Places to fly in Basingstoke?

Welcome to the forum Luk ,

If you have not already done so, check the CAA rules for flying UAV's.

Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £33 at the time of writing. Click on the link to view their web site :-

Members Insurance

You can also insure your UAV against damage : -

Drone Insurance - Phantom Flight School

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom. The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

After some time, something to aim for is :-

Multi-Rotor –

You might like to try the following apps. The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play and :- No Fly Drones

One item that I have found to be of great help is a clear coloured strobe. I affixed mine to the rear of my P3 and it is easily seen in daylight for some distance. It helps greatly to determine orientation.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

In my opinion, a video standard to achieve might be like this :-

Dundas Aqueduct near Bath by drone - YouTube

This was made by another member on the forum.

If you have time, go into your profile and add the country you are in. It will help if you only want replies from UK members.

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question. We are only to happy to help.

Enjoy the forum.

I was thinking about flying around th enetrance to the Festival place ! ....Greenham common down the road in Newbury is pretty cool ( nuclear bunkers etc)

I was thinking about flying around th enetrance to the Festival place ! ....Greenham common down the road in Newbury is pretty cool ( nuclear bunkers etc)

Really?

Have you taken any notice of my warning that you must have permission of the landowner to take off and isn't Greenham Common classed as MOD property.

If it is that's a quick way to being arrested. I advise you to do a bit of research first.

UK's first drone conviction will bankrupt me, says Cumbrian man | World news | The Guardian

Did you buy some BMFA insurance?

I think you sound like an irresponsible person that is ruining our hobby for the rest of us by doing illegal flights - but I have been known to be wrong. :rolleyes:

AND why is taking pictures of nuclear bunkers 'cool'? They are only mounds of earth which would make a boring video.;)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Luk ,

If you have not already done so, check the CAA rules for flying UAV's.

Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £33 at the time of writing. Click on the link to view their web site :-

Members Insurance

You can also insure your UAV against damage : -

Drone Insurance - Phantom Flight School

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom. The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

After some time, something to aim for is :-

Multi-Rotor –

You might like to try the following apps. The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play and :- No Fly Drones

One item that I have found to be of great help is a clear coloured strobe. I affixed mine to the rear of my P3 and it is easily seen in daylight for some distance. It helps greatly to determine orientation.

STROBON Cree[emoji768] Standalone - Flytron

In my opinion, a video standard to achieve might be like this :-

Dundas Aqueduct near Bath by drone - YouTube

This was made by another member on the forum.

If you have time, go into your profile and add the country you are in. It will help if you only want replies from UK members.

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question. We are only to happy to help.

Enjoy the forum.

How did you fix the strobe onto the drone?

Strobe 1.JPG
How did you fix the strobe onto the drone?

Industrial velcro. Easily detached for charging.

Last edited:
Really?
AND why is taking pictures of nuclear bunkers 'cool'? They are only mounds of earth which would make a boring video.;)
I'm sure you are not a Star Wars fan. One of the movies was filmed there!
Greenham Common a MOD property?
You must be from the the cold war era. ;)

Last edited:
Deltamike I have not read anything you have typed because i am not interested.
If you wanted to be some kind of policeman maybe you should have tried harder at school.

I am an adult who can make his own mind up about where
i fly and what i do.

You have no idea if i have permission to take off in Basingstoke
I as many others have Enjoy flying drones at Greenham Common and never had a problem.
If that does not interest you mind your own business.

We look forward to your Basingstoke flying suggestions.

Deltamike I have not read anything you have typed because i am not interested.
If you wanted to be some kind of policeman maybe you should have tried harder at school.

I am an adult who can make his own mind up about where
i fly and what i do.

You have no idea if i have permission to take off in Basingstoke
I as many others have Enjoy flying drones at Greenham Common and never had a problem.
If that does not interest you mind your own business.

Good luck. Only trying to help in being aware of any pitfalls that might get you in to trouble. I woudnt want to see that happen to anyone.

Last edited:

How about Winchester Hill. If I remember, there are some great landscapes to be taken from there.

Edit :- How about the Watercress line. There is plenty of open space there and you could get some brill shots of trains.

Last edited:
Reactions: deltamike
Odiham castle might be a great subject, but keep at a low altitude because of the helicopters from the near by military base at Odiham

Has anyone flown at Odiham Castle, I want to photograph it with my phantom for a degree project I have looked at the site it’s owned by the council and is right on the edge of the Odiham ATZ as the phantom is sub 7kg technically flying there is legal I was wondering if anyone has done this and did you notify Odiham ATC what were they like? I know they have an RC aircraft club on the base any thoughts?

Given the New Forest ... and such interesting locations nearby ... as well as open space - surely its not a thing of finding a place to fly - more a blimey - too many choice locations !!

As to Rules and Regs ... yes I agree that matey was a bit OTT on his post ... but there are valid points. The BMFA is one that is good to consider. BMFA membership gives you 3rd Party Insurance cover ...

I assume you have looked around to see if any other flyers you might like to team up with ? You never know - you may even move on to regular RC ??

By the way - I used to live in Fareham and spent a lot of time flying in New Forest ... Hatchet Pond area ...

Nigel

Did you know that flying drones in the new Forrest is prohibited it’s against the forestry commission by laws they do have a process by which you can request permission but you can’t turn up and fly over crown lands apparently

Did you know that flying drones in the new Forrest is prohibited it’s against the forestry commission by laws they do have a process by which you can request permission but you can’t turn up and fly over crown lands apparently

No I didn't know that ... its been years since I had my last Foresters Licence to fly in the NF ...

I was a regular at Hatchet Pond airfield ...

Here's a converted 8mm from there ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some famous people in that video from UK RC scene of thosed days ...

and here's heli's from those days as well ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great days and great site ... only trouble we had was the Horsey set trying to get permission terminated. But it was Lord Mountbatten who secured the old airfield site for us ...
The other was Poole Pirates used to carve up some of it with their m/bikes ...

Nigel

Their are 101 different places to fly in the New Forest without ever seeing a single person.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan