Phantom 3s vs 3a for someone on a budget?

Reaction score
Hi,
I was looking to get into drone flying, and after a cheap toy I want to upgrade to somthing more heavy duty.
Ive been reading around but there isn't no straight list of pro's and con's.
At the moment I thug 3s plus case and battery is better than just the 3a drone, but I don't know enough to want to invest money. Please help :)

Get the advanced. Had the standard and the WiFi connection is bad. Lose video feed at 50 metres. The advanced is a lot more better. Are you in the UK? If so go to very.co.UK and get it on the buy now pay 12 months later 0% interest free. That's what I done. Just pay £60 a month for it

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Write down what you want to do with the model.

Then look at the specs of each - see which fits the bill best.

I decided that 500m range and Standard was good enough for me. Pal of mine wanted over 1000m without question - he chose Advanced.

I paid $499 + taxes for new ... he paid $800 with bag, extra battery's etc. second hand. Latvia is not cheap for these !

I now see refurbished guaranteed on market ... Advanced for just over $600 with some sellers. They may not be refurb'd by DJI - but guaranteed ? If I was buying again - I'd go for one !

Google is your friend to find them ...

Nigel

Get the advanced. Had the standard and the WiFi connection is bad. Lose video feed at 50 metres. The advanced is a lot more better. Are you in the UK? If so go to very.co.UK and get it on the buy now pay 12 months later 0% interest free. That's what I done. Just pay £60 a month for it

50meters ? did you ever had standard? free magic power mod + homemade windsurfer= around 2km range

I'd go with the Advanced. I bought the Stanfard initially but quickly became frustrated with the range. I live around LA and I could never get 500M, even with a windsurfer, but my range varried greatly depending on location. I got board flying it myself so I downloaded Litchi (a must have app) and started doing many long autonomous waypoint missions. This was super fun but danagerous because you have no control when out of range. Anyhow, last weekend I misculated the height of a palm tree and crashed last weekend. Now, I'm parting out my P3S and ordering a PSA, no question. I found a deal, $579, , new on eBay. I think the deal is gone now but you can still find them first around $600. Good luck.

50 Meters? something is VERY wrong. I have the P3S and live in a congested neighborhood wth a lot of wifi interference and still it goes out 300-350m. Take it out to the lake and that sucker went over a mile with no mods whatsoever; 100% stock.

He other thing is the difference in FPv delay of wifi vs light bridge. In a rural area (my flying place is at a rugby club or off a hill) would it really make mich of a difference?

IMG_0661.PNG

I've been using my Phantom 3 Standard for about a year now (www.kaufmanfocused) for some examples and I can personally say that the distance is far enough to lose sight of it and be scary enough. It will shoot out about a mile away in an open area, it will be restricted to roughly 300 (maybe 500) meters (still out of sight) away in a congested area. Any Phantom series drone you won't be displeased with in my opinion.

50 Meters? something is VERY wrong. I have the P3S and live in a congested neighborhood wth a lot of wifi interference and still it goes out 300-350m. Take it out to the lake and that sucker went over a mile with no mods whatsoever; 100% stock.
I could control the drone just the video feed was bad. That was with windsurfing too. But exchanges it for the advanced. Shop didn't even ask why, straight swap, and now love it. Flying just under 3 miles from a field

I'd go with the Advanced. I bought the Stanfard initially but quickly became frustrated with the range. I live around LA and I could never get 500M, even with a windsurfer, but my range varried greatly depending on location. I got board flying it myself so I downloaded Litchi (a must have app) and started doing many long autonomous waypoint missions. This was super fun but danagerous because you have no control when out of range. Anyhow, last weekend I misculated the height of a palm tree and crashed last weekend. Now, I'm parting out my P3S and ordering a PSA, no question. I found a deal, $579, , new on eBay. I think the deal is gone now but you can still find them first around $600. Good luck.
Also be sure to follow me on IG for my P3S footage at @BuzzyPeeper

I've gotten 4200+ feet with my Standard but average about 2000 feet average. Dunno why you would only get 50m of range but that sounds like a disconnected antenna inside the remote.

Last edited:
Reactions: dotcomray
My control range is over 600m but video gets iffy and lost about the 100m range with my Standard.

I am going to fit the Argtek antenna as well as apply Icarus patch .....

Nigel

Hi,
I was looking to get into drone flying, and after a cheap toy I want to upgrade to somthing more heavy duty.
Ive been reading around but there isn't no straight list of pro's and con's.
At the moment I thug 3s plus case and battery is better than just the 3a drone, but I don't know enough to want to invest money. Please help :)
Phantom 3 Standard does not have GLONASS (so less GPS sats) or VPS (downward Vision Positioning System), and the camera won't do 4k. The remote for the Standard is a bit toy-like and has less features. the VPS on the Advanced helps stabilize the bird at very low altitude, or indoors where satellites won't penetrate.
I own a Standard and a Pro. Both are great, but you probably won't be satisfied with the Standard for long. Get the Advanced, if you can swing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen