Proof cops lied about GWB Drone flight!

Reaction score
We got the recording!!!

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/police ... ared-crash

the talking starts about 10 min in

They even said the drone went up 2000ft in less than 2 seconds!
And the way he is describing the movements sounds more like a freekin spaceship. And we all know the setup these 2 guys have. No way is it possible with their equipment nor with the Phantom itself.

WTF?!

LAWSUIT!

edit:
I'm re-reading the transcript...
Wow man.... either these cops planned to lie about it from the start or they have no idea how to fly a copter themselves, let alone judge elevation!
They said crap like "they were well over 2000ft" "They flew around us"
And then this gem
"NYPD—Tiny little, we got them on the ground now. Tiny little drones with four blades on it. But, yeah, It was all the way over the GW. Now we are all the way over at Spuyten Duyval flying two miles away to 2,000 feet."

Thats some amazing ******* flying for no FPV. Not to mention crazy range with no additional modifications. DJI really made an amazing "drone"

I really want these asshats suspended without pay and have the 2 guys arrested press charges.

I could try to act shocked and surprised that the NYPD trumped up some bullspit charges and are lying about facts so they could arrest and charge a couple of minorities that were acting within the bounds of the law... but that would be insincere

QYV said:
I could try to act shocked and surprised that the NYPD trumped up some bullspit charges and are lying about facts so they could arrest and charge a couple of minorities that were acting within the bounds of the law... but that would be insincere

it's obviously not a race issue.
dont call that card. They were trying to arrest them as soon as they saw the drone. No clue who they were.

The lack of being able to distinguish the scale, distance and even speed of elevation seems like a severe lack of training.
But the sheer exaggeration of the Phantom being level with them and easily above them (over 2000ft) is inexcusable!

I'm thinking- this must all be a publicity stunt, managed by DJI.

But why is the transcript littered with descriptions of the impossible?

I really doubt DJI would do this. They want sales, not regative press. The cops must be liars trying to cover their ***. Nothing new.

discv said:
But why is the transcript littered with descriptions of the impossible?

Thats the most important part.
This is the prime example we all need to use as the classic "witch hunt".
Exagerations, making things up, describing the impossible...

0-2000ft in 2 seconds. WTF was this guy looking at?

dragonash said:

Anyone do the maths on that? Acceleration/ G force etc.

Edit-

Attachments

• speed calc.jpg
    speed calc.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,149
discv said:
dragonash said:

Anyone do the maths on that? Acceleration/ G force etc.

Edit-
Oblig:
im-not-saying-it-was-aliens.jpg

681MPH? Must be modified. Anti-gravity motors and CF props should be good for 700MPH! :D

Looking at the transcript, it is clear the pilot was disoriented and confused with respect to the position and movement of the Phantom. They did not perceive it to be a threat or a risk to their safety. They were pretty confident it was at 1,000ft which I would agree is reckless. Probably a misdemeanor at the most.

Monte55 said:
I really doubt DJI would do this. They want sales, not regative press. The cops must be liars trying to cover their ***. Nothing new.

DJI is loving this all the way to the bank. It's free advertising for their product.

dragonash said:
it's obviously not a race issue.
dont call that card. They were trying to arrest them as soon as they saw the drone. No clue who they were.

I'm not saying that's why it happened, but it's one of many factors in the situation. I'm white and the cops have never slapped cuffs on me when they see me flying in the east river park... anyway that was one word in a statement I stand behind about nypd trumping up ******** charges about something they don't like or don't understand

ianwood said:
Looking at the transcript, it is clear the pilot was disoriented and confused with respect to the position and movement of the Phantom. They did not perceive it to be a threat or a risk to their safety. They were pretty confident it was at 1,000ft which I would agree is reckless. Probably a misdemeanor at the most.

They were also "pretty confident" that it was above them at 2,000ft...
How much you wanna bet that they were wrong about that too?

dragonash said:
ianwood said:

They were also "pretty confident" that it was above them at 2,000ft...
How much you wanna bet that they were wrong about that too?

Does their chopper sport an altimeter or were they just guessing ??? :roll:

-slinger

The pilot would know his own altitude to within a dozen or so feet and monitor it constantly. That's basic aviation. However, judging the relative height of another object is not so easy to do. Especially when you can't judge size.

At the end, they said the drone was "tiny". Clearly they thought it was much much bigger. That would influence their perception of its relative height. When they thought it was at 2,000ft, it most likely was much lower. Being that it was night also plays a factor. Your eyes have a much harder time perceiving distance at night.

ianwood said:
The pilot would know his own altitude to within a dozen or so feet and monitor it constantly. That's basic aviation. However, judging the relative height of another object is not so easy to do. Especially when you can't judge size.

At the end, they said the drone was "tiny". Clearly they thought it was much much bigger. That would influence their perception of its relative height. When they thought it was at 2,000ft, it most likely was much lower. Being that it was night also plays a factor. Your eyes have a much harder time perceiving distance at night.

so do you believe that these operators, with no FPV, flew the phantom 2,000 ft and up? Or to take it from the pilots words, "He's right over top of us right now"

Or could have the police chopper could have been at a much lower altitude as seen in the cellphone video from here
http://www.suasnews.com/2014/07/30015/n ... ox-update/

Lets face it, the police who get paid to fly around know their job will soon be taken over by drones and it behooves them to put them in as bad as light as possible.

It is exactly as I already said it. There is no question the chopper pilot will know his exact height. That is as basic as driving between the lines in your car.

However, the pilot's judgement for the relative height of another object will not be very accurate. It is even less accurate if he thinks the object is much larger than it is. If it's nighttime, it's even harder.

So if you read carefully what I wrote, you will see I am agreeing with you that the helicopter pilot misjudged the height of the Phantom probably by a large margin.

Thank god the pilot made the "0-2000' in 2 seconds' comment... This speaks to the credibility right there... Had he not said this, they might have a stronger case. The most important thing i took from this conversation was that at no point did the pilots express any concern of being endangered. The closest thing to it is when he said it was directly over them, which I think it's difficult to believe... and based on the transcript, not sure how much I could believe. Collar them up? Are they dogs? Must be a better way to disable these guys? for what reason?

Here's the kicker: "Seems to me, if they were at 1000' feet, they would have to be operating that thing recklessly, regardless of whether or not it was a toy"... Ok, so are they saying they didn't actually view any reckless flying at the time the thought to pursue the drone? But rather, they are making an assumption after the fact based on the altitude alone that it 'had to be reckless'?? If they didn't perceive it as reckless at the time, then how do you go back and say it was based on the altitude they were flying? It's obvious from these statements that both the Tower and the cops were simply after these guys because they were flying a drone within line of sight of their helicopter downtown.

NYC cops...? Proof that they lied? Did their lips move? :roll:

-slinger

Jesus ****** Christ.. with some of you on here no matter what the govt or police do you slap them around, calling them bigots, racist & immoral. If you have such a flippin ***** for them then get it the heck over with.
I agree that they are not always right, but seriously.. they screw up your day or something so you always have to say they are wrong?

I'm really getting the feeling this whole flippin forum is for anti govt anti police screw-ups who want to blame the bad weather/the moon not rising at 830 tonite/anything wrong in the world on the govt/cops, just so you have something to complain about in your pitiful little lives.

Mods, do me the kindness to ban me, put me out of my flippin misery, many of you here have put me beyond disgusted.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl