Professional flipping over.

Reaction score
Hey y'all I'm very new to drones. My wife bought me a phantom 3 professional. She did buy it used. First flight was amazing it flew perfect no complaints at all. Second flight same result was amazing. Upon landing the second flight the wife wanted me to land it in her hands or catch it rather. Well she bailed mid land and the drone hit a pillar and slammed into the concrete breaking all the blades, the shell and one of the motors stopped spinning as it was upside down still trying to fly on the concrete. Well today I replaced the top and bottom shell, all new leds, a new Ccw motor, and new props. The motor does not look the same as the originals. So that kind of made me Leary. Well I went to take off and the drone just flipped right over. I was in the parking lot so again did some damage to the props. I went in the grass and started the motors but didn't take off. As I give it throttle I can see the drone move like it wants to flip over. I'm almost wondering maybe the motor wasn't the correct one.. or is there a calibration I have to do since I had it completely apart.. I calibrated the compas before flight but that was it. If someone could help me that would be awesome. Can't wait to fly it again!

Attachments

• IMG_2857.JPG
    IMG_2857.JPG
    809 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_2877.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 354
You said you tried to take off from a parking lot. If it is cement it would have Rebar in it and that would cause a magnetic field that would flip the bird over. I know from experience. Also make sure after you calibrate it that the green lights are flashing before you fly.

It could also be the wrong motor model.

What exactly looks different about it? We really don't know at this point.

You said you tried to take off from a parking lot. If it is cement it would have Rebar in it and that would cause a magnetic field that would flip the bird over. I know from experience. Also make sure after you calibrate it that the green lights are flashing before you fly.
A confused compass is not going to cause the bird to flip over. Rebar will confused the compass causing a compass error warning once you take off which makes RTH not work among other problems. With a bad compass, it just doesn't know which direction its pointing nor which direct home lies in. It never affects the basic stability. That's a function of the IMU, which is non-magnetic. With the wrong motor, the controller would send the wrong input to that motor, creating unbalanced thrust and the flip.

It's definitely related to the motor you replaced, If you run the copter at idle, or better yet restrain the landing gear, then you can see the direction that the props are spinning, I'm betting you have three spinning the same direction instead of two.

First pic is the stock motor. Second is the replacement. The post on Amazon said phantom 3 professional ccw motor. So I figured maybe they changed the look. But idk.. cause the shell I bought also had different supports in it but I knew why that was. The parking lot is exactly where I took off from before so I don't think that was the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2878.JPG
    IMG_2878.JPG
    535.2 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2879.JPG
    IMG_2879.JPG
    606.4 KB · Views: 246
First pic is the stock motor. Second is the replacement. The post on Amazon said phantom 3 professional ccw motor. So I figured maybe they changed the look. But idk.. cause the shell I bought also had different supports in it but I knew why that was. The parking lot is exactly where I took off from before so I don't think that was the issue.
The second picture looks just like my P3S motors.

You have bought a motor for the P3 Standard, you need to buy a P3P motor, but it's two type of the P3P motor, you need to find the correct one.

Yes, the wrong motor. The new one is taller and surely has different properties. Also, Just throwing this out there, but is it possible to put the propeller blades on wrong? I mean, I know they are left and right hand threads, but would the wrong one screw onto the wrong shaft?

That's what I thought after researching that it was a p3s motor. But the package it came in said professional and The Amazon order says it too. Well they better buy me new blades for that.. damnit

That's what I thought after researching that it was a p3s motor.
The motors are the same for all P3 models. The problem is that you bought a 2312A motor, but you need this 2312 motor. In order to use 2312A motors, you need to replace them all and also install the V2 center board.

Reactions: DanMan32
The motors are the same for all P3 models. The problem is that you bought a 2312A motor, but you need this 2312 motor. In order to use 2312A motors, you need to replace them all and also install the V2 center board.

You are exactly right. I just saw that.. I don't understand why that wouldn't be said in the description when ordering.. especially since I payed almost 50$ for expedited shipping..

Attachments

• IMG_2880.PNG
    IMG_2880.PNG
    213.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_2881.PNG
    IMG_2881.PNG
    254.3 KB · Views: 270
In the future, feel free to ask here if you're not sure what you should be buying. There are many knowledgeable people here who will be able direct you in the right direction.

Reactions: Vetteman4292
I will from now on. Just didn't think there would be a issue considering it said it was for mine lol.. well lesson learned.. glad it only costed me my time and a set of props.

If the motor came in original DJI packaging, it would have come with paperwork indicating the two different types of motors and that the motors must match the main board installed on the AC.
If it were a CW/CCW issue, the prop for that spot would not have screwed on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan