Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Geert said:
Thanks for your info but we like to discuss the Rotorpixel Gimbal here and not a GPS testing or whatever.
Please feel free to start your own thread about GPS.

Thank you.

Geert.

+1 There seems to be a lot of off topic stuff going on recently. :roll:

Geert said:
dkatz42 said:
sbooneaz said:
This testing has been going on for years. For what it's worth, I live in the affected area and fly full-scale regularly and have never seen a GPS hiccup. And my P2V seems to be quite happy as well...

Thanks for your info but we like to discuss the Rotorpixel Gimbal here and not a GPS testing or whatever.
Please feel free to start your own thread about GPS.

Thank you.

Geert.

This forum is now moderated. You could always ask one of the mods to look at off-topic posts by using the "report post" button or contacting them directly as the thread starter...

See: memberlist.php?mode=leaders

Canceled order 822 - geting the Vision Plus - just thought I'd give hope to everyone that ordered after me that the line got shorter. PS, replied to my original order email requesting refund and had it within a few hours.

Agreed, I think the system can be improved with better isolation of the Gimbal to the Frame.[/quote]

I think that by adjusting the thumb screws, all that is being accomplished is tuning the frequency or RPMs that can transfer through to the camera. So there will be resonating frequencies coming through at one level or another. We need isolation. If the camera were suspended by rubber bands, you would see no jello.

Installation went off without a hitch....minor oscillations from cable pulling, rerouted, so cable didn't touch the frame...this seemed to have fixed it.
Took a quick video before it got to dark. There is quite a bit of jello,... but i'll work on the dampener screws and see if I can smooth it out.

So far....Very Happy with the Gimbal, of course, I'm still learning. But I believe its a good quality product.

Thanks to all the early adopters Geert , Pull_Up and others, for their inputs and troubleshooting....made it REALLY easy to figure this out and install.

Now...when can we expect a third axis ? :)

The Rookie

BigSky said:
Agreed, I think the system can be improved with better isolation of the Gimbal to the Frame.

I think that by adjusting the thumb screws, all that is being accomplished is tuning the frequency or RPMs that can transfer through to the camera. So there will be resonating frequencies coming through at one level or another. We need isolation. If the camera were suspended by rubber bands, you would see no jello.[/quote]

Yes...I agree, I just got mine in the air, so I will have to play with it for a few days and see what gets less/more jello and go from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_Y8FjKqx4
This weekend I sunk my PV2 in the water for about 5 minutes. <RP is ordered but not installed>
Everything is working fine so far except for the Camera will not tilt at all.
Question I have is ........
Will the RP when it comes in, Are they a slight chance that the RP assembly will fix the problem? (Wishful thinking)
I know its a tad off topic, but any ideas what I need to replace before RP gets here?

RCRookie said:
That should be the case... The RP pitch motor replaces the Camera pitch motor... So you should be fine.
Oh man that would be great, I thought maybe a slight chance.....but I like my odds now!
All the more reason for it to hurry up and get here!!!!!
Probably 3-4 weeks or so away ....3065

Al Patterson said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_Y8FjKqx4
This weekend I sunk my PV2 in the water for about 5 minutes. <RP is ordered but not installed>
Everything is working fine so far except for the Camera will not tilt at all.
Question I have is ........
Will the RP when it comes in, Are they a slight chance that the RP assembly will fix the problem? (Wishful thinking)
I know its a tad off topic, but any ideas what I need to replace before RP gets here?

You didn't mention what if any maintenance you provided on your craft after the water. I lost mine in a small lake where it was submerged for about 30 minutes. I initially opened it up, rinsed it with clean water, and cleaned and treated the connectors. Added a drop of oil on each motor bearing. However, there were some connectors I didn't clean. Two on the main controller because they had glue on them, A couple more on a sub board, and the one on the GPS board that I didn't get access to. I have had some problems with it not being stable in flight. Drifting etc.

Now, I am replacing the shell because I used some thread lock when putting it back together and just discovered cracks in the shell around the screws etc. Apparently the thread lock reacted with the plastic case. So NOW I'm cleaning and treating the remaining connectors hoping this solves the drifting etc. The one connector on the GPS board happens to go to the compass so fingers crossed.

The connectors are essentially a plug and socket with metal contacts that are pushed together with friction or spring loaded. In electronics, contacts are always a weak point and a source of intermittent problems. It is very important the contact material is clean and free of debris and oxidation. I remove the connectors and visually inspect the contacts looking fr a shiny finish. I use Caig DeOxite D-5S carefully applied to the contacts. Then, I plug and unplug several times. This has the result of rubbing the contact pins against each other essentially cleaning their surfaces.

The actual electronics are sealed and can withstand the water once dried out. So, check and service your connectors and stay away from thread lock!

Geo

These water crashes are horrible to imagine...And I have been flying 'a lot' over water since I got my Vision. Its a fair statement that I read once, as I was considering buying a DJI Phantom. "If you own one of these, you will crash one of these". No truer words could be spoken.

With that said. Here is my first video with a Rotorpixel gimbal. This was out of the box installed as per instructions with no adjustments or tuning. No editing of the video other than content removal and splices.
I did watch a couple of installation videos first, and Pull_Up's informative clips on balancing the camera and tightness of the dampener thumbscrews. Also, I thank all the contributors to this thread, who have posted information, videos and tutorials , without which this would be much more difficult to get right.

In the video, I managed to highlight my poor skills, Vision feet, some props, some jello, ...but, (knock on wood), I didn't take a bath my first flight out! :cool:

http://youtu.be/Dbfz7lpLiFA

More to come.

The Rookie

Hi just to let everyone know re my tracking number it appears it was used error at the payment stage inseemnto have picked the wrong drop down menu for payment and picked a non tracking payment option. Completely my fault and not rotorpixel.

smatty2023 said:
Hi just to let everyone know re my tracking number it appears it was used error at the payment stage inseemnto have picked the wrong drop down menu for payment and picked a non tracking payment option. Completely my fault and not rotorpixel.
What number are you?

Geoelectro said:
The connectors are essentially a plug and socket with metal contacts that are pushed together with friction or spring loaded. In electronics, contacts are always a weak point and a source of intermittent problems. It is very important the contact material is clean and free of debris and oxidation. I remove the connectors and visually inspect the contacts looking fr a shiny finish. I use Caig DeOxite D-5S carefully applied to the contacts. Then, I plug and unplug several times. This has the result of rubbing the contact pins against each other essentially cleaning their surfaces.

The actual electronics are sealed and can withstand the water once dried out. So, check and service your connectors and stay away from thread lock!

Geo

I have been researching the P2V's battery contacts and the data pins conductivity issues. Geo, what about Permatex dielectric tune-up grease that is used for automotive, marine, and trailer electrical connections. I Have seen many differing posts regarding this for the P2V battery and pin contacts?

I prefer dry contacts because any liquid or grease material will attract dirt etc. Used in enclosed environments those products work well. Since the pins are easily accessible I would consider it better to just keep them clean, checking then every so often.

Geo

RCRookie said:
These water crashes are horrible to imagine...And I have been flying 'a lot' over water since I got my Vision. Its a fair statement that I read once, as I was considering buying a DJI Phantom. "If you own one of these, you will crash one of these". No truer words could be spoken.

With that said. Here is my first video with a Rotorpixel gimbal. This was out of the box installed as per instructions with no adjustments or tuning. No editing of the video other than content removal and splices.
I did watch a couple of installation videos first, and Pull_Up's informative clips on balancing the camera and tightness of the dampener thumbscrews. Also, I thank all the contributors to this thread, who have posted information, videos and tutorials , without which this would be much more difficult to get right.

In the video, I managed to highlight my poor skills, Vision feet, some props, some jello, ...but, (knock on wood), I didn't take a bath my first flight out! :cool:

http://youtu.be/Dbfz7lpLiFA

More to come.

The Rookie

That was a satisfactorily still horizon line, wasn't it? Just a little tuning to do and you'll be perfect. Aw I got all nostalgic and had to watch my first Rotorpixel vid again... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164