RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

I have tried that but it switches to RTH around 1.5km[/quote]

That is pretty close. I can think of few reasons. Where is your controller antenna pointing? Try keep it left or right even up but not forward. Is your controller set to FCC mode? Are you using rechargeable battery for your controller? May be not relevant but I think the recharge battery is 1.2v and normal Duracell is 1.5v. And try position your video tx antenna away from P2 antenna. I have open the p2 cover and simply cut off the cable tie and extended the back antenna by 1 inch than it original was.

And please try fatshark goggles. You will be surprised.

I'm a little late to the party, but have read all 13 pages. I have a Phantom 1.0, boscam 600(really around 200mw), and spironet antenna's, with a Futaba T8J Rx/tx...max range before RTH, is 760 meters, with video, at around 60 meters altitude-out in the Desert.

I have 2 antenna's for the Futaba on the aircraft-front right leg, and right rear leg. My video transmitter is mounted to the rear of the aircraft, and the transmitter antenna is to the right(towards the controller antenna), and down.

I'm trying to get good video further out, and also fly the aircraft further. I think I may need to go higher. I was thinking of using a Patch antenna-but I'm just not seeing any reviews of this one; http://aerialmediapros.com/store/fpv-items/383-58-ghz-directional-patch-antenna-sma.html

I realize you guys are flying PH2's....but seriously, I'm entering Fail safe at around 700 meters each time. I would love to go over 1000 meters. But, I'm kinda stuck with the Futaba set-up.

Is it OK to turn the video TX 180 degree's around-so the transmitter antenna is running along the leg that has the compass module?? I'm wondering if doing that-moving the video TX opposite the controller antenna, may help?

You must first know that I am an ADDICT. I own most every piece of video TX and RX hardware in this thread for my P2, P2V, RVJet, APM:plane, and other FPV planes including a full Immersion RC ExOSD and ExUHF config. I use the EzUHF (or plan to) on all my long range planes.

I just decided to try out my ImmersionRC Power Meter. Just the TX facts here. I will play around with all my 5.8 and 1.2/1.3 antenna and patch antenna and tracker combos ASAP.

5.8 power output per ImmersionRC Power Meter:

ImmersionRC 600mW AVERAGE output 120mW. I also have one I pulsed somehow that outputs .01mW
FatShark 250mW AVG output is 422mW. THIS should answer all of your discussion of the Fatshark 250 seeming to be better than the ImmersionRC. IT IS MORE POWEFULL! I have no horse in this race. I had to buy a second 600mW Immersion b/c somehow I fried mine with 12v one connection.

Here is the surprising data also at 5.8ghz:

My P2 standard AVL58 setup AVERAGED 964mW transit power. This is why I have now proven that my initial P2 TX was the right choice and other have never quite compared.

My APM:plane 5.8 video solution is averaging only 67mW, so I will have to look to replace this setup before I try to go long here.

I really like this ImmersionRC Power Meter so I will soon post antenna results for my slew of 5.8 and 1.2/1.3 antennas. By the way my Hobbywireless.com FPV1380 transmitters at 800mW now attached to an Oracle diversity both averaged between 770 and 778 mW and I have been impressed with the range on these--now the numbers tell me why.

I have a v3 Immersion Duo 5.8 that I am playing with for a ground station and have been using the BlackPearl FlySight diversity from DroneFly monitor with great luck for a couple months. Also will give stats with my ATTITUDE PREMIUM BUNDLE- FATSHARK V2 VIDEO GLASSES + CAMERA+TRIN and any relevant info from my 8" and 10" FPV monitors from HobbyWireless and AtlantaHobby

Antenna tests coming soon:

1.3:
1.2 & 1.3 GHz BlueBeam Antenna Whip Set Tuned for 1.280Mhz - RHC with low pass Filter for 1.2 GHz - 1.3 GHz Transmitters (Protects 2.4)
Gattling from ReadyMadeRC
1.3ghz 8bi patch from RangeVideo

5.8ghz:
Helical Axial Mode 5.8 GHz RHCP Antenna
RMRC CrossHair 5.8
5.8Ghz Blue Beam Ultra Antenna Set RHCP - SMA Male
Fastsark 13dbi Patch
AVL58 cloverleafs
10dBis crosshair truerc from ReadymadeRC
ImmersionRC 5.8 polarized spironet v2

More details ASAP, but PLEASE NOTE the power output info in mW listed above for these 5.8 (and 1.2/1.3 TXs) as they tell a story many of you have been asking for!

Regards,
TXHillCountryPhantom

TXhillcountryphantom said:
You must first know that I am an ADDICT. I own most every piece of video TX and RX hardware in this thread for my P2, P2V, RVJet, APM:plane, and other FPV planes including a full Immersion RC ExOSD and ExUHF config. I use the EzUHF (or plan to) on all my long range planes.

I just decided to try out my ImmersionRC Power Meter. Just the TX facts here. I will play around with all my 5.8 and 1.2/1.3 antenna and patch antenna and tracker combos ASAP.

5.8 power output per ImmersionRC Power Meter:

ImmersionRC 600mW AVERAGE output 120mW. I also have one I pulsed somehow that outputs .01mW
FatShark 250mW AVG output is 422mW. THIS should answer all of your discussion of the Fatshark 250 seeming to be better than the ImmersionRC. IT IS MORE POWEFULL! I have no horse in this race. I had to buy a second 600mW Immersion b/c somehow I fried mine with 12v one connection.

Here is the surprising data also at 5.8ghz:

My P2 standard AVL58 setup AVERAGED 964mW transit power. This is why I have now proven that my initial P2 TX was the right choice and other have never quite compared.

My APM:plane 5.8 video solution is averaging only 67mW, so I will have to look to replace this setup before I try to go long here.

I really like this ImmersionRC Power Meter so I will soon post antenna results for my slew of 5.8 and 1.2/1.3 antennas. By the way my Hobbywireless.com FPV1380 transmitters at 800mW now attached to an Oracle diversity both averaged between 770 and 778 mW and I have been impressed with the range on these--now the numbers tell me why.

I have a v3 Immersion Duo 5.8 that I am playing with for a ground station and have been using the BlackPearl FlySight diversity from DroneFly monitor with great luck for a couple months. Also will give stats with my ATTITUDE PREMIUM BUNDLE- FATSHARK V2 VIDEO GLASSES + CAMERA+TRIN and any relevant info from my 8" and 10" FPV monitors from HobbyWireless and AtlantaHobby

Antenna tests coming soon:

1.3:
1.2 & 1.3 GHz BlueBeam Antenna Whip Set Tuned for 1.280Mhz - RHC with low pass Filter for 1.2 GHz - 1.3 GHz Transmitters (Protects 2.4)
Gattling from ReadyMadeRC
1.3ghz 8bi patch from RangeVideo

5.8ghz:
Helical Axial Mode 5.8 GHz RHCP Antenna
RMRC CrossHair 5.8
5.8Ghz Blue Beam Ultra Antenna Set RHCP - SMA Male
Fastsark 13dbi Patch
AVL58 cloverleafs
10dBis crosshair truerc from ReadymadeRC
ImmersionRC 5.8 polarized spironet v2

More details ASAP, but PLEASE NOTE the power output info in mW listed above for these 5.8 (and 1.2/1.3 TXs) as they tell a story many of you have been asking for!

Regards,
TXHillCountryPhantom

Thanks for all that info TXhill
The more I read the more the finger seems to point squarley at the IRC600 as being the culprit.
I think I may look into buying the Fatshark 250mW!

Cheers

leekawey said:
I have tried that but it switches to RTH around 1.5km

That is pretty close. I can think of few reasons. Where is your controller antenna pointing? Try keep it left or right even up but not forward. Is your controller set to FCC mode? Are you using rechargeable battery for your controller? May be not relevant but I think the recharge battery is 1.2v and normal Duracell is 1.5v. And try position your video tx antenna away from P2 antenna. I have open the p2 cover and simply cut off the cable tie and extended the back antenna by 1 inch than it original was.

And please try fatshark goggles. You will be surprised.[/quote]

FCC mode on a P2 non-vision ??
I use Energizer lithium batteries in my controller because I dont like rechargeables.
I will look into extending the back antenna.
Afraid I dont own any goggles - - - yet!

Thanks for the input.

havasuphoto said:
I'm a little late to the party, but have read all 13 pages. I have a Phantom 1.0, boscam 600(really around 200mw), and spironet antenna's, with a Futaba T8J Rx/tx...max range before RTH, is 760 meters, with video, at around 60 meters altitude-out in the Desert.

I have 2 antenna's for the Futaba on the aircraft-front right leg, and right rear leg. My video transmitter is mounted to the rear of the aircraft, and the transmitter antenna is to the right(towards the controller antenna), and down.

I'm trying to get good video further out, and also fly the aircraft further. I think I may need to go higher. I was thinking of using a Patch antenna-but I'm just not seeing any reviews of this one; http://aerialmediapros.com/store/fpv-items/383-58-ghz-directional-patch-antenna-sma.html

I realize you guys are flying PH2's....but seriously, I'm entering Fail safe at around 700 meters each time. I would love to go over 1000 meters. But, I'm kinda stuck with the Futaba set-up.

Is it OK to turn the video TX 180 degree's around-so the transmitter antenna is running along the leg that has the compass module?? I'm wondering if doing that-moving the video TX opposite the controller antenna, may help?

I think its worth trying ANYTHING to improve range with these things !!

I use Energizer lithium batteries in my controller because I dont like rechargeables.

Thanks for the input.[/quote]

So is there no FCC mode for the p2 non vision then? I though it is same. If not what's bottom screw for? Can somebody confirm about that please.

leekawey said:

Thanks for the input.

So is there no FCC mode for the p2 non vision then? I though it is same. If not what's bottom screw for? Can somebody confirm about that please.[/quote]

Yeah I have been searching around the 'net but no-one seems to know what the bottom "pot" is for.

Ok so just tried hanging the antenna well below the Phantom to see if it made any difference in quality/range. :idea:

Afraid not........... :evil:

Attachments

• DSC06998.JPG
    DSC06998.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 360
2trickpony said:
Ok so just tried hanging the antenna well below the Phantom to see if it made any difference in quality/range. :idea:

I don't think you should scrub that idea straight away! This is what I plan on doing with mine so I can make sure the antenna is not obstructed by anything. Perhaps it doesn't need to be as long but I think that's the best placement for the antenna!

I am thinking the several connectors you have used though are decreasing the signal strength? Can you just use the connector/adapter.

2trickpony said:
leekawey said:

Thanks for the input.

So is there no FCC mode for the p2 non vision then? I though it is same. If not what's bottom screw for? Can somebody confirm about that please.

Yeah I have been searching around the 'net but no-one seems to know what the bottom "pot" is for.[/quote]

I think the consensus is that it isn't for anything. Or may be some secret that only DJI know about.

Meluk said:
2trickpony said:

I don't think you should scrub that idea straight away! This is what I plan on doing with mine so I can make sure the antenna is not obstructed by anything. Perhaps it doesn't need to be as long but I think that's the best placement for the antenna!

I am thinking the several connectors you have used though are decreasing the signal strength? Can you just use the connector/adapter.

That was the only adapter cable I had to hand that had a male and female SMA on it but I agree that less connections would improve things.

2trickpony said:

Does the white plastic VTX "box" come with the Phantom 2? I'm wondering if I could use that on a Phantom 1, and if the holes would line up-perhaps with the landing gear bolts?
On the Phantom 1, with Zen-there's only 1 tiny spot on the rear for the VTX-and it will only really fit 1-way. If I had a box like that, I could face the VTW rearward with the antenna out the back....I have another Spironet I could use, with RP-SMA to SMA adapter...but currently, using that puts the antenna outside the right side landing gear, and blocks the control transmitter antenna at about 340 meters.

havasuphoto said:
2trickpony said:

Does the white plastic VTX "box" come with the Phantom 2? I'm wondering if I could use that on a Phantom 1, and if the holes would line up-perhaps with the landing gear bolts?
On the Phantom 1, with Zen-there's only 1 tiny spot on the rear for the VTX-and it will only really fit 1-way. If I had a box like that, I could face the VTW rearward with the antenna out the back....I have another Spironet I could use, with RP-SMA to SMA adapter...but currently, using that puts the antenna outside the right side landing gear, and blocks the control transmitter antenna at about 340 meters.

This guy makes a few bits and pieces for the Phantom, 3d printed.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/d3wey

havasuphoto said:

Those are 3D-printed parts designed by DeweyAXD here (aka D3wey), and he has 2 different versions available for the P1...one to use if you just have the gopro attached (and no gimbal), and one if you have the Zenmuse:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1174284 ... terialId=6 (I have this one myself)

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1528123 ... terialId=6

Both can be used without the battery cage, and both will work with the Immersion 600mW transmitter in place of the FatShark 250mW as pictured.

They also will need 25mm brass spacers to attach to the Phantom, but I have a bagfull of spare ones I'll be happy to share.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:

Those are 3D-printed parts designed by DeweyAXD here (aka D3wey), and he has 2 different versions available for the P1...one to use if you just have the gopro attached (and no gimbal), and one if you have the Zenmuse:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1174284 ... terialId=6 (I have this one myself)

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1528123 ... terialId=6

Both can be used without the battery cage, and both will work with the Immersion 600mW transmitter in place of the FatShark 250mW as pictured.

They also will need 25mm brass spacers to attach to the Phantom, but I have a bagfull of spare ones I'll be happy to share.
Cool...never knew about those-I definitely need to get out more ;)
But, I have a dilemma-IF, I had the 3rd axis(Tppacks)-doesn't it have a bit of a rear "shelf"?? Also, without popping the top on my Phantom, it appears my VTX leads may be a tad short.

What about having the VTX antenna near the compass? Any problems there?

havasuphoto said:
Cool...never knew about those-I definitely need to get out more ;)
But, I have a dilemma-IF, I had the 3rd axis(Tppacks)-doesn't it have a bit of a rear "shelf"?? Also, without popping the top on my Phantom, it appears my VTX leads may be a tad short.

What about having the VTX antenna near the compass? Any problems there?

Are you talking about this (which I didn't even know was released till you mentioned the name)? http://tppacks.com/store/index.php?rout ... duct_id=60

If so, then you probably won't be able to use Dewey's undertray(s), I don't see how they could be mounted at the same time.

I think you can mount the antenna near the compass without any interference from the signal, as long as none of the metal components of the Tx or antenna get too close.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3