Quick Release Prop Guards

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions as to whether people would, or wouldn't use the quick release unofficial Prop Guards while flying.

I'm new to this, and having already had a first minor crash (into a wall breaking 2 props as I landed the quadcopter) I was thinking of using the quick release style guards (the official ones seem a lot of hassle screwing on/off each flight). I'm sure the guards would have helped in this instance, but is there also the danger of them coming off mid flight & maybe hitting the props/causing a drop from a much higher altitude?

This type of guard is what I'm referring to:

MyArmor DR90 Quick Release Snap On Propeller Props Protector Guard For DJI Phantom 3: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Many Thanks.

Those type work just fine. Do not use them in a wind over 10mph though. They turn into sails and really affect the handling and performance.

I say avoid them if you can. Just practice flying more and stay away from objects. I also hand catch for landings.

It is personal preference, I have been using removable guards for 6 months on a P3A. No problems saved me a couple times Near trees, easier to stow unit when done flying. But nothing beats practice and sensible flying , good luck either way.

I've been using quick release prop guards . They have provided excellent protection during those occasions when I came to close to a building or tree branches in non gps mode. I don't leave home without them.

I've got a set on my P3A and use them often. It's good security to have. I'm fairly new to flying a drone (approx 5hrs of flight time) so I'm still using them in unfamiliar area where I fly. Slick to be able to remove them for quick packaging.

Those are not the ones I have, but are similar. As a rule, I fly without them on but if I'm flying somewhere that the danger of winding up bumping into something is high [very unlikely] I'll snap mine on.

There MAY be an unstated benefit to having them available. There have been a lot of reports of stress cracks around the screws where they pass through the body at the motor mounts. It's entirely possible the added re-enforcement provided by the snap-on mounts for the prop guards helps prevent those cracks.

FWIW, I've had mine mounted for just short of two years with no issues.

Reactions: wolf~928

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan