Propeller shelf life

Reaction score
I just read on the DJI forum that unused propellers effectively have a shelf life of about 1 year because the threads will degrade with exposure to air. Further, they recommended that props be changed after 50 flights - no more than 100 flights. I assume that that is due to wear and tear on the threads ... of course the P4P does not have threads but the more robust quick connect.

I bought 2 extras pairs of props with my new P4P, so I have a total of "4 in use" and 8 spares.

These are of course the "quick connect" sort, so I assume the thicker material will not degrade with time - at least not as badly or quickly.

But otherwise, should I number my props and start rotating through all 3 "full sets"? Do they degrade due to UV?

Should I consider CF blades? Why do I think if I run into someone with the plastic blades I'll injure him and get sued, whereas if I run into him with CF blades it will eviscerate him ... and I'll still get sued?

Am I overthinking this?

They have very long life. Use them until you notice problem, They are not expensive, replace any time you feel like doing it.

The phantom 4 props are a glass reinforced injection moulded composite. I could see the source material post blending to have a finite shelf life prior to manufacture (1 year wouldn't be a suprise) however this sounds ridiculous for the finished component.

I just read on the DJI forum that unused propellers effectively have a shelf life of about 1 year because the threads will degrade with exposure to air.
This is nonsense ... nylon threads won't degrade in a year with exposure to air

I recently checked mine very thoroughly after doing the prop mount upgrade on my P4. 100+ flights and not a mark on them and they only come off if I'm travelling somewhere. I have read that they should be replaced every 100 flights or so, but unless I scratch or chip them, I'll leave them alone. As for UV degradation, the quad spends more time inside than outside, so I'm not concerned.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I just read on the DJI forum that unused propellers effectively have a shelf life of about 1 year because the threads will degrade with exposure to air. Further, they recommended that props be changed after 50 flights - no more than 100 flights. I assume that that is due to wear and tear on the threads ... of course the P4P does not have threads but the more robust quick connect.

I bought 2 extras pairs of props with my new P4P, so I have a total of "4 in use" and 8 spares.

These are of course the "quick connect" sort, so I assume the thicker material will not degrade with time - at least not as badly or quickly.

But otherwise, should I number my props and start rotating through all 3 "full sets"? Do they degrade due to UV?

Should I consider CF blades? Why do I think if I run into someone with the plastic blades I'll injure him and get sued, whereas if I run into him with CF blades it will eviscerate him ... and I'll still get sued?

Am I overthinking this?

Yes.

Any claims on shelf life are purely marketing. I have props on my P2 closing in on 3 years. (May 2014)
So props in-use last longer than non-use? Riiiight.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
This is nonsense ... nylon threads won't degrade in a year with exposure to air

Just reporting what I read. I never treat such things as ridiculous as there may be something about the blades we don't know. I agree that it sounds ridiculous at first blush.

The phantom 4 props are a glass reinforced injection moulded composite. I could see the source material post blending to have a finite shelf life prior to manufacture (1 year wouldn't be a suprise) however this sounds ridiculous for the finished component.

Glass reinforced? Wow. They look like plain old injection molded plastic to me.

The manual says (p.30) to not use "aged" propellers. But there is no definition of "aged".

upload_2017-3-30_7-32-24.png

Just reporting what I read. I never treat such things as ridiculous as there may be something about the blades we don't know. I agree that it sounds ridiculous at first blush.
You said "I just read on the DJI forum that unused propellers effectively have a shelf life of about 1 year because the threads will degrade with exposure to air."
So who is saying this?
Is it someone with any credibility or some schmoe with no idea what he is saying?
There are a lot of people will tell you all kinds of things - and many are completely wrong.

I would guess that p30 in the manual is simply a case of poor wording or translation and it's trying to say .. don't use old worn out or damaged propellers.
If there really was a shelf-life issue (and there won't be for the materials the props are made of), DJI would be a lot more specific about it.
And since the P4 pro props do not have threaded nylon hubs, any thoughts about a (nonexistant) shelf life for the hub is irrelevant to the P4 pro.

You said "I just read on the DJI forum that unused propellers effectively have a shelf life of about 1 year because the threads will degrade with exposure to air."
So who is saying this?
Is it someone with any credibility or some schmoe with no idea what he is saying?
There are a lot of people will tell you all kinds of things - and many are completely wrong.

I would guess that p30 in the manual is simply a case of poor wording or translation and it's trying to say .. don't use old worn out or damaged propellers.
If there really was a shelf-life issue (and there won't be for the materials the props are made of), DJI would be a lot more specific about it.
And since the P4 pro props do not have threaded nylon hubs, any thoughts about a (nonexistant) shelf life for the hub is irrelevant to the P4 pro.

I'm asking questions, not promulgating myths.

The poster is "DJI Mindy" who has the title moderator on that forum. What weight of all knowledge that implies I have no idea.

Then there is the mention of "aged" props in the manual.

But once I saw that suggestion I wanted the wise counsel of the much more experienced (than me) DJI Phantom operators around here.

I did point out in my original post that of course the P4P does not have the threaded mount, it nonetheless appears to be the same material - so could suffer from the same degradation in other ways (if there is any).

Someone said that the props go bad in the threads from the shelf-life and I said my props are wrapped so the air is not hitting them

Last edited:
Reactions: Vetteman4292
'Powers go bad' ???
'Air not hitting them (powers)' ???

Reactions: vashon100
Ok. Thanks

Glass reinforced? Wow. They look like plain old injection molded plastic to me.

The manual says (p.30) to not use "aged" propellers. But there is no definition of "aged".

View attachment 79476
DJI claims phantom 4 & Matrice 600 use glass composite- the injection moulded might be my assumption (I can't recall if DJI referred to the manufacturing process but I can't think how else they might be made).

The term aged most likely means time in service/ signs of wear and tear. Even then it is seemingly useless in the absence of any qualification.

This is posted in the P4 forum. The DJI person shows a P3. The props are _very_ different. P3 props do come from DJI with the hubs sealed. I could see how the composite hubs might degrade over time.

However, I don't see that the P4 would have the same ill effects. They don't rely on compression to stay attached.

Also, I take what those "DJI" people post with a grain of salt. They tend not to know personally what they are talking about and just repeat general information.

Lastly, I don't recall seeing any of that information being added to the online manual. I'd consider the online manual much more correct then anything some person from DJI posts.

The recommendation is to change props every 50 flights and a set should not be used more than 100 flights? Huh? You should not use one more than 50 times but 2... you can use 100 times. I can't make any sense of that. How do I use 2 and not 1? If I "use" 4 does that mean change ever 200 times? As I said above, I tend not to list too much to those DJI posters.

Who's on first??? Sound like the DJI sales department wanted to make sure prop sales stay active? Unless you hit things with your props why would you need to change them out?

Reactions: N017RW
I'm asking questions, not promulgating myths.
The poster is "DJI Mindy" who has the title moderator on that forum. What weight of all knowledge that implies I have no idea.
Then there is the mention of "aged" props in the manual.
The DJI forum is a good source for incorrect information, including what is posted by a few DJI people.
I'd not take anything from DJI-Mindy as having any authority at all.
The manual has instances of poor translation and bad wording - this seems to be the best explanation for this sentence.
I did point out in my original post that of course the P4P does not have the threaded mount, it nonetheless appears to be the same material - so could suffer from the same degradation in other ways (if there is any).
The threaded part of the P3 prop hub is a different material from the rest of the prop.
It's the same nylon you see in nyloc nuts and is not the same material as the rest of the prop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan