Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Right!

Whilst the video is waiting on youtube to do its thing, the answers to some questions:

Import Duty, etc - I don't know because I haven't got the invoice breakdown yet, and the rules seem very odd about whether you include shipping and what have you so I'll wait for the paperwork to give a definitive answer, as it might be different depending what shipping option you went for. Also I need to see whether Royal Mail charged me the higher or lower handling fee. We shall see next week.

Cases and storage - it is pretty straight forward to take the camera of the gimbal. I'm just going to use the bubble wrap the gimbal came in to wrap up the camera and put in under the aircraft in my case. Alternatively if you have pick and pluck just make another divot!

Fit and finish - it looks really nice, guys. The 3D printing is definitely high quality industrial printing, not done on a Makerbot! The custom housing for the control board and gimbal IMU look great. The connectors all look to have had a dab of sealant added to prevent anything coming loose. All nice.

Flytrex - on my installation there is room for the Flytrex sitting on top of the gimbal control board enclosure, between that and the aircraft underside. I'll await confirmation from Rotorpixel whether I'm too loose on the thumb screws before fixing it permanently there, though.

Flight video - didn't make one in the end. I had a meeting with someone after lunch then it was time to get the kids. I wanted to balance the gimbal for the lens filter kit (although it powered up and levelled just fine without adjustments) as I want to do a proper job. Can't fly tomorrow, but Sunday's looking great weather and I've got a pass, so more then. Certainly just "hand flying" it the camera is held rock steady out of the box.

Right, off to see if it's uploaded yet...

All sounds positive so far !?

Nice one Mr PU :D

Pull_Up said:
Right!

Whilst the video is waiting on youtube to do its thing, the answers to some questions:

Import Duty, etc - I don't know because I haven't got the invoice breakdown yet, and the rules seem very odd about whether you include shipping and what have you so I'll wait for the paperwork to give a definitive answer, as it might be different depending what shipping option you went for. Also I need to see whether Royal Mail charged me the higher or lower handling fee. We shall see next week.

Cases and storage - it is pretty straight forward to take the camera of the gimbal. I'm just going to use the bubble wrap the gimbal came in to wrap up the camera and put in under the aircraft in my case. Alternatively if you have pick and pluck just make another divot!

Fit and finish - it looks really nice, guys. The 3D printing is definitely high quality industrial printing, not done on a Makerbot! The custom housing for the control board and gimbal IMU look great. The connectors all look to have had a dab of sealant added to prevent anything coming loose. All nice.

Flytrex - on my installation there is room for the Flytrex sitting on top of the gimbal control board enclosure, between that and the aircraft underside. I'll await confirmation from Rotorpixel whether I'm too loose on the thumb screws before fixing it permanently there, though.

Flight video - didn't make one in the end. I had a meeting with someone after lunch then it was time to get the kids. I wanted to balance the gimbal for the lens filter kit (although it powered up and levelled just fine without adjustments) as I want to do a proper job. Can't fly tomorrow, but Sunday's looking great weather and I've got a pass, so more then. Certainly just "hand flying" it the camera is held rock steady out of the box.

Right, off to see if it's uploaded yet...
ok alright, hurry up. I want to see.

Good unboxing... It looks very well done and very well thought out. I'm going to wait for the first onslaught of sales to clear up before I snag one. But... Snag one I will... I can't wait to see the flight videos and your take on flight time, agility, etc...

Cool Video... :D

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Good unboxing... It looks very well done and very well thought out. I'm going to wait for the first onslaught of sales to clear up before I snag one. But... Snag one I will... I can't wait to see the flight videos and your take on flight time, agility, etc...

Cool Video... :D

-slinger
Me too. :D

In addition to the months of entertainment this thread has supplied the gimbal looks like a great, well engineered device. Truly Plug-and-Play. Looking forward to some actual footage. Now comes the hurry up and wait part. #524 uggg.

Yep, sorry you got there before me. Some things to clear up after having a chat with Rotorpixel:

1. The way I have the thumbscrews is WRONG! I mean I've put them in the right place and all that (I'm not THAT useless) but what I didn't do was to then push them all the way into the dampers and pull everything down so both screws and rubber nuts are flush. Suddenly I've got a lot more clearance from the underside and the Flytrex can go back into its cosy home!

2. I have now balanced the pitch axis for my filter kit plus lens cap (this is broadly the same weight as my circ pol.) If I go without filter the cam tends to tip up away from the ground which is preferable for me. I've had it confirmed that chattering on the ground where the filter kit is grounding won't bother the motors, but obviously don't let it sit like that for hours. It's also best practice (though not required) to balance the roll axis - this is actually quite easy to do with everything in situ as the adjustment screws can be got at by just tilting the camera away. My camera now sits nicely almost perfectly square when I lift the aircraft up with the power off.

That's about it. I won't be able to get any flying in tomorrow until the late afternoon - so if there's good light I'll try and do something then.

(Oh, and due to popular request the coffee mug made a guest appearance - sadly no dog, though).

Pull_Up said:
Yep, sorry you got there before me. Some things to clear up after having a chat with Rotorpixel:

1. The way I have the thumbscrews is WRONG! I mean I've put them in the right place and all that (I'm not THAT useless) but what I didn't do was to then push them all the way into the dampers and pull everything down so both screws and rubber nuts are flush. Suddenly I've got a lot more clearance from the underside and the Flytrex can go back into its cosy home!

2. I have now balanced the pitch axis for my filter kit plus lens cap (this is broadly the same weight as my circ pol.) If I go without filter the cam tends to tip up away from the ground which is preferable for me. I've had it confirmed that chattering on the ground where the filter kit is grounding won't bother the motors, but obviously don't let it sit like that for hours. It's also best practice (though not required) to balance the roll access - this is actually quite easy to do with everything in situ as the adjustment screws can be got at by just tilting the camera away. My camera now sits nicely almost perfectly square when I lift the aircraft up with the power off.

That's about it. I won't be able to get any flying in tomorrow until the late afternoon - so if there's good light I'll try and do something then.

(Oh, and due to popular request the coffee mug made a guest appearance - sadly no dog, though).
Thanks cant wait for the new videos.

So the black rubber nuts should go all the way into the white dampening balls? Can you clarify with a picture?

gfredrone said:
So the black rubber nuts should go all the way into the white dampening balls? Can you clarify with a picture?
And, do they go in before you mount the gimbal?

You got it. Here's a picture how it should be with something in shot for scale...

a7a2y5as.jpg

And here's where the Flytrex can still merrily live:

jepuqu3e.jpg

Sorry, those pictures WEREN'T BIG ENOUGH!

(Bloody Tapatalk)

Anyway, yes drop the rubber nuts in, thread the thumb screws in the them by turning 6 to 8 times, then pull the dampers down so the nuts sit flush, push the thumb screws up so they sit flush. The if you get vibrations it's just a question of fine tuning them out by dialling all the screws up a turn at a time or down until you hit the absolute sweet spot. I might do some low level garden flying to see if it needs tuning before I go out and about - it might be great out of the box, everyone's dampers will have a little different amount of stretch.

As an added bonus in the event of a crash or aggressive manoeuvre that gimbals staying stick to your aircraft...!

Pull_Up said:
Sorry, those pictures WEREN'T BIG ENOUGH!

(Bloody Tapatalk)

Anyway, yes drop the rubber nuts in, thread the thumb screws in the them by turning 6 to 8 times, then pull the dampers down so the nuts sit flush, push the thumb screws up so they sit flush. The if you get vibrations it's just a question of fine tuning them out by dialling all the screws up a turn at a time or down until you hit the absolute sweet spot. I might do some low level garden flying to see if it needs tuning before I go out and about - it might be great out of the box, everyone's dampers will have a little different amount of stretch.

As an added bonus in the event of a crash or aggressive manoeuvre that gimbals staying stick to your aircraft...!
Please show the thumb screws thing in a video.

Pull_Up said:
Honestly!

I'll see what I can do later. It will be hitting into my drinking time, though, so I'm going to put ads all over it...! ;)

Thanks for the video and the updates and the nice info! You have succeded where RotorPixel has failed! KERI: please send the very first version of your 3-axis gimbal to Simon, and let him do the videos and instructions! There is a saying: It doesen't have to be perfect, is has to finished :)

That said, Simons video is close to perfect :D

Got my rotorpixel gimble everything went together nicely, very impressed so far will take it out for a test flight tommarow,

But..............

i dont have control of the gimble on in the app anymore... before the install i had gimble control... now... Nothing... just sits there pointing straight forward....

Anyone experience this?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finestheatingn