RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

OI Photography said:
I think you can mount the antenna near the compass without any interference from the signal, as long as none of the metal components of the Tx or antenna get too close.

Too close and you could be influencing the compass with EMI.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
Cool...never knew about those-I definitely need to get out more ;)
But, I have a dilemma-IF, I had the 3rd axis(Tppacks)-doesn't it have a bit of a rear "shelf"?? Also, without popping the top on my Phantom, it appears my VTX leads may be a tad short.

What about having the VTX antenna near the compass? Any problems there?

Are you talking about this (which I didn't even know was released till you mentioned the name)? http://tppacks.com/store/index.php?rout ... duct_id=60

If so, then you probably won't be able to use Dewey's undertray(s), I don't see how they could be mounted at the same time.

I think you can mount the antenna near the compass without any interference from the signal, as long as none of the metal components of the Tx or antenna get too close.
Yea-that 3rd axis kit.

My plan is; to mount the VTX on the center rear of that thing, with the antenna facing directly back, and down.

ianwood said:

Very true, and I don't know how big of a field these can have.

havasuphoto said:
Yea-that 3rd axis kit.

My plan is; to mount the VTX on the center rear of that thing, with the antenna facing directly back, and down.

That's a common mounting arrangement, and as long as it's on the centerline of the aircraft (L/R) you should be far enough from the compass. It would be easy to bench test it by powering on the Phantom and connecting to the software to watch your compass values, and then check the Tx while it's also powered on and just hold it in different positions to see the results. Just be sure to have the antenna connected when you do.

OI Photography said:
ianwood said:

Very true, and I don't know how big of a field these can have.

havasuphoto said:
Yea-that 3rd axis kit.

That's a common mounting arrangement, and as long as it's on the centerline of the aircraft (L/R) you should be far enough from the compass. It would be easy to bench test it by powering on the Phantom and connecting to the software to watch your compass values, and then check the Tx while it's also powered on and just hold it in different positions to see the results. Just be sure to have the antenna connected when you do.
That's a very good idea!! You would instantly see the compass values change in the Naza Software. Thanks.

Still awaiting "reports" on the different antenna's-especially Patch type antenna's.

You will definitely need to re-calibrate the compass so incorporate that into your test. It really comes down to whether or not the compass can get enough magnetic information through the additional EMI noise of the vTX. You will likely need to try it in actual flight to see if you get the telltale toilet bowl or flying at odd angles.

ianwood said:
You will definitely need to re-calibrate the compass so incorporate that into your test. It really comes down to whether or not the compass can get enough magnetic information through the additional EMI noise of the vTX. You will likely need to try it in actual flight to see if you get the telltale toilet bowl or flying at odd angles.
I'm not going to worry about that now....probably mount it on a plate, pointing directly back in the center, and down.
With the 3rd axis, the landing gear is extended 22mm....so, I'm hoping to mount the circular polarizing antenna so the "mushroom" is below the Zen/go pro, and about a mm or 2 above the landing gear.

However-I really don't have a range issue right now with my set-up, for video. I have a range issue with the Futaba T8J controller/receiver.

Slightly off-topic but didn't want to start a new thread since this was somewhat related. I'm one of those poor souls who gets horrible range using the IRC 600mw in tandem with the Black Pearl. From what I've read here, my understanding is that the IRC 600 mw has a limited number of receivers that it "plays well with".

Proceeding on the assumption that it will be more economical to replace the vtx than the ground station, what vtx is known to be working well with the Black Pearl? I'm not interested in using goggles. I also understand that some have no issue with the IRC/BP combination, but it is not working out for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

(some details for those who are interested)

IRC mounted rear center of PS with SpiroNET pointed to the rear and angled straight down (different antenna have been tried)
BP utilizes Flysight CP x2
@ 40-60m, I can get to about 150m distance before serious video degradation.

Muddie said:
Slightly off-topic but didn't want to start a new thread since this was somewhat related. I'm one of those poor souls who gets horrible range using the IRC 600mw in tandem with the Black Pearl. From what I've read here, my understanding is that the IRC 600 mw has a limited number of receivers that it "plays well with".

Proceeding on the assumption that it will be more economical to replace the vtx than the ground station, what vtx is known to be working well with the Black Pearl? I'm not interested in using goggles. I also understand that some have no issue with the IRC/BP combination, but it is not working out for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

(some details for those who are interested)

IRC mounted rear center of PS with SpiroNET pointed to the rear and angled straight down (different antenna have been tried)
BP utilizes Flysight CP x2
@ 40-60m, I can get to about 150m distance before serious video degradation.

hey there. there are two solutions for you here: 1.you can try the fatshark 250mw tx. some people have seen better than IRC 600mw but not sure about the max range. 2. get the IRC v2 uno receiver and attach to your monitor(similar price to fatshark 250mw tx) but you will guarantee rock solid video over 2km for sure!

leekawey said:
hey there. there are two solutions for you here: 1.you can try the fatshark 250mw tx. some people have seen better than IRC 600mw but not sure about the max range. 2. get the IRC v2 uno receiver and attach to your monitor(similar price to fatshark 250mw tx) but you will guarantee rock solid video over 2km for sure!

Thanks for the reply. I will try the Fatshark 250mw solution first (if I can find one) as I'd like to keep the Black Pearl and the clean, wireless ground station solution it provides. Failing that, I'll have to rethink the ground station setup. I don't need excessive range, so hopefully the change in vtx will do the trick.

havasuphoto said:
However-I really don't have a range issue right now with my set-up, for video. I have a range issue with the Futaba T8J controller/receiver.

What's the issue with the 8J range? Have you tried the extension antennae for the Futaba Rx?

Regarding the tx mounting position. I did mount it to the back like most people. But I had issue while I coming back from long distance like 2000m. Now I have moved my tx and let the spironet coming out from the right side compass side. Problem solved! 360' at distance of 2000m. Check the compass reading no problem at all. Highly recommend to everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 612
leekawey said:
I have tried that but it switches to RTH around 1.5km

That is pretty close. I can think of few reasons. Where is your controller antenna pointing? Try keep it left or right even up but not forward. Is your controller set to FCC mode? Are you using rechargeable battery for your controller? May be not relevant but I think the recharge battery is 1.2v and normal Duracell is 1.5v. And try position your video tx antenna away from P2 antenna. I have open the p2 cover and simply cut off the cable tie and extended the back antenna by 1 inch than it original was.

And please try fatshark goggles. You will be surprised.[/quote]

Well I extended both antennas by around 1 inch and just completed a test flight. I think this has actually made a bit of a difference as I managed 1700m this time before RTH kicked in, so another 100m or so on last test.

goldfishrock said:
havasuphoto said:

What's the issue with the 8J range? Have you tried the extension antennae for the Futaba Rx?
No. I've seen them somewhere...but, I wasn't sure if they were "plug and play".....

Went out and did some testing Today and got much further distance, and some interesting observations on Channel Selection of the VTX/RX.
First, let me start off by saying I have the Boscam TS832, which is supposed to be 600mw, but has been tested by a few users, and the results were from 177 to over 300mw-depending on who did the testing. Here's a thread that may shed some light on this;
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20465-BOSCAM-TS832-600mW-....-Really

Now here's where it gets interesting; according to 1 chart posted in that thread-it had Channel 17 as the Strongest. I had been using Channel 31. So, I made the change to both the VTX and the RX, and barely made it past 150 meters before I got horrible snow. So, obviously, whoever did the testing, didn't go out and actually fly-because my results are completely different!!!

IF, you are not getting the range/clarity in your video, try changing channels!! You have 32 to chose from.
Ch 17 for me was 5745Ghz...and the best for me was Ch31, 5705Ghz. It's amazing that only a 40ghz raise in frequency, destroyed the clear video I was getting. Your mileage may vary.

I changed back to Channel 31, and video was crystal clear, out to my new record, of 918 Meters @103 meters!!!

Let me tell you how I approached this; I have iOSD, Monitor with dual CP antenna's, Goggles plugged into the monitor and a CP Antenna on the aircraft.

On my original long distances flights, I was only getting around 700 meters, then entering Failsafe. However, that was at a maximum altitude of 60 meters. This time, I went to 100 meters...actually 113 meters on the 1st flight, to a distance of 812m. I had intended to stop at 800 meters-but drifted a bit. Video is still crystal clear. What I did next, was just pull back on the stick, until I was around 600 meters, then turned around-still crystal clear video.

On the 2nd flight-I was going to 900 meters, and I was going to try and maintain 100 meters. Again-I shot past 900 meters too 918 meters @103 meters. Again-I did not turn around, I just pulled back on the stick, until I got to 700 meters, turned 180 degree's and returned. The only time the video would cut out a bit-was in a certain azimuth of the turn...other than that, I had clear video the entire time, and no Fail Safe!!!
I believe there are 2 things to take away from this; Altitude is your friend!! The higher you are-the further you can fly. And-don't turn around at those "max" distances. This may block your receiver antenna's enough in the turn, that you enter Fail Safe.

Also-I went almost straight out.....at the most, I was 20 degree's from the right of center. I don't know if the angle between the remote and the aircraft makes that big of a difference?? But, I had great video, and no FS.

Hi everyone. In this afternoon, I have just made a history with phantom 2 fpv. I have set a record of 5050m! And I don't think anyone will beat it. :lol: full 360 degree video check at distance of 1000,2000,3000,4000 and 5050m. Not even 1 fail safe triggered ! Super solid video even at 5050m just like the begining. I have recorded the flight and I will upload soon. Very scary. Battery level at 13% and I have just caught landing leg while it dropping down!

leekawey said:
Hi everyone. In this afternoon, I have just made a history with phantom 2 fpv. I have set a record of 5050m! And I don't think anyone will beat it. :lol: full 360 degree video check at distance of 1000,2000,3000,4000 and 5050m. Not even 1 fail safe triggered ! Super solid video even at 5050m just like the begining. I have recorded the flight and I will upload soon. Very scary. Battery level at 13% and I have just caught landing leg while it dropping down!

You went over 3 MILES !!?? :shock:

Take a picture of your exact setup for me to see please.
And I cant wait to see the video !!

leekawey said:

Yeah dude! Show us your setup! That's awesome

leekawey said:

So did you do this with your IRC 600mW or FAtshark 250mW? Still using black pearl div receiver? Same spironet antenna to the side as in the pic? What antennas on the div receiver?

What weather conditions and how high we're you flying?

Congratulations!

I have the Fatshark P2. I want to add the osd mini when it becomes available. I know I need the dji down link for the mini to work. My question is what monitor will work with both my Fatshark and Dji down link? Is there a way to use the osd mini with Fatshark P2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extrememc said:
I have the Fatshark P2. I want to add the osd mini when it becomes available. I know I need the dji down link for the mini to work. My question is what monitor will work with both my Fatshark and Dji down link? Is there a way to use the osd mini with Fatshark P2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The iOSD mini will work with the fatshark setup with nothing more than the correct wiring: http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter

I'm not sure if you're asking about DJI's own FPV setup or their groundstation when you say "dji down link" but neither are necessary for what you're trying to do.

Reactions: CANEKiTA

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12