Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

F6Rider said:
OK, got my Gimbal installed yesterday and went for a test flight this morning early as I had other things demanding my time today. I set the thumbscrews at 6 full turns after marking them. Checked to insure no wires were pinched, checked the balance, all good so away I went.
Please dis-regard the prop shadow as the sun was still low, and I left a big greasy finger print on the lens (one more thing for my checklist) I do a full power lift with a pause at about 10' to check for stabilized hover, then do a fly around, almost got taken out by a few Geese. Here is the overly long video (it was almost 40 minutes so count your luck :lol: )

http://youtu.be/dLsF1OIYw7o

PS which darn code do you use between the 'youtube' tags to embed the video, think I tried them all with no luck

Use the full youtube path http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLsF1OIYw7o between the youtube tags

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLsF1OIYw7o[/youtube]

You guys are flying like a bunch of grandmas. Flying Ms Daisy. Maybe this is my jello problem. I need to get out of the jet stream and slow down a bit but where's the fun. I want a stabilized image going 40 mph at 400 ft.

gfredrone said:
You guys are flying like a bunch of grandmas. Flying Ms Daisy. Maybe this is my jello problem. I need to get out of the jet stream and slow down a bit but where's the fun. I want a stabilized image going 40 mph at 400 ft.
If that's your idea of fun then go for it, but at 40mph you have very little reaction time for that Opps moment. With only about 40 flights I am in no hurry to screw up and trash my Vision, I wonder how many near misses you have had? crash's, tip overs? or other less fun things. I for one cannot afford to replace this thing, being retired I can't just throw $1300 out the window thank you very much, if you can then more power to you.

Ehhh, pardon, oooh back in the day when I was a lad, we didn't have these new fangled roto pixies, just black n white and steam powered Phantoms.. :D

Looks good, don't see any jello but I notice you need to fix the "glare" from the props, I take it you have a filter on?

F6Rider said:
OK, got my Gimbal installed yesterday and went for a test flight this morning early as I had other things demanding my time today. I set the thumbscrews at 6 full turns after marking them. Checked to insure no wires were pinched, checked the balance, all good so away I went.
Please dis-regard the prop shadow as the sun was still low, and I left a big greasy finger print on the lens (one more thing for my checklist) I do a full power lift with a pause at about 10' to check for stabilized hover, then do a fly around, almost got taken out by a few Geese. Here is the overly long video (it was almost 40 minutes so count your luck :lol: )

http://youtu.be/dLsF1OIYw7o

PS which darn code do you use between the 'youtube' tags to embed the video, think I tried them all with no luck

Geert... I like the idea of extending the rubber feet on the Vision just enough to accomodate the RP... What did you use for that?

Any quick snap on option is good, if you're trying to keep it in a case.
Ive got the Go Professional case, not much extra height space if extenders are too tall... A removable (clip on) solution is ideal.

Has anyone taken a look at or heard anything on the 3dpower gimbal? Considerably cheaper and supposedly in stock. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and I doubt it will be able to add the 3rd axis upgrade, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

http://www.taco-rc.com/servlet/the-40/3 ... unt/Detail

RCRookie said:
I haven't heard anything from Keri since last week. I assume he has another 'lot' of Gimbals ready to go out tomorrow ?
:?:
Any updates are appreciated.

The Rookie

We should all be happy Keri is back home from Dominica and ramping up production. I was in Dominica earlier this week and frankly really didn't want to head back home to Toronto. I am thankful for the early P2V RP adopters as their shared experiences will make installation and tweaking of the RP easier and less prone to error for the rest of us. #621 and counting!

F6Rider said:
gfredrone said:
If that's your idea of fun then go for it, but at 40mph you have very little reaction time for that Opps moment. With only about 40 flights I am in no hurry to screw up and trash my Vision, I wonder how many near misses you have had? crash's, tip overs? or other less fun things. I for one cannot afford to replace this thing, being retired I can't just throw $1300 out the window thank you very much, if you can then more power to you.

Zero near misses, tip overs, etc. Still on the original props without a nick on them. I fly large tracts of land and need to get up over the tree line so there are not many opportunities for near misses or oops moments. I also have the need to go full stick forward to film as much property in the shortest amount of time possible. I have 3 batteries so that's about 45 minutes of footage per outing. On my last trip to the field, out of 45 minutes of video I have about 3 minutes of smooth video, all below the tree line. I was hoping for a smoother image flying these big land tracts but think I expected too much. Probably not the gimbals fault but the violent counter actions the P2V is making trying to remain stable itself sending large vibrations through the dampers to the gimbal and camera. A third axis and some prop balancing may help some but I think the P2V was built for the hobbyist in thier backyard tooling around and not as a professional aerial video/photo platform. Lesson learned!

RCRookie said:
Please post any Shipping Notifications received today.

Thanks,

The Rookie

Yes it would be nice if we did not have to keep asking for updates or progress on anything from Rotorpixel. It really is not that difficult.

After I installed my RP gimbal I did a test flight where I thrashed the P2V side to side and front to back full stick and the video from that is absolutely stable despite the P2V banking near 45 degrees. Fullt throttle forward tilted it enough to get pros in the shot, yet the video is still stable and aimed where it was. If you are seeing instability I think you need to investigate further. I'll put a video clip up if I get a chance.

peterlindsay said:
RCRookie said:

Thanks,

The Rookie

Yes it would be nice if we did not have to keep asking for updates or progress on anything from Rotorpixel. It really is not that difficult.

I'm only concerned because Keri usually comes in and posts during the week with some kind of update, but if there were no technical issues he may not.
So far its been Fridays that shipping notifications went out....but, are we assuming this to be true "every week"? Maybe he doesn't have another group ready by Friday.

I don't know. Hence, my queries.

RCRookie said:
peterlindsay said:
RCRookie said:

Thanks,

The Rookie

I'm only concerned because Keri usually comes in and posts during the week with some kind of update, but if there were no technical issues he may not.
So far its been Fridays that shipping notifications went out....but, are we assuming this to be true "every week"? Maybe he doesn't have another group ready by Friday.

I don't know. Hence, my queries.

I would think he is also trying to get product into the hands of dealers as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT