Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

gfredrone said:
Geert said:
Several people asked me if the props are visible in the video with a Rotorpixel gimbal.
The answer is YES and NO.
In normal conditions you will not see any props (if you follow the installation instructions from Rotorpixel).
In extreme conditions such as full speed or a hard turn, then you will see the props.
So it depends on how you fly your P2V.

In this video you see the props for a moment around 00:20 when I go full speed ahead.

Geert.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s73cGR2gp5c[/youtube]

Are you using youtube stabilization or another software stabilizer? The clouds always give it away in post. I still can't get the jello out of mine (fast flight and windy conditions) and have basically given up. On the plus side the gimbal has made my stills better. Was it worth $409 for better stills? Meh, live and learn.

Fast flight and wouldn't is difficult for any gimbal. My H3-3D only evers shows jello when travelling upwind in breezy conditions. Hover or downwind is always clean. My Rotorpixel on the other hand never shows jello in windy conditions travelling upwind, but I never fly fast in windy conditions as you can never quite get the smoothness. Try atti mode and put factory fresh props on see if that helps. I agree the stills are now very good.

Interesting email from PayPal this morning saying the following

On 11 Apr 2014, you sent a payment to [email protected] for $30.00 CAD.

The funds have been returned to your account.

This payment was returned for the following reason(s):

[email protected] did not sign up for a PayPal account or did not complete the registration process.

Please contact [email protected] to arrange an alternative payment method.
If you have any further questions, please log in to your PayPal account and go to the History subtab. Locate this transaction and click the word "Cancelled" in the Details column.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Has anyone else who paid for there gimbal using PayPal had the same

artsribanpot said:
Edim0815 said:
Hello Guys, I've been following this thread since Feb2014 and since i found out about RPG. Now, i signed up just to give an update regarding shipments. I am happy to say that I just received a shipping notification from Rotorpixel, my order# is xxxxxxx661.

Is yours #......73661 or 72661. I ordered mine on April 21st #...73193, and not received a notification of shipment yet.

Id say he's is 72661, mine is 73210 and haven't heard from them and don't expect to for another month or so.

michaeljp said:
artsribanpot said:
Edim0815 said:
Hello Guys, I've been following this thread since Feb2014 and since i found out about RPG. Now, i signed up just to give an update regarding shipments. I am happy to say that I just received a shipping notification from Rotorpixel, my order# is xxxxxxx661.

Is yours #......73661 or 72661. I ordered mine on April 21st #...73193, and not received a notification of shipment yet.

Id say he's is 72661, mine is 73210 and haven't heard from them and don't expect to for another month or so.

Yes, my order number is 72661

I still haven't had the chance to use my new Rotorpixel gimbal for anything interesting yet. But, I did make another test flight yesterday. It was a bit windy, but the video looks really good. It's almost eerie seeing how level the image stays as the camera flies around. I think a little slo-mo effect with the Jaws theme as the soundtrack might be appropriate for some of the video.

At home, when testing the gimbal by turning on the Phantom (sans props) and tilting it different directions, I ran into problems a few times with cables catching at certain angles. But, during the test flights, I haven't seen any signs of it happening. Granted, my flying time has been limited, but I think there's something about the momentum or airflow during flight that makes the problem less likelky to occur. A more logical answer, though, might be that I'm giving it a better workout on the ground and concentrating on movements that are more likely to cause problems. In any case, I am not seeing the cable-snagging problems in the in-flight videos.

I find that I can't help pushing the gimbal to its limits during test flights. So, I do a lot of quick turns and left-right rolls. Nevertheless, the video looks better than from my original Phantom even when I was flying it gently.

I did try, during this latest test flight, to slow down a little and practice things like yawing to keep something in view while flying around it. The yaw control is too sensitive as has been noted. It's difficult to yaw at just the right speed. But, I am getting better at it. It would be nice if I could mark a point on the Vision app and tell the Phantom to always point the camera that direction. I'd use that kind of feature much more often than waypoints.

Still looking forward to a real test of the Rotorpixel gimbal, but impressed so far ...

-- Roger

Geert said:
Several people asked me if the props are visible in the video with a Rotorpixel gimbal.
The answer is YES and NO.
In normal conditions you will not see any props (if you follow the installation instructions from Rotorpixel).
In extreme conditions such as full speed or a hard turn, then you will see the props.
So it depends on how you fly your P2V.

In this video you see the props for a moment around 00:20 when I go full speed ahead.

Geert.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s73cGR2gp5c[/youtube]

That' some awesome video Geert, very nice. Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how much your landscape resembles ours here in NW Montana.

Attachments

• Swan Valley.png
    Swan Valley.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 330
I flew my new RPG yesterday about 3 times.....5 minute flights each. The RPG when at rest (i.e. battery powered on but props not spinning) was totally silent. Today when I went to fly and powered up the P2V, the RPG is making a slight buzzing sound.....is this normal? It adjusts perfectly for the pitch and roll, but the appearance of the sound after being totally silent yesterday has me wondering if something is amiss. There are no wires touching or tugging and the RPG is not touching the ground as I have landing gear heighteners on, the same as yesterday.

EricT said:
I flew my new RPG yesterday about 3 times.....5 minute flights each. The RPG when at rest (i.e. battery powered on but props not spinning) was totally silent. Today when I went to fly and powered up the P2V, the RPG is making a slight buzzing sound.....is this normal? It adjusts perfectly for the pitch and roll, but the appearance of the sound after being totally silent yesterday has me wondering if something is amiss. There are no wires touching or tugging and the RPG is not touching the ground as I have landing gear heighteners on, the same as yesterday.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10814&start=40

Geert said:
gfredrone said:
EricT said:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic. ... 4&start=40

Yeah,

He posted this question in several threads.

2 threads to be exact....my sincere apologies. :roll:

EricT said:

If you examine it closely while it's making the sound, you'll probably discover something touching that shouldn't be. You might use the old mechanic's trick of listening through a straw or a tube to isolate exactly where the sound is originating.

-- Roger

wgasja said:
Interesting email from PayPal this morning saying the following

On 11 Apr 2014, you sent a payment to [email protected] for $30.00 CAD.

The funds have been returned to your account.

This payment was returned for the following reason(s):

[email protected] did not sign up for a PayPal account or did not complete the registration process.

Please contact [email protected] to arrange an alternative payment method.
If you have any further questions, please log in to your PayPal account and go to the History subtab. Locate this transaction and click the word "Cancelled" in the Details column.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Has anyone else who paid for there gimbal using PayPal had the same
If it's not a typo (several times) then the difference between "rotopixel" and "rotorpixel" might have something to do with it.

I've seen some good results by others using Sorbothane to reduce jello on various gimbals. I'm going to grab some and try it out.

gfredrone said:
I've seen some good results by others using Sorbothane to reduce jello on various gimbals. I'm going to grab some and try it out.

Hey GF im a bit behind the curve on this one, is this to reduce the buzzing that some are getting from the camera frame on the gimbal that rotorpixel said stick tape to ??

Sorbathane is good stuff but as I dont have my gimbal yet im not sure where we are talking about on the frame ?

:roll:

No this is to reduce the vibrations coming from the P2V body (props and motors) that are being transmitted to the gimbal causing jello in the video. Some on other forums have suggested putting a pad of Sorbothane between the body of the P2V and gimbal to stop these vibrations from reaching the camera and sensors on the gimbal.

Another poster here said he used a square of yoga mat between the gimbal and airframe and it solved most of his jello issues. I don't have a yoga mat lying around that my wife will let me cut up so am going the Sorbothane route.

Just cut a length off the wifes yoga mat....she wont notice lol

:D

Does anyone know if it is safe to detach the FC200 camera from the RPG cradle and then power the P2V on to see if the gimbals are silent and then know for sure the buzzing I am hearing is from the camera coming into surface contact with the RPG cradle? This way I can determine if I have to go the tape between the camera and cradle solution to eliminate the buzzing rather than going the trial and error route first. TIA.

I think you can just grab the camera/cradle and gently squeeze. The buzz will go away. I put a small piece of felt in mine when it started buzzing. Incredibly simple.

Geo

Rotorpixel shipping notice...

I know this is probably not the right thread but i have repeatedly tried to get some info from Rotorpixel, with no success, so i wondered if someone could please tell us their shipping notice and order number. Its been 14 days since laste update on their FB page, and no amount of communication attempts seems to get trough. I am just wondering if they are still shipping out.
I am a big fan of their product but their willingness to update their customers is leaving allot to be desired.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT