"Quick" release for prop guards

Mori55 said:
If I hit them they would definitely move up and the prop.

I guess you meant to say, "If I hit them, they would definitely move up and hit the prop".

However, that is not the same as saying, "I did hit them and they definitely moved up and hit the prop"

So which is it? You think that they might do? Or you actually tried it and they did? Because I just tried again to get a guard to touch the prop and, whilst it does move upwards very, very slightly when I push up hard on it, it doesn't reach the prop. In fact, if it's properly clicked in place, it's easier to tilt it downwards slightly than upwards.

But it's up to each user, I'm not selling the idea. In my case, I use them when there's a need - e.g. when flying close to buildings, or if there are other persons around. But if there is no need I leave them off. So it works great for me. If I had to use the screws, there's no way I'd bother to use them at any time, which might invite an expensive disaster.

Look it worked for you not me. I could push it with my hand and hit the prop. And that not pushing it real hard. And yes I know how to lock it in.

Mori55 said:
Look it worked for you not me. I could push it with my hand and hit the prop. And that not pushing it real hard. And yes I know how to lock it in.

Did the guard bend so much it touched a prop, or did the "super velcro" or adhesive fitting fail?

I think the super Velcro solution would work, but I don't 'like it.'

I want some other solution. No offence to the fellows using the 3M super Velcro... I just can't put my faith in the stuff. I know it might be good on an intellectual level, but I want something that feels better for me.

To be honest, I don't care who uses it and who doesn't. It was a solution I tried and one that that works well for me, so I thought I'd share it.

What is important is to use the correct terminology / product description when discussing it so that other people reading this thread are not misled. 3M Dual-Lock is not tape and it is not Velcro - 'super' or otherwise. The term 'Velcro' suggests hook and loop fastening (with the inherent movement between surfaces that that entails). Dual-Lock utilises a multitude of plastic mushrooms and there is no movement between the surfaces; it provides a 'snap' fit.

Here's a 3M video on the product itself (boring but informative)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CllWfW1UHe4&list=PL34FE61667CFE49D1

And here's a video showing the strength of the bond by hanging a bowling ball from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heavjPsXF1w

Peter Evans said:
To be honest, I don't care who uses it and who doesn't. It was a solution I tried and one that that works well for me, so I thought I'd share it.

What is important is to use the correct terminology / product description when discussing it so that other people reading this thread are not misled. 3M Dual-Lock is not tape and it is not Velcro - 'super' or otherwise. The term 'Velcro' suggests hook and loop fastening (with the inherent movement between surfaces that that entails). Dual-Lock utilises a multitude of plastic mushrooms and there is no movement between the surfaces; it provides a 'snap' fit.

Here's a 3M video on the product itself (boring but informative)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CllWfW1UHe4&list=PL34FE61667CFE49D1

And here's a video showing the strength of the bond by hanging a bowling ball from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heavjPsXF1w

What a great product. I can't get over the things I've learnt here, that can be used outside of RC. Thanks Peter :)

I used the dual lock and the glue held fine. Just doesn't seem like enough surface area to hold as firm as I would like. When you bolt them on they are very stiff. With the dual lock it's not as stiff , to much flex IMHO.
But if it works for you that's great.

The super velcro works great I am sure... But what happens when you have to remove the top cover? Off comes the adhesive velcro in a messy operation... So that doesnt work for me

The only screws that get covered are the screws holding the motor in place, nothing to do with holding the top together. The tiny Phillips screws at the end of the arms that do fasten the two parts together are still accessible

Phantom V1&2 Prop Guard Quick Disconnect
Easy on, easy off, now is it simple to take on and off the Phantom Prop guards. No longer is it a bunch of screws to remove the guards and place in the case.
Won the Pilots Choice Award SEFF 2014 - Best New RC Product

Installation:
To install, attach the stock DJI Prop Guard to the Adapter by using two #4 by 3/8" screws. (Do not overtighten; snugged down is enough).
Slip the Adapter over the end of the arm ensuring the two locator pins seat into the two long hollow screw tunnels located under the motor arm.

To remove, press down by the two locator pins and simultaneously slide the Adapter off the arm.

Prop guards are not included.

Product Photo...
15344_H2_lg.png

Product Video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVGdsMgQvI

DJMixtrix said:
Phantom V1&2 Prop Guard Quick Disconnect
Easy on, easy off, now is it simple to take on and off the Phantom Prop guards. No longer is it a bunch of screws to remove the guards and place in the case.
Won the Pilots Choice Award SEFF 2014 - Best New RC Product

Installation:
To install, attach the stock DJI Prop Guard to the Adapter by using two #4 by 3/8" screws. (Do not overtighten; snugged down is enough).
Slip the Adapter over the end of the arm ensuring the two locator pins seat into the two long hollow screw tunnels located under the motor arm.

To remove, press down by the two locator pins and simultaneously slide the Adapter off the arm.

Prop guards are not included.

Product Photo...
15344_H2_lg.png

Product Video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVGdsMgQvI

I'm not a big fan of prop guards, but if you insist on using them, this is a great product. It takes all the pain out of using prop guards with an expensive case that won't fit the phantom with prop guards installed... I figured somebody would eventually solve that problem, and this is a real nice idea. Good job...

-slinger

dirkclod said:
Well I just ordered me a set at $ 40.00 total ! Ouch :eek: But what isn't . Will say how they work when they arrive .
+1 on the OUCH!
Nice but a tad bit overpriced.

I've got these now too. Just a heads up that they're 3D printed, and "feel" like they probably weigh about as much as the prop guards themselves. I'll weigh them for real this evening and post what I get. There's no denying that they're a great little piece of ingenuity and very convenient, but the finish and weight really needs to be a lot better for $40.

OK so these guys weigh in at 6g each. That's about 1/4 the weight of the guards themselves, which is really much less than I was perceiving. It's basically like throwing on a 5th prop guard in terms of weight. Given how they give you the ability to travel the guards, worth it, IMO.

Just build yourself a flight box.

This is mine all for the cost of £60 odd.

The sides are hard wood plywood and the rest of the 'bits' from scouring E-Bay.

A bit of work involved but worth it in the end.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl