2d"
5. start "DJI Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08"
6. calibrate channel 7

http://www.drohnen-forum.de/index.php/T ... 4#post4524

and here is a cheap lever for your TX- $6.95 shipped-

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom- ... lever.html

reports coming in say this update and lever work well togther!

I just purchased this 7th channel lever from ebay proven to work with the p2v with instructions and a video of it in action- this combined with the rotorpixel gimbal will be perfect- http://www.ebay.com/itm/261366353657

it was only going to be a mater of time before someone came up with a way of making the 7th channel work with the rotorpixel gimble well done and thanks for the tip :p

Now the question of using the lever on the back of adding pot on the front for even more control. I think I'm going with the latter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ResevorDG said:
FSJ Guy said:

This is half true. A polarizer's effects are most noticeable when aimed at the sky at a right angle to the sun.
So as you pan about your scene the ground will stay stay relatively the same but the sky will appear to darken and lighten as you rotate.

The setting on pola filter stays the same. But the sky's effect will appear to change as the polarization of the light changes.

Having said that if you are at 90 degrees to the sun and you have the pola as dark as it will it go, the you rotate 90 in any direction the sky will appear to get lighter. Ther is nothing you can do to make that darker to match the sky that is at a right angle to the sun.

When pointed at the sun or with the sun at your back a circular pola filter has almost no effect beyond what an ND will do.

Good point. You must shoot video. I shoot stills and don't have to worry about pans as much! : D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94