Phantom 4 Pro (available in the DJI store)

We have to remember, history. The Phantom 4 didn't come close to the advertised flight times.

Not hating but 30 minutes on a big heavy bird like the P4 means 21 minutes probably

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Does anyone happen to know if you will still be able to use Litchi and other 3rd party Apps if you get the Phantom remote with built in screen?

Does anyone happen to know if you will still be able to use Litchi and other 3rd party Apps if you get the Phantom remote with built in screen?

That's a good question. If it is an android tablet, i wouldn't say why not, but then again, you never know

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: FASTFJR
Really tough call. I just got the Mavic. Two important factors I haven't heard anyone talk about in the hype.
1. Low Light - The lens on the P4pro is 2/3rds of a stop slower than the mavic (2.8 vs 2.2) the sensor size should give a 1 stop advantage effectively making the difference closer to 1/3rd of a stop in low light. Not sure why anyone else isn’t mentioning that.
2. Portrait mode - Doesn’t shoot in portrait mode. Seems trivial but this may be a non-starter for me now. Stitching vertical panos is a game changer and offsets the resolution advantage for me.
3. Size and weight - (1400 vs 700g).
For video this is a no brainer with visual tracking system and compression rate H265 and 4K60P is a huge advantage.
For stills, not sure if it’s worth the switch though.
I agree with many others, would love the new camera and tech in the mavic form factor, it just feels like a much cleaner and modern design.

2. Portrait mode - Doesn’t shoot in portrait mode. Seems trivial but this may be a non-starter for me now. Stitching vertical panos is a game changer and offsets the resolution advantage for me.
this is a massive one for me. should be able to get superb resolution on horizons with a series of stitched portrait shots.

I didn't buy the Mavic because I was waiting for the results on the new P4P but with the Inspire 2 looking so good, it's made choosing the new camera that much more difficult :) I don't have a problem with the size difference, it's all about the picture. I've found that I don't need 2 but... Man this is a serious addiction :)

You can install 3rd party Android apps. I don't know which apps will be compatible though. We'll likely have to wait for those 3rd party developers to get a hold of the new RC to test it.

Reactions: FASTFJR
The integrated screen looks very good - but small and a lot of extra $$.
Everything is a compromise in aerial photography.

I think the big plus on the integrated screen is they say it's ultra bright and readable in bright sunlight. I've tried many devices in bright sunlight and they're all pretty useless. I'm wondering if this one lives up to the claims. If it does, then I'm all in...

-slinger

There's a "U KNOW" flight mode too (unknown)..
intell-flight-modes.jpg

Tap this? :) Awesome...

-slinger

Reactions: morph1
The naming of the FPV stream system is related to the HMD DJI Goggles, Ocu = eye, sync = refresh rate. The Mavic's proper Fly more bundle is meant to be launched with the DJI HMD Goggles. The mavic was also marketed as a 'sports' drone. For those that don't know, the Mavic has the same sensor as the p4 with a different lens. The mavic camera has piss-poor 1080p@60/96FPS for aerial footage to accommodate for the FPV stream to goggles. The mavic's camera does pixel binning to assist the goggles for frame rates and low latency.

This is why the P4Pro doesn't see the need for Occustink. The P4Pro is all about professional photo quality. It wouldn't want to sacrifice pixel binning just to support some silly goggles.

Makes sense. The P4 Pro is obviously geared toward the Pro Photographer. The Mavic is geared towards FPV. With FPV, camera latency is the whole game. You really don't want to be zipping along and have a cam view of where you were five seconds ago. That would be bad...

-slinger

You'll need a device with GPS in order to use the Follow Me flight mode or to be able to reset the home point to your location after takeoff. If you don't need to use those features, then you don't need a device with GPS.

You'll need a device with GPS in order to use the Follow Me flight mode or to be able to reset the home point to your location after takeoff. If you don't need to use those features, then you don't need a device with GPS.
I just spoke with Kaye in customer support and she said the P4P+ does have GPS in the monitor. That's the one I ordered today also !

If I had to guess, based on DJI's history with the Phantom series, we will see the Phantom 5 in late March/early April of 2017.

I couldn't see them changing the camera much between now and then (some tweaking perhaps... i.e., a tiny bit of zoom). I'm basing this on when they moved up from the Phantom 3 Pro to the Phantom 4 (small camera differences).

I could see them adding something to the motion of the camera and the landing legs. The problem with the Phantom 4 & Phantom 4 Pro is that props and landing gear can still enter the frame. My guess is that this will no longer be the case with the release of the Phantom 5 (perhaps they'll just move the camera forward as per the Mavic Pro).

My finger is hovering over the "order" button. :)

Bah, you are making me second guess..... Its almost a time of year in Rochester where flying is not fun because of the cold and snow. Maybe I need to hold off until the spring and see what the 5 has. I am betting the base five will have everything the 4 pro has. Then a pro 5 will come out. This is as bad as the iphones...... You just never know when to pull the trigger.

I've had the Phantom 3 Professional since release, which has been the perfect drone for me. This looks like the next logical upgrade, was getting sick of the limitations of the camera on the P3.

I do agree with the comments around portability. I would prefer an upgraded DJI Mavic with this camera, especially for travelling.

Hoping there is some improvements to flying in cold climates. I know the Inspire has some new features around this, but too much $!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor