Release DJI Ground Station for P2V+ Waypoints app 1.0.41

Re: Release DJI Ground Station for P2V+ Waypoints app 1.0.4

The Ground Station definition from DJI screwed me up to. The actual Ground Station is a very elaborate stand alone hardware and software system and can be seen here http://www.dji.com/product/ipad-ground-station . But, DJI also refers to the integrated autonomous flight waypoint system that now comes inside the Phantom Vision + android app as "Ground Station" as well and this can be seen seen here http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus. Also, while in the on screen settings of the phantom app you must enable "Ground Station" in order to use the waypoint flying abilities of the V2+. To me these are in essence the same thing, they just achieved in a different way. It took me a while to figure this out because of DJI's use of the words "Ground Station". I feel to cut down of confusion especially to beginners like myself they need to refer to the V2+ app version as "Waypoint of GPS" flying and not "Grounthe d Station" because I was doing tons of searches and it kept sending me to the hardware system. But yes the V2+ can in fact perform autonomous flight by the use of GPS waypoints software that is integrated inside the DJI Vision App.

Re: waypoint app and maps on PV2+

kymedic121 said:
michaeljp said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
When you say you downloaded the maps was that caching them using google maps? Best thing to do is open the phantom app while you have internet connection and zoom into the area you are going to be flying and they will cache in the app, dont use google maps to do this.

Gday Mal, i dont understand what is meant by caching. What i did was open google maps to the area im in then saved that map in the drop down menu. When i first opened the waypoint app no map showed up at all, i waited and waited but no map just the grid lines. The phantom was ready to fly but no map was visible in the app until i did what i described with the maps.

From what I understand is that when you get to your flight location while still logged into your service providers wifi network open the DJI software and enable your Ground Station in the settings mode, then go to your camera mode and swipe the screen and wait for map to appear. From the way I understand this all must be done in regular wifi mode before connecting to your phantoms wifi device. Once this is done, you should have cached maps. If this is wrong someone please tell me.
You don't have to be logged into your service provider at your new location as long as you cache a map of that area. My mini iPad is wifi only so can't log into my provider. I just cache in google maps the area I'm flying in. I find the area I'm flying then type "ok maps" in the google maps box and it saves it for me.

This may be a particularly dense question, but when I go to the link for the Apple site, I see the DJI Vision app, but all I am able to do is open the already installed, original, app. Not the new one. I'm having a tough time unravelling just how to get the new GS version of the app.

Any guidance you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pretty simple...I guess that's what RTFM is all about. Thanks for the help, now if I could only get FPV working again. Cheers

Having so much fun with this app. Love to send it out over my neighborhood, lose LOS and just wait for the return, which it always does with a great video.
BTW, while this answer is probably in the 30 pages of this thread somewhere, how do we increase the radius of the circle that we can put the way points in?

Hovtech said:
BTW, while this answer is probably in the 30 pages of this thread somewhere, how do we increase the radius of the circle that we can put the way points in?

We can't, until someone hacks the app.

They always come back, or die trying!

Opwan said:
I can't get my nerve to send it BVR! Someone give me a push! I'm afraid it won't come back. :D Once the waypoints are in the Phantom it is Ok to send it out past transmitter signals? I have the full Ground Station, just wanting to make sure.

It's OK to send it out past your transmitter signal. It will complete it's route, return home and hover. Go ahead and try it. It's fun. Just be careful with that first waypoint! When you tell it to go, it will take off and hover maybe 10 ft above the takeoff point, then fly directly to the first point. Be sure that there are no obstacles between you and that first point. I like to set the first point very close to takeoff with the altitude at 200 feet or so.

We should say it this way, it gains altitude more like a plane than a helicopter. So beware. I take it up to 150 ft and then hit the Go button.

Is anyone using the new waypoint app with firmware 3.0? I know DJI says it's incompatible but I thought I heard someone once say that it worked... Thanks.

When using GS and its on its way home will the phantom return home and just hover waiting for me to take back control by toggling the S1 and then back to GPS or will it go ahead and land itself? Also, thanks for confirming my assumption that it would fly straight toward the first waypoint as it climbs to altitude, I was afraid it would do that. I will be setting first waypoint as close to home position as possible. Thanks guys, you are all a huge help. Truly means a great deal to me.

srandall25 said:
Is anyone using the new waypoint app with firmware 3.0? I know DJI says it's incompatible but I thought I heard someone once say that it worked... Thanks.

I'm using it with 3.0. It doesn't climb at all before heading to the first waypoint - it tilts forward immediately on the ground nearly hitting the props. I lift off manually 10 feet or so before pressing go. Otherwise it seems to do everything else as expected.

The basic capability to upload waypoints appears to have been in the firmware at least back to 1.08. There were probably some tweaks added to the latest versions once the app was available for testing.

kymedic121 said:
When using GS and its on its way home will the phantom return home and just hover waiting for me to take back control by toggling the S1 and then back to GPS or will it go ahead and land itself?
It hovers over home at the altitude of the last waypoint until you take control by toggling S1.

Opwan said:
What's so bad about the latest firmware update?
I didn't say it's bad. The reduced maximum bank angle in 3.04 limits the top speed in GPS mode to about 22 miles per hour. With 3.0 it's about 34 mph. That's fine for most but not for me. ATTI might not have the same limit, but I haven't seen anybody verify that and it didn't occur to me to try it when I flew another guy's Vision+ a couple of weeks ago.

I researched and bought my P2V+ only after verifying that it could top 30 mph. Within 2 weeks after purchase, DJI (arbitrarily in my view) lowered the limit well below that. I wouldn't have bought the Phantom with that new limit.

Where I plan to video in August, on the north Oregon Coast, 22 mph may often be too slow make significant progress getting back to home against the wind. FW 3.00 gives greater safety margin and likely several more hours per day available for filming. There's nothing I need in 3.04, or 3.05 for that matter, since mine flies straight after I rotated the compass double the magnetic declination around here.

And as I mentioned earlier, Ground Station works fine as far as I can tell. I haven't even noticed the "crabbing" issue some have talked about.

I'll reconsider updating after the middle of August if: 1- The compass error issue is fixed; 2- DJI provides a capability to override the bank angle limit in the Assistant or; 3- I find that the speed limit isn't as big a deal as I thought; 4- Somebody discovers that there is some real definable issue with running Ground Station on firmware 3.00.

D_Tshudy said:
Hovtech said:

We reversed engineered the script I have a version that I'm currently testing with unlimited boundaries.

2XD said:
D_Tshudy said:
Hovtech said:

We reversed engineered the script I have a version that I'm currently testing with unlimited boundaries.

Intresting...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka