Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

quality of screen shots taken from movie

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Mudcat, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Mudcat

I'm using a mac and I take my photos from the movie via screen shots. Is this just as good quality as taking a photo?

2. Fly Dawg

Not quite but close. You would need to check your screen capture resolutions to confirm that.

3. jephoto

Depends on the original. I've got s 27" display. Taken screenshots from a 4K video taken in bright sun- so fast shutter- and it's better quality in some respects than the jpg from camera.
    You'll get about 5x7@300 dpi res doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app[​IMG]
    I was really blown away by the quality.

4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

No it's not.
    Photos would be 4000 x 3000 resolution. Compare your screen shot resolution to that.

5. matti

P3P photos are max 4000x3000 (my setup).

Videos are essentially the same resolution
    3840 x 2160 4K UHD (16:9) (my setup)
    4096 x 2160 4K DCI (256:135).

But photos allow to shoot raw .dng that have more headroom for editing. That said, the tiny P3P sensor really doesn't have as much raw headroom as a proper DSLR camera so I have been able to get very good results even with video -> TIF -> Lightroom -> jpg workflows.

But videos allow more FPS so you have more choice to pick the right frame.

ND filters add more to the mix. A longer shutter speed might be beneficial in video (motion blur) but not in photos (just blur).

6. jephoto

A SCREENSHOT is just that - a photo of the screen at its resolution. Even an HD display is only about 100dpi. I went as full a frame as I could on my 27" display for the shot above and got an image 1536x893 pixels. Thats screen resolution. If I'd had a 5K display it would have been bigger. As large as the 4K frame would allow probably.

And yes- its smaller than a still photo taken with the P-3 - but it's great quality for it's size - about 5" wide @ 300dpi (1500 pixels). My bad- not 5x7. The format is closer to 3x5"
    Works fine for on screen and small prints though.