Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Got this from Kari this morning. I asked about the 3rd Axis. I think he will get on that as soon as he has the current orders caught up. Till then, I guess we just need to enjoy the greatly improved stability we have over stock, and just dream about the 3rd Gimbal and what it will be.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kari, need I ask when you think you will be getting the third Axis done?

Reply>>>>
Rotorpixel via reefnet.ca
9:44 PM (11 hours ago)

to me
Good question! I've got a couple of working prototypes, but it needs to be refined, and made more user-friendly before I can make it publicly available. One thing at a time though - we need to get on top of orders for the existing gimbal first.

Thanks,

Keri

Jhm119 said:
Hi everyone,

New to this site as a user but I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks now. Thanks for all the discussion and insight. I have a couple questions:

1. I saw that #453 just got delivered. Am I correct in assuming that was order #2453? I just ordered my gimbal this morning and my order number is 3155... Looks like I have a long time to wait.

2. This may not be the right thread but I did some video with my vision the other day and when I downloaded it to my iPad it looks good and fairly smooth (for having no gimbal). However I opened it on my Mac in iMovie and the film seems a little choppy. Has anyone else run into this? My Mac is abt 6 months old so I can't imagine it's the computer. I guess it may just appear choppy because it's displayed on the larger 27 inch screen vs the smaller iPad mini screen. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks.

I believe the last I saw report of was 2456, so you're 699 behind that. I'd hope that puts you at 7 weeks or less to shipment. You'll love the gimbal, and given the design I expect it will not take long for RP to have the 3rd axis upgrade ready as it should fit right between the current mount plate and the arm to the roll motor, though it definitely will require longer landing gear as that will likely put the camera about an inch lower.

#386 which sat in UK customs for a week gathering dust is finally in my hands some 10 days after it left Rotorpixel and 9 days after it arrived in the UK :evil:

Import VAT £46.05
Clearance Fee £13.50

Total bill £59.55

Of course it's now getting late and it's cloudy, so it will be tomorrow before I can use it I suspect... :cry:

Geert
What is your opinion on your P2V climb and flight performance?
Gimbal adds significant amount of extra weight, what is your take on that please?
Thank You

Just a thought - if the RotorPixel motors are as beefy as Keri says, how difficult would it be to hang a GoPro beneath the FC200 and have the best of both worlds? (stills from the FC200 and Video from the GoPro, or lens swap the GoPro and get 2 different focal lengths of video in one flight) You'd have to either hand catch it or add extended legs of course, and you'd pay an airtime penalty due to the added weight, but can anyone think of a reason it wouldn't work?

I might keep my P2V and Rotorpixel just to try out this config. 3D printing the appropriate bracket shouldn't be difficult at all.

I've only had my RP gimbal installed since Tues afternoon, but the two batteries worth of test flight didn't seem to show any noticeable (at least to me) degredation of flight performance. I thrashed the P2V with agressive side to side and front to back moves, causing it to bank dang near 45 degrees and it was as responsive as ever. I did a rapid ascent from about 10' to 150' again with no noticable change from previous performance. Neither flight was from a completely full battery one was used on a previous flight and neither had been charged in a couple weeks, I also pushed them a bit long to get a good discharge, but they were 11.5 and 15.5 min.

Thanks.
Assuming you are up to date with all DJI firmware updates?

Geert said:
brushlesheaven said:
Geert
Gimbal adds significant amount of extra weight, what is your take on that please?
Thank You

Actually I don't feel much difference, maybe descending goes a bit faster.
Flight performance as before.
The only important difference is the flight time.
High speed flight with aggressive movements will limit your flight time to 16 - 17 minutes.
Normal flight with low to medium speed , 18 - 19 minutes.

Geert.

pault said:
The clue is in the ;) - there is no way Pull_Up would be deliberately rude to his cousins across the pond.

Quite right, as those who know me and my sense of humour can attest - I actually do use the smilies to convey when I'm joking and never just to hide a nasty remark behind. I did PM the concerned poster to explain anyway. Hate for anyone not to have noticed I've actually got a soft spot for the Yanks... :)

Back to Blighty soon and looking forward to getting my Union Jack arm stickers on the Vision and getting some more nice video with the Rotorpixel but also experimenting with stills. The last flight I took a couple and they came out a little crisper than before the Rotorpixel to my amateur eye... Makes sense really given the stability. Nice to be able to use the GPS mode and not have to flick to atti just to get a level horizon.

brushlesheaven said:
Thanks.
Assuming you are up to date with all DJI firmware updates?

Geert said:
brushlesheaven said:
Geert
Thank You

Actually I don't feel much difference, maybe descending goes a bit faster.
Flight performance as before.
The only important difference is the flight time.
High speed flight with aggressive movements will limit your flight time to 16 - 17 minutes.
Normal flight with low to medium speed , 18 - 19 minutes.

Geert.

I got very similar numbers to Geert indeed, but again I've not updated to the latest firmware as I've been on holiday for 2 weeks. I was never much of a sport flyer but then again for optimum video you want be smooth on the sticks, even with a gimbal. Climb performance is a little affected, but not to the point where you notice it particularly. There is a little extra inertia from carrying the extra mass, so it takes a little longer to stop if you centre the sticks at the end of a fast run. However a little opposite stick to give the electronics a hand soon has it stopping where you want it again, and the gimbal soaks up the pitch changes too.

wp6529 said:
Jhm119 said:
Hi everyone,

New to this site as a user but I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks now. Thanks for all the discussion and insight. I have a couple questions:

1. I saw that #453 just got delivered. Am I correct in assuming that was order #2453? I just ordered my gimbal this morning and my order number is 3155... Looks like I have a long time to wait.

2. This may not be the right thread but I did some video with my vision the other day and when I downloaded it to my iPad it looks good and fairly smooth (for having no gimbal). However I opened it on my Mac in iMovie and the film seems a little choppy. Has anyone else run into this? My Mac is abt 6 months old so I can't imagine it's the computer. I guess it may just appear choppy because it's displayed on the larger 27 inch screen vs the smaller iPad mini screen. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks.

I believe the last I saw report of was 2456, so you're 699 behind that. I'd hope that puts you at 7 weeks or less to shipment. You'll love the gimbal, and given the design I expect it will not take long for RP to have the 3rd axis upgrade ready as it should fit right between the current mount plate and the arm to the roll motor, though it definitely will require longer landing gear as that will likely put the camera about an inch lower.

Thank you wp6529 for the heads up. 7 weeks is an eternity, but worth it I'm sure.

Mosleyh said:
Just a thought - if the RotorPixel motors are as beefy as Keri says, how difficult would it be to hang a GoPro beneath the FC200 and have the best of both worlds? (stills from the FC200 and Video from the GoPro, or lens swap the GoPro and get 2 different focal lengths of video in one flight) You'd have to either hand catch it or add extended legs of course, and you'd pay an airtime penalty due to the added weight, but can anyone think of a reason it wouldn't work?

I have Polaroid XS100 that is about the same quality and weight as a GoPro. In any case, it records a bit better video than the Vision's camera. I'm considering hanging it from the bottom of the gimbal under the Vision camera. I installed a set of "extended landing gear" so I think there's room for it although it would limit the movement of the gimbal a little.

I'm going to have a friend with a 3D printer look at it to see if he can make me a mount for the set up. But, first I'll probably try to set up a test to see if it taxes the servos too much or not.

-- Roger

I haven't heard anything from Keri since last week. I assume he has another 'lot' of Gimbals ready to go out tomorrow ?
:?:
Any updates are appreciated.

The Rookie

RCRookie said:
I haven't heard anything from Keri since last week. I assume he has another 'lot' of Gimbals ready to go out tomorrow ?

The Rookie
In theory, mine should be next - #457. No notifications yet.

jimre said:
RCRookie said:

The Rookie
In theory, mine should be next - #457. No notifications yet.

Yeah, I'm #463...So I'm on email vigil until 6pm tomorrow CST! lol :D

Another pile is coming out. Apparently, my gimbal will be in it. Hopefully... I'm #477, from February, 10th!

OK, got my Gimbal installed yesterday and went for a test flight this morning early as I had other things demanding my time today. I set the thumbscrews at 6 full turns after marking them. Checked to insure no wires were pinched, checked the balance, all good so away I went.
Please dis-regard the prop shadow as the sun was still low, and I left a big greasy finger print on the lens (one more thing for my checklist) I do a full power lift with a pause at about 10' to check for stabilized hover, then do a fly around, almost got taken out by a few Geese. Here is the overly long video (it was almost 40 minutes so count your luck :lol: )

http://youtu.be/dLsF1OIYw7o

PS which darn code do you use between the 'youtube' tags to embed the video, think I tried them all with no luck

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT