Phantom 4 discontinued

So suasnews.com is 'fake news'.

Couldn't resist.

Reactions: rubbadadolphin
I don't know that it's fake. However, if you're going to report a story as being true, you should at least have credible evidence.

Well, the letter is.. maybe ;)

All I saw was copy/pasted text. I might just be a skeptic though ;)

Reactions: antnyp85
No 'might be' for me!

Does any DJI reps hang out on this forum? Maybe one will chime in and confirm/ deny? Maybe even an official DJI dealer could chime in. That video has a supposed letter that was sent to dealers. If it were true, then I'm sure all dealers would have got it.

Otherwise we may be able to categorize that article next to BigFoot, the Chupicabra and Oak Island Treasure! ;)

DJI did not announce this. It was mentioned here though:

Wow. Honestly stunned.

Can't decide if this is true if buying Apple stock is a good or bad buy. A lot of times when a company like Apple buys a company that is overvalued which I believe DJI is, it is looking too far ahead and betting on things that haven't happened yet and with all the negative drone news, some might see it as a bad buy.

It's probably going to cost Apple, if it is true they are buying it, upwards of 10 billion or more which is where the crazy evaluation of DJI is around from what I heard a year ago. It is probably much more now.

I sure wish I owned a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percentage point of DJI private stock as it will go through the roof when/if it's sold.

I was speaking to an Apple manager at The Americana where I bought my P4s (March 10th), and he was singing praises about DJI unprovoked. It could just be my imagination now but why would a company take the #1 selling item out of production? The P4P has yet to be proven as reliable yet and the P4 is in it's safety zone. I guess they know what they are doing but it's mighty conspicuous to discontinue an item that the early adopters are still in warranty on. Hmmmm. Strange indeed.

It bothers me that I was enticed into buying a product that quickly becomes obsolete. That isn't to say it is a bad product either - on the contrary, it is really excellent. For the life of me I don't know why they would discontinue something so immensely popular, and risk alienating customers who bought into the product, who now find themselves with a depreciated asset - it is weird to say the very least. Does anybody else have any theories about why this was discontinued?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Yeah. I do. They're going to make the Pro the entry level product in the 4 lineup. Just like they've done with every other generation of the product ever produced and like every other manufacturer does when they come out with a better product that they can price similarly to the one it replaces. There's nothing magical or sinister going on here... Well, aside from the jumped to conclusion that it's actually happening, of which there is not one shred of credible evidence of. This is the way it WILL transpire, but until there is an official press release from DJI, it all seems much-ado about nothing to me.

If you think you were somehow sinisterly enticed into buying a P4, that's on you. You can always wait and purchase when the final model comes out. That way you'll have the last one to become obsolete. Good luck on figuring it out and the wait for it.

I bought a Sony a6300 to upgrade my a6000 when it came out. <6 months later, along comes the a6500. IMO, everything the a6300 should have been. Silly me. I thought it would follow a similar timeline as the a6000 to the a6300. It didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpmeyer
If anything's actually going on here, it's a Mavic with the Pro 4 camera (or better). Personally, I think everybody that's dreaming of a P5 are dreaming for something that will never happen. The Mavic is where it's at and DJI knows it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Mavic Pro+ as early as early spring.

I've been saying this since the P4P was announced. To be honest, I'm surprised that camera ever even appeared on a Phantom except purely on market reputation and to milk the final $$ out of that product name before finally putting it permanently out to pasture. People want a Phantom with a great camera that will fit in their pocket and yet fly like a Phantom. You tell me what product that is.

I'm a marked man. You heard it here first.

An asset?
Yea it's expensive.
Yea you CAN make some scratch with it.

But it's still a wirelessly controlled r/c Chinese toy flying camera.

Until I hear it straight from DJI, I don't believe it for one second.

Why would they have *just* introduced the Chinese New Year edition of the P4 -- 2 weeks ago at CES (I was there!) -- if it was to be discontinued?

As the old saying goes ...

"Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see."

One video starts a rumor and it spreads like wildfire. Silliness.

I believe the quote is opposite.
Half of what u see and none of what you hear.
However with CGI these days you can't believe what you see either.

Until I hear it straight from DJI, I don't believe it for one second.

Why would they have *just* introduced the Chinese New Year edition of the P4 -- 2 weeks ago at CES (I was there!) -- if it was to be discontinued?

As the old saying goes ...

"Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see."

One video starts a rumor and it spreads like wildfire. Silliness.

I completely agree... And the black Best Buy Edition which I got for Christmas just came out like the first week of December... Why would they release that, then the Chinese New Year Edition, only to discontinue the Phantom 4 right afterwards? Doesn't make sense to me. I'll wait until I hear it straight from DJI.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I believe the quote is opposite.
Half of what u see and none of what you hear.
However with CGI these days you can't believe what you see either.

Isn't that what I said? "Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see."

But either way, I think this is complete hokum. The Chinese New Year models haven't even started shipping yet - no way the P4 is discontinued. This is a quote from a single video from a single person - misspellings and all. Nobody's shown me one iota of truth behind this.

Isn't that what I said? "Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see."

But either way, I think this is complete hokum. The Chinese New Year models haven't even started shipping yet - no way the P4 is discontinued. This is a quote from a single video from a single person - misspellings and all. Nobody's shown me one iota of truth behind this.
Sorry. Was distracted and should have waited to reply. You are correct sir!

Honestly I don't care either way. My P4 is my first drone, I bought it to learn arial photography, I think I made a wise choice and it will serve me well. I'm either going to get crazy into this hobby or not and by this time next year I'll have no drone or whatever the latest and greatest is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka