eBay Quick Release Prop Guards

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just ordered a Phantom 3 Standard (refurbished). As I understand it, Phantoms don't come with prop guards (right?), but being a newbie I think I'll want them, and I don't want to pay the price of the DJI ones (+ expensive postage to NZ!).

Do any of you have experience of any good, light, strong, prop guards for the P3 Std from eBay? I see heaps there, but would like specific recommendations, please. I'm after:
- Quick release
- Ideally under US$10
- Ideally lightweight
- Ideally strong
- Ideally good coverage (i.e. almost 180 degrees...or more so I don't need to use string).
And optionally, if I want guards which don't have screws at all, what should I search for? "Clip on"? (Yes, I know the quick release types don't require you do touch the screws each time you take the guards off.)

If you have had a good experience from a specific eBay product, please say what you like about it.

I've seen some other posts on similar topics, but haven't found anything specifically helpful yet.

Thanks.
Terry

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt response and answers, msinger!

I'm aware of the guards with screw on bases. Do you know of any good guards which clip on/off without the screw-on base?

Reactions: tel7
Thanks skeptic49.
So the P3S shell is polystyrene? Have you had any cracking on yours?

I forget the material. It seems that not all Phantoms have the issue. I only have 1 hour on mine but no cracks. I installed the prop guards and hopefully this will prevent any cracks from developing.

Hi again skeptic (and others),

I see on the link you gave me, someone said "However, the P3 shell is polystyrene, not ABS or Polycarbonate...".
Haven't been able to find anything to back that claim up yet. I didn't realise polystyrene could be so hard/strong.

I'd be concerned that installing 3rd party prop guards, especially those which require the owner to put screws in with unknown amounts of torque, could void the warranty. Thoughts?

Did you use any kind of thread locker? Did the original screws seem to have thread locker?

Assuming mine is not going to crack, what are your thoughts on this kind of prop guard, which doesn't seem to need the user to touch the screws. It's hard to see how the cable ties work. I can't tell whether they just hold the mounts in place, so you can easily snap the guards on & off without touching the ties.

Styrene plastics come in many different forms and densities. I doubt the P3 is PS ... but then again I am unsure what plastic it is.

I know that Plastic Modellers glue - MEK or also known as Plastweld - does melt P3 plastic for repairs same as with plastic models.

All screws should have BLUE Threadlock ... do not use RED.

I have prop guards but never fitted them. Why ? P3 will not fit my case with them. But I do have metal end plates to help reduce cracking after I had cracks appear .. I repaired.

Prop guards ? I'm not convinced they are necessary. I fly quads that can flip and do things the DJI can only dream of ... none have any guards.

Nigel

Hi again skeptic (and others),

I see on the link you gave me, someone said "However, the P3 shell is polystyrene, not ABS or Polycarbonate...".
Haven't been able to find anything to back that claim up yet. I didn't realise polystyrene could be so hard/strong.

I'd be concerned that installing 3rd party prop guards, especially those which require the owner to put screws in with unknown amounts of torque, could void the warranty. Thoughts?

Did you use any kind of thread locker? Did the original screws seem to have thread locker?

Assuming mine is not going to crack, what are your thoughts on this kind of prop guard, which doesn't seem to need the user to touch the screws. It's hard to see how the cable ties work. I can't tell whether they just hold the mounts in place, so you can easily snap the guards on & off without touching the ties.

The longer screws that come with the prop guards I use have a dab of what I believe is thread locker already applied, same color as OEM: red. In any event, normal pre-flight inspection of all of the bird especially the arms and motor mounts is essential. The prop guards that you like do not require changing out the screws but do nothing to reinforce the frame where cracks have been a problem for some P3 owners...originating at the screw holes. Prop guards add a safety feature that is important for beginners, as spinning props can injure pilots or bystanders in certain situations.

Jim

"thread locker already applied, same color as OEM: red."

Mine and others that I have worked on have all had BLUE used by Factory ..... which is the non-permanent format. RED is the permanent, not intended to be unscrewed form of threadlocker !

Nigel

"thread locker already applied, same color as OEM: red."

Mine and others that I have worked on have all had BLUE used by Factory ..... which is the non-permanent format. RED is the permanent, not intended to be unscrewed form of threadlocker !

Nigel

Ah, just checked the short OEM screws I removed, Nigel is correct, blue thread-locker...I had just installed red and white strobes...must have red on the brain. In any event the longer screws provided by Hobby Tiger for their prop guard bases have the same color of thread-locker applied (blue.)

Jim

Ah, just checked the short OEM screws I removed, Nigel is correct, blue thread-locker...I had just installed red and white strobes...must have red on the brain. In any event the longer screws provided by Hobby Tiger for their prop guard bases have the same color of thread-locker applied (blue.)

Jim

Thanks ...

One thing to remember - if you ever remove guard plates - NEVER use the longer guard screws as they will extend into the motor and possibly catch the internal windings. You must use the original short screws.

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.