Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Okay... still getting jello, no matter what I do. I took a look at Simon's video regarding how to properly install the dampeners, and his dampener screws are totally different than mine. He is able to pull the aluminum mount down tight over the screw and mine just floats there. The diameter of the base of the screw is apparently thinner than his... I'm guessing...

Anybody else experience this? Having ongoing jello issues?

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
Okay... still getting jello, no matter what I do. I took a look at Simon's video regarding how to properly install the dampeners, and his dampener screws are totally different than mine. He is able to pull the aluminum mount down tight over the screw and mine just floats there. The diameter of the base of the screw is apparently thinner than his... I'm guessing...

Thanks...
-slinger

Are you sure it is jello? Jello is an indication of the dampening being too hard and vibrations from the motors going into the electronics of the camera. It literally looks like the video is made of jello. Vibrations is an indication of the dampening being too soft and the dampeners overcompensating or resonating from vibration. Looks like micro shaking. Running the risk of stating the obvious: have you balanced your props?

DKDarkness said:
gunslinger said:

Thanks...
-slinger

Are you sure it is jello? Jello is an indication of the dampening being too hard and vibrations from the motors going into the electronics of the camera. It literally looks like the video is made of jello. Vibrations is an indication of the dampening being too soft and the dampeners overcompensating or resonating from vibration. Looks like micro shaking. Running the risk of stating the obvious: have you balanced your props?

Good point. This is more like micro shaking... Have you seen Simon's video where he corrects himself regarding how the dampeners should be installed? It looks like his aluminum frame is a tight fit over the OD of the knobs. It looks like it locks in. Mine don't... Should they?

Thanks again...
-slinger

DKDarkness said:
gunslinger said:

Thanks...
-slinger

How do you balance props on the phantom vision?

Soleangel said:
DKDarkness said:
gunslinger said:

Thanks...
-slinger

How do you balance props on the phantom vision?

A dubro balancer and Phantom rods (http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5371)

Quick guide to balancing props and motors: http://youtu.be/kvZGA6dJQJs?t=1h15m38s
(motor balancing on Phantom not possible in the way described, since they can't be run individually, and arms are too short...) http://youtu.be/xixni4trNq8?t=1m35s

Geert said:
Another thing you might consider is to use a ND filter.
It helps to eliminate jello. I did the test and I could see the improvement clearly, especially on sunny days.
The holder and filter for the FC200 are not expensive at all.

Geert./.

Question about the dampeners... regarding Simon's video... (at 1:50 - 1:56)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rw5d67pBSU[/youtube]

What I'm talking about in Simon's vid is the part where he pulls the aluminum gimbal frame down over the post on the locking thumbscrew and it hangs on tight... Mine just plain doesn't do that. It's a loose fit and the post on the thumbscrew can slide easily within the confines of the aluminum frame... This really confuses me.

I knew up front I'd have to tweak this thing this way and that in order to get best results and I'm in the process of doing so. If I still can't get it right I'll put up a vid so maybe you guys can see what's going on.

My main question is about how Simon's dampening configuration seems to differ greatly from mine. Simon's aluminum gimbal frame seems to be snugly held by the post of the thumb screws, which hold the frame down a bit lower and allows for more room above the gimbal frame. Any adjustments he makes, raises or lowers that aluminum gimbal frame in relation to the underside of the P2V. All I can do is compress the dampeners a bit, or not...

-slinger

Geert said:
This is how it looks here.
Mine is also not a "snug fit" like in the video.
The frame can go up and down a little bit.

Interesting... My thumb screws also have only two wings as opposed to the four that I see in your pics and on Simon's vid. Now that I know your "four wing" screws are working the same as mine, I feel better about it. :D

I'm going to contact Simon to see if I can figure out what I'm missing here... :shock:

Geert... I really appreciate your taking the time to send me those photos and set me on the right track..

-slinger

Geert said:
This is how it looks here.

The 5 wings on the thumbscrews are the old style, the new ones have only 4.
I still have the old ones too but not using them of course, just keeping them as a spare.

Geert./.

Geert:

I guess you could say mine have four, though two are kind of stubby... :D

Here's how mine look. Pretty much like yours...

dampeners01-s.jpg

Hello! I have been summoned back from YouTube land... ;)

Yes, the thumbscrew design was changed to make it easier to judge when you'd made a full revolution (rather than scrawling over it in pencil like I did). As you say my version has the aluminium pulling down snugly and I have no jello. The only other thing is that in my setup tighter was better, and I put on a factory fresh set of props (balancing vs untouched didn't make a difference in my setup). I also have a Flytrex Live stuck to the underside of the gimbal!

It's a bit of a pain but trial and error is pretty much the only way to get it.

Pull_Up said:

Yes, the thumbscrew design was changed to make it easier to judge when you'd made a full revolution (rather than scrawling over it in pencil like I did). As you say my version has the aluminium pulling down snugly and I have no jello. The only other thing is that in my setup tighter was better, and I put on a factory fresh set of props (balancing vs untouched didn't make a difference in my setup). I also have a Flytrex Live stuck to the underside of the gimbal!

Great to see you back out here, Sir Simon of Newton. And thanks for the added info. I'm going to take this up with Keri, as now I'm in OCD mode... Must find answer... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Meanwhile... I'm out for a fly to test my latest dampener tweaks... :D

-slinger

Pull_Up said:
Lucky you. It's getting dark now and it's been raining and blowing 30mph+ all day...

Pretty windy here, too... which makes for a nice gimbal test. I tightened them down a bit and it's a major improvement... :D :D :D

I just showed my wife a new video with the gimbal and an old one, without... She now understands the $400.00 purchase. :lol:

-slinger

Pull_Up said:

Heavier in terms of stable video is actually better. The heavier the gimbal, the more mass and the more it takes to make it vibrate. Other multirotors have a clean and a dirty section for the same reason. Typically the heavy battery acts as a vibration dampener resulting in much smoother video. I would think that the 1st gen rotorpixel gimbals actually perform very well as far as stable video is concerned. Attaching a Flytrex to it only makes it more stable because of the added weight to the "clean" section. Only downside to the weight is of course the reduced flight time.

Gotcher6 said:
It's here:

http://www.rotorpixel.com/store/

But I see that as of today, they finally have photos of the parts, so I can see what the part is.

By the way, I have ordered a couple of parts from thier store and they were shipped the following day.

Thanks for the link. So for us early adopters, if we wnted to upgrade to the new RP design, is it as simple as ordering 2 of the new smaller motors and the camera mount? Or is there something else we would need to order? And I assume installation would just be a matter of replacing the original parts with the new parts?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164