Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

pyrophantom said:
Am I imagining it but had Keri not been on here earlier saying they had not seen any reception issues with the production gimbals ?

This is what Keri said on the youtube thread:

"PROMOVISION DR
2 weeks ago

I´ll like to read more information about and of course, FLYING VIDEOS!!!
·
ROTORPIXEL
2 weeks ago

+PROMOVISION DR One of the antennas does have a motor in front of it, which of course will decrease the reception/transmission on the one side by some amount. However, we've flown a few test units 400 feet high, and maintained full video transmission still. The side without the motor is cutaway, so the plastic doesn't cover the antenna (although plastic doesn't attenuate electromagnetic radiation [i.e. wi-fi] much at all, so this doesn't even matter).

There is no simple way around partially interfering with one of the antennae, without using a pulley system with an motor offset... but then the gimbal would no longer reap the benefits of the direct drive brushless gimbal system (no gears, and zero slop)."

It's dronexpert's not rotorpixel.

Excerpt:

...you ask how the Wi-Fi is with the gimbal installed? It sucks! Well, go figure, they design the motor adjacent to the camera's Wi-Fi antenna. In fact, their apparatus covers both sides of the camera right where the words are imprinted "Do not obstruct sides of camera, will affect signal" or something like that.

I'm used to getting 1,200 ft. both video and controller. After gimbal installation I drop video at around 75'.

I couldn't deal with that so I took the camera apart to better understand the antenna configuration. Got my drill, hot glue gun, and the good book for luck and came up with a mod that put the 2 antennas on the outside of the camera. My video Wi-Fi link now is stronger than it has ever been. I'm disappointed that this is not mentioned in Dronexpert's FAQ or support information. Here is my P2V after my mod. It may not win any beauty contest but I didn't buy it for her good looks. She sure produces fluid video though. I'm sitting here right now in fact in high winds preparing to see how she does.

http://flic.kr/p/kytGeT

Crap, Flicker changed how to embed. Oh well.

Well, look at this... only posting here cause everybody that owns a PV2 will seeeeeee.

Attachments

• ground.png
    ground.png
    389.2 KB · Views: 448
iResq said:
It's dronexpert's not rotorpixel.

Excerpt:

...you ask how the Wi-Fi is with the gimbal installed? It sucks! Well, go figure, they design the motor adjacent to the camera's Wi-Fi antenna. In fact, their apparatus covers both sides of the camera right where the words are imprinted "Do not obstruct sides of camera, will affect signal" or something like that.

I'm used to getting 1,200 ft. both video and controller. After gimbal installation I drop video at around 75'.

I couldn't deal with that so I took the camera apart to better understand the antenna configuration. Got my drill, hot glue gun, and the good book for luck and came up with a mod that put the 2 antennas on the outside of the camera. My video Wi-Fi link now is stronger than it has ever been. I'm disappointed that this is not mentioned in Dronexpert's FAQ or support information. Here is my P2V after my mod. It may not win any beauty contest but I didn't buy it for her good looks. She sure produces fluid video though. I'm sitting here right now in fact in high winds preparing to see how she does.
send a pic please

iResq said:
AllanVB said:
send a pic please

You'll have to click the link until I can figure out where flicker decided to hide the bb code.

I'm not sure why he oriented the antennas that way though. I would have kept the orientation the same as in the camera. I'm not sure if those patch antennas are directional. The Rotorpixel would only need one antenna brought outside. Sure isn't very pretty.
Here's a link to a stick on flexible antenna that would do the trick.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...4fIvzPs23BzcVW2N6wxbFxYEI1NT6BQbKoHoSMjRZBw==

AllanVB said:
AllanVB said:
Well, look at this... only posting here cause everybody that owns a PV2 will seeeeeee.
and then.....

I think DJI means you will have to add bluetooth to the phantom 2 OR have a phantom 2 vision for ground station to work.

Ground Station capabilities and my rotorpixel gimbal getting here all within the next couple of weeks! I'm freaking out man!!!

seems like the novelty of autonomous flight will wear off fairly quickly. heck, i dont even have the guts to test the RTH feature because the thought of turning off the controller scares me to death..lol. at some point i will test it, but not anytime soon.

tizzl10 said:
seems like the novelty of autonomous flight will wear off fairly quickly. heck, i dont even have the guts to test the RTH feature because the thought of turning off the controller scares me to death..lol. at some point i will test it, but not anytime soon.

Not a novelty when used for business purposes. Using waypoints for aerial photography or videography will come in handy on most circumstances I can imagine.

tizzl10 I do agree with you to some extent. I'd like to play with it on the Vision more as a "cool toy" than anything else, and I personally wouldn't dream of pushing it beyond line of sight (assuming that's even possible with the Vision waypoints when they arrive). However I know lots of people probably will, and they won't have checked out the route they picked for obstacles, and they will either fly far too low or (even more worrying) far too high without being able to keep a lookout. My worry is that ground station/waypoints entering the hobby end of the range is going to cause a lot more aircraft crashes due to collisions with "stuff", and possibly more "newsworthy" incidents where the things collided with are power lines, or phone lines, or people's roofs or worse...

tizzl10 said:

I agree.

Since all it allows you to do is fly from A to B to C ... without any sort of programmable camera/gimbal control - it's pretty much useless in my world.

Plus, as has been alluded to previously - I'm sure that there will be a fair number of people who won't consider obstacles in the flight path. I'm wondering if AMA's insurance will cover autonomous flight in a (most likely) unauthorized area...

GneeChee said:
tizzl10 said:

I agree.

Since all it allows you to do is fly from A to B to C ... without any sort of programmable camera/gimbal control - it's pretty much useless in my world.

Plus, as has been alluded to previously - I'm sure that there will be a fair number of people who won't consider obstacles in the flight path. I'm wondering if AMA's insurance will cover autonomous flight in a (most likely) unauthorized area...

there is a cheap heil on the market for about £50 that users way points. my self its not something I would do, be it a heil or phantom I like to know that am in control not some app, not for me at all

OldFlyer said:
iResq said:
AllanVB said:
send a pic please

You'll have to click the link until I can figure out where flicker decided to hide the bb code.

I'm not sure why he oriented the antennas that way though. I would have kept the orientation the same as in the camera. I'm not sure if those patch antennas are directional. The Rotorpixel would only need one antenna brought outside. Sure isn't very pretty.
Here's a link to a stick on flexible antenna that would do the trick.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...4fIvzPs23BzcVW2N6wxbFxYEI1NT6BQbKoHoSMjRZBw==

Here's the pic

Attachments

• antennamod.jpg
    antennamod.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 445

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus