Propeller shelf life

I'd think possibly from both. However, I think far more from wear/tear and that exposure to air would have little to no affect. certainly not anywhere near enough to support a change after 50/100 flights.
Agreed- thank you for the confirmation. It would be ridiculous to choose a compound in manufacture of these components that had an environmental dependent shelf life. If we look at the plastics employed in just about every common item and application it is certainly possible to avoid the suggested problem.

I'm asking questions, not promulgating myths.

The poster is "DJI Mindy" who has the title moderator on that forum. What weight of all knowledge that implies I have no idea.

Then there is the mention of "aged" props in the manual.

But once I saw that suggestion I wanted the wise counsel of the much more experienced (than me) DJI Phantom operators around here.

I did point out in my original post that of course the P4P does not have the threaded mount, it nonetheless appears to be the same material - so could suffer from the same degradation in other ways (if there is any).
I've read many things on the DJI forum posted by "Mindy" that were pure nonsense. Twice even called her out on them, didn't even get a reply back in response.

This is posted in the P4 forum. The DJI person shows a P3. The props are _very_ different. P3 props do come from DJI with the hubs sealed. I could see how the composite hubs might degrade over time.

However, I don't see that the P4 would have the same ill effects. They don't rely on compression to stay attached.

Also, I take what those "DJI" people post with a grain of salt. They tend not to know personally what they are talking about and just repeat general information.

Lastly, I don't recall seeing any of that information being added to the online manual. I'd consider the online manual much more correct then anything some person from DJI posts.

The recommendation is to change props every 50 flights and a set should not be used more than 100 flights? Huh? You should not use one more than 50 times but 2... you can use 100 times. I can't make any sense of that. How do I use 2 and not 1? If I "use" 4 does that mean change ever 200 times? As I said above, I tend not to list too much to those DJI posters.

Good post. Makes sense. The remaining fly is that "aged" statement in the manual. Or perhaps that's a hangover from earlier (P3) manuals that didn't get edited out?

Who's on first??? Sound like the DJI sales department wanted to make sure prop sales stay active? Unless you hit things with your props why would you need to change them out?

It's plausible. The entire weight, acceleration, vibration and turbulence that the drone experiences is via 4 pieces of plastic that are exposed to UV, flexing and massive amounts of air ...

I'm not saying it "is" an issue. Just asking the questions.

Firstly, this thread proves I am in the right place for learning more about the Phantom series with people who are passionate and knowledgeable about their drones. Secondly, I keep all my spare props in a coffee jar in the shed, some of which are coming on for two years old so we shall soon see!

Almost 300 flights on mine. Just checked no wear.

GR8.
Agreed- thank you for the confirmation. It would be ridiculous to choose a compound in manufacture of these components that had an environmental dependent shelf life. If we look at the plastics employed in just about every common item and application it is certainly possible to avoid the suggested problem.

Assuming the plastics used are not reacting to UV or are treated to "resist" UV then that's great. But I don't like assumptions.

Hmmm, sounds like you are assuming.
Assuming they're susceptible to fail due to the limited UV they experience while in use.

If you store your a/c in sunlight as a rule then you'll have problems.

But otherwise this much a-do about nothing.

Reactions: SkyHog
Assuming the plastics used are not reacting to UV or are treated to "resist" UV then that's great. But I don't like assumptions.
You started by assuming that DJI-Mindy knows what she's talking about - there isn't much evidence to support that idea.
You assumed that a Chinglish translation in a DJI manual can be relied on for its literal meaning.
The whole discussion is based on the notion that the threaded parts of the P3 prop degrade with age but now you've changed that to UV exposure.
The threaded hubs of a P3 prop aren't going to get any UV exposure at all - they are hidden inside the hub.
The whole of the P4 pro prop is made of different material from the threaded hub of a P3 prop.

I can't see the point of this discussion at all.
Stop worrying. Your props are well made and will last a very long time if you don't run them into obstacles.

I agree DJI support is more often wrong than right. However, props are like the oil in your car. They will age with use / exposure and do need to be changed from time to time. How often depends on many factors. Your props will encounter micro debris be it bugs, leaves, dirt, etc. more often than you know.

And as we know well, DJI doesn't design anything to last very long. Keep that in mind vs. the cost of new props. Best bet is to give them a good visual inspection every 5-10 flights. If they last 100 flights, you've done well. Maybe it's time to use new ones.

Some things to look for when inspecting:
  • Look for cracks / damage.
  • Feel the edges for nicks.
  • Feel the surface for smoothness.
  • Look for deformities in the shape.
  • Examine threads. Feel for any resistance (or give) when threading.
  • (Carefully) feel for vibration when spooled.
If you find something, your best bet is to replace it. It's a small investment to protect a much bigger investment.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
This is exactly why all the props I order have a build and expiration date. They are shipped in a light proof vacuum canister pulled down to 29.92 inches of mercury after being purged with nitrogen. They do cost a little more.

GR8.

You are worrying unnecessarily. The rotors are almost certainly nylon (they handle like a nylon component) with the addition of glass fibre on the P4 and Matrice 600. Even absent of UV stabiliser breakdown would only be while directly exposed to sunlight rendering the shelf life considerations as absurd- yet another bum steer from DJI.

I just read on the DJI forum that unused propellers effectively have a shelf life of about 1 year because the threads will degrade with exposure to air. Further, they recommended that props be changed after 50 flights - no more than 100 flights. I assume that that is due to wear and tear on the threads ... of course the P4P does not have threads but the more robust quick connect.

I bought 2 extras pairs of props with my new P4P, so I have a total of "4 in use" and 8 spares.

These are of course the "quick connect" sort, so I assume the thicker material will not degrade with time - at least not as badly or quickly.

But otherwise, should I number my props and start rotating through all 3 "full sets"? Do they degrade due to UV?

Should I consider CF blades? Why do I think if I run into someone with the plastic blades I'll injure him and get sued, whereas if I run into him with CF blades it will eviscerate him ... and I'll still get sued?

Am I overthinking this?
The guy at my DJI store told me to stay away from carbon fiber blades for my p3a. Can't remember why though.

You started by assuming that DJI-Mindy knows what she's talking about - there isn't much evidence to support that idea.
You assumed that a Chinglish translation in a DJI manual can be relied on for its literal meaning.
The whole discussion is based on the notion that the threaded parts of the P3 prop degrade with age but now you've changed that to UV exposure.
The threaded hubs of a P3 prop aren't going to get any UV exposure at all - they are hidden inside the hub.
The whole of the P4 pro prop is made of different material from the threaded hub of a P3 prop.

I can't see the point of this discussion at all.
Stop worrying. Your props are well made and will last a very long time if you don't run them into obstacles.

I started by assuming I'd get informed by the good people on this group. There are no stupid questions.

I agree DJI support is more often wrong than right. However, props are like the oil in your car. They will age with use / exposure and do need to be changed from time to time. How often depends on many factors. Your props will encounter micro debris be it bugs, leaves, dirt, etc. more often than you know.

And as we know well, DJI doesn't design anything to last very long. Keep that in mind vs. the cost of new props. Best bet is to give them a good visual inspection every 5-10 flights. If they last 100 flights, you've done well. Maybe it's time to use new ones.

Some things to look for when inspecting:
  • Look for cracks / damage.
  • Feel the edges for nicks.
  • Feel the surface for smoothness.
  • Look for deformities in the shape.
  • Examine threads. Feel for any resistance (or give) when threading.
  • (Carefully) feel for vibration when spooled.
If you find something, your best bet is to replace it. It's a small investment to protect a much bigger investment.

I have no fear of paying for more props. Indeed I ordered 2 extra pairs when I purchased the P4P, not realizing that it came with 2 pairs extra itself. I do have a "night before" routine where I examine the props (and much more) quite carefully. I won't fly a chipped or suspect prop.

Mine don't have threads - instead I verify that the springs on the motor heads are not jammed and have a strong return and that the keys on the heads are not cracked or damaged in any way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart