Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Although Rotorpixel's reputation is impeccable, before I order, I would still like to see a video with the gimbal in use, from camera POV. ;)

I haven't looked through all 39 pages on this thread but I also did a search and didn't find a specific answer to my question.

It appears that the Rotorpixel gimbal will accommodate the DJI filter adapter. Have you done any flight time trials with the gimbal AND the filter adapter carrying a mounted filter? I saw the 18 minute reference with the add-on gimbal.

It also appears that a Ragecams lens replacement can be done to the camera itself.

Interesting!

Ron

hollowneck said:
I haven't looked through all 39 pages on this thread but I also did a search and didn't find a specific answer to my question.

It appears that the Rotorpixel gimbal will accommodate the DJI filter adapter. Have you done any flight time trials with the gimbal AND the filter adapter carrying a mounted filter? I saw the 18 minute reference with the add-on gimbal.

It also appears that a Ragecams lens replacement can be done to the camera itself.

Interesting!

Ron

good question but i think that there is not a lot of people with that filter so it may be tough to answer , i too live in canada and have not found the filter readily available here

Pull_Up said:
Filter kit weighs 12g so it's not going to make a big impact unless you screw on a very heavy filter. I have a cheaper plastic-framed circular polarising filter which also weighs 12g, so a total of 24g extra to take into account, for example.

Fiar warning--I am a camera geek and shoot on high end cameras with high end lenses. For those, my cheaper filters are $125 USD and up.

Having said that the camera on the P2V is not a high end DSLR. How do the cheaper filters look on the P2V? Can you see an image quality loss?
If not I would love to save some money and buy the cheaper sets.

Also, have you tried using a sun shade to keep the shadow of the props off your lens? It's only a problem when the sun is in just the right place, but it annoys me.

My filter adaptor is coming the mail and should be here soon so now I am filter shopping.

I would love to tell you how they actually perform as opposed to how much they weigh, but the weather's been awful here since I got the kit - no flying and no photography! I've got a cheap UV/skylight filter on there basically as a lens protector only (I know there's no/very little benefit to a digital camera with a UV filter), a circ polariser and I'm waiting on delivery of a graduated ND to arrive.

Another reason for wanting a gimbal is for getting level stills in GPS mode, when I think the grad ND would work quite well. But I'm no pro and I'm going to be learning as I go having taken some advice from some of our resident pro photographers on other threads in the forum.

hollowneck said:

Save your pennies for a gimbal instead. Changing out the lens doesn't look too difficult to do. I think Ragecams is WAAY overpriced for what they "claim" to offer. Cheaper M12 lenses available on ebay and elsewhere on the interweb...

FSJ Guy said:
hollowneck said:

Save your pennies for a gimbal instead. Changing out the lens doesn't look too difficult to do. I think Ragecams is WAAY overpriced for what they "claim" to offer. Cheaper M12 lenses available on ebay and elsewhere on the interweb...

Another fishy thing about Ragecams (beyond the high price) is the sample video.

Every sample video, and probably every video you have ever taken with your P2V or Gopro has something in common. They move, pan, tilt, etc.
Ragecams video is completely static. No movement at all.
Why does this matter? H264 compression looks better when nothing is moving.
You may notice that when you have lots of stuff moving through your frame or when you are panning quickly the image looks more compressed and pixilated than when the frame is moving slowly.
Ragecames only shows a static shot and it does look great. But I will bet you that if you take the same exact image with no movement from the stock camera, it will look almost as good, or even just as good.

Excellent updates Rotorpixel. Can't wait. Take your time and get it right please. It's winter here where I am anyway, so no flying (or not much) for another two months... I can wait :)

DronePeter said:
awanderer said:
Excellent updates Rotorpixel. Can't wait. Take your time and get it right please. It's winter here where I am anyway, so no flying (or not much) for another two months... I can wait :)

Yes excellent.

But when will they start pre order?
When will they start shipping?

:roll:

First half of 2014 :D

Has anyone heard from Rotorpixel?

I'm hoping they are busy assembling and packaging the first 100 units so there is little wait time once they go live with the order button. Print the shipping label and it's off...

gpauk said:
Pull_Up said:
Well he was still up at 4:30am local on Saturday morning giving us updates, so let him have Sunday off, eh?! :)

A day off? Anyone would think we're back in the 20th Century......
They probably had a fly away... that's why they haven't posted a video. :)

I demand constant updates and 24 hour around the clock assembly. This is Foxconn right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone know if I got the 7 channel working with the lever will that be able to work with this gimbal?

mr_3_0_5 said:
Anyone know if I got the 7 channel working with the lever will that be able to work with this gimbal?

Have you got the 7th channel working with any gimbal?

DKDarkness said:
mr_3_0_5 said:

Have you got the 7th channel working with any gimbal?

The 7th channel can work with this but the news is that it won't at launch. It may work one day after some updates. It is possible. But not at launch.

Be patient, give Keri a chance. Would you rather he just sent them out on time, but maybe with issues or something, or would you prefer them to be good to go, but a little later than hoped?

All good things, comes to those that are Patient. :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna