Please help this idiot pilot

Props need to be snugged tight. Have you just been putting them on loosely, expecting the motors to tighten them?

Yeah, let us know how tight you are snugging the props on. I always put mine on pretty tight. Also, if you lost a prop, I would think it probably spun off. Maybe look around the yard (and maybe the roof?) to see if you can find the missing prop. If you find it and it doesn't have any nicks on it and it's in one piece, I bet it spun off. Certainly would explain the wild spinning and crash.

Mike

Hand tight like a schoolgirl, or a pro wrestler?
After spinning the props on until they stop spinning, there is no need to tighten them any more than about 1/4 of a turn. If using a tool or cranking them on very tightly by hand, you'll then run the risk of possibly damaging the hubs. And, that could also cause the props to fly off mid-flight.

Reactions: snowghost
After spinning the props on until they stop spinning, there is no need to tighten them any more than about 1/4 of a turn. If using a tool or cranking them on very tightly by hand, you'll then run the risk of possibly damaging the hubs. And, that could also cause the props to fly off mid-flight.

For me, that's about what I do. But I find that I have to use the motor holder in order to do it: can't get enough of a grip with 2 fingers on the motor. I go until they stop spinning and then maybe 1/4 turn more using the motor holder to hold the motor steady. It's not a whole lot of force but I feel that they are snug.

Mike

If you don't need the tool to get them off, they were not on tight enough.

Interesting feedback. Never gave it much thought until this thread. I went back out and re-snugged all mine and I do use the tool to put them on but I discovered I don't end up going anywhere near 1/4 turn past when it stops spinning. More like 1/8 turn. I find that if I don't use the tool and just use 2 fingers to hold/turn the motor, the props come off really easily. Like just push on them with your pinky and they spin off. Using the motor holder and snugging them up, they're still relatively easy to get off but you have to be a bit more "deliberate".

That is, they seem to come off with a lot less force than you used to snug them up.

Mike

I discovered I don't end up going anywhere near 1/4 turn past when it stops spinning. More like 1/8 turn.
That sounds about right. Somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn is all you need. It's more of a feeling of tightness rather than a turn that can be measured exactly. The danger of using a tool is that the tool allows the props to be tightened more easily -- making it tougher to tell how tight they really are.

With that said, it seems the people who have the same problem as the OP are just spinning the props on and letting them come to a stop. I haven't seen anyone report a prop flying off due to damage from turning it another 1/4 of a turn with a tool.

Reactions: Numone and Jtrjr
Yup, feel the plastic just start to give, and call it good on tightening the props, just feel them turn on until with pressure from your fingers, they stop and feel snug.

But lets look at a different area... Did all 3 birds crash in the same place? I mean are you just flying in your yard or the exact same area every time they fall from the sky? Do you have video of it falling to the ground or does it die in the air before it falls every time? Since you work at one of THOSE places then you know that you could be hitting The Grid... Or some electromagnetic interference. I'm thinking that you're Finding Neo :)

Thinking could be CSC, abnormal compass calibration or prop separation.

Hand tightened, my assumption is that they will self tighten as described.
When I started, I also assumed "self-tightening" props meant they would tighten themselves while in use.
After watching some drone racers use nut drivers to attach their props with cap nuts, I quickly figured out that "self-tightening" refers to the integral threads.
When I read about many of these mystery crashes, I often wonder if the use of the term "self-tightening" has misled many new pilots.

Reactions: Numone and Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl