From P3S to P3A any tips?

Reaction score
Hi guys... I recently got a P3S and had to return it as it wouldn't go any higher then 40M without losing video feed (in a big open park) so I sent it back, and upgraded to a P3A (which is being delayed as its out of stock AHHHHH) my question is..

1) do I need to do anything on my first set up differently to the standard?
2) should I upgrade or not upgrade the firmware when I get it out the box?
3) should I make the P3A take off from a book rather then grass in the park?
4) I know you shouldn't have metal around when you do the calibration but.... does that include facial piercings as I have 9 in my face ? (don't think anyone has asked that before lol)
5) anything I should be aware off that is different from the P3S to the P3A when flying that is different?
6) I have the antenna boosters ready and waiting to fit on the controller (its a slide on one, not the kind you have to open the controller up) should I use this straight away?
7) any apps I shouldn't download from the app store that may effect the phantom? I have seen an app that you can adjust the signal strength so it can go further, but I don't want to get involved in that
8) anything I should be doing after every flight to keep it in good condition?

thanks for the time for reading guys.... still new and don't want to damage my drone (haven't even paid for it yet... got it on credit.. I know I know)

I just did the same thing went from p3s to p3a. Spent many hours last night trouble shooting via google and this forum. Finally about 11 last night was able to get everything up to date.... took the p3a out for first flight today only to discover apparently my house is in a NFZ and the motors would not engage. oh well try again somewhere else tomorrow

I don't have any answers to your questions but curios to see what replies you get lol.

Reactions: Neon Euc
wow... sorry to hear about the NFZ... what if you went into ATTI mode? would that help ;-)
what software are you running out of curiosity and was it through an update?

Nope wouldn't take off either in atti mode. When I go to engage motors a warning pops up saying I'm in a nfz and cannot fly.

I upgraded to the latest firmware. I bought the p3a used so I was having a difficult time with it connecting in the go app.

wow.. I had no idea ATTI would still restrict you. sorry to hear that mate. and with your upgrade will you keep me posted on the height and distance when you get to fly?. I would really appreciate that :)

Yeah sure. Although I have yet to get over the fear of flying out of sight. And who the hell knows what Monday's going to bring for me with the new faa rule changes.

Hi guys... I recently got a P3S and had to return it as it wouldn't go any higher then 40M without losing video feed (in a big open park) so I sent it back, and upgraded to a P3A (which is being delayed as its out of stock AHHHHH) my question is..

1) do I need to do anything on my first set up differently to the standard?
3) should I make the P3A take off from a book rather then grass in the park?
4) I know you shouldn't have metal around when you do the calibration but.... does that include facial piercings as I have 9 in my face ? (don't think anyone has asked that before lol)
5) anything I should be aware off that is different from the P3S to the P3A when flying that is different?
6) I have the antenna boosters ready and waiting to fit on the controller (its a slide on one, not the kind you have to open the controller up) should I use this straight away?
7) any apps I shouldn't download from the app store that may effect the phantom? I have seen an app that you can adjust the signal strength so it can go further, but I don't want to get involved in that
8) anything I should be doing after every flight to keep it in good condition?

thanks for the time for reading guys.... still new and don't want to damage my drone (haven't even paid for it yet... got it on credit.. I know I know)
I took my week old P3 4K back and swapped it for a P3 Advanced yesterday. The P3s/4K range is a joke. To answer your questions (in my opinion):

1) No, but firmware updates have to be installed from the SD Card on the Adv/Pro.
2) Yes (plus all battery packs)
3) People do this to protect the camera / tall grass hitting rotors, if it's a box landing can be easier and it's a handy "home" point. I do it on grass but not on hard surfaces.
4) Doubt that will make a difference!
5) They seem to handle the same to me
6) I use them, as you can increase range even further
7) Pass
8) Blades for stress factors (splitting, cracking), battery health every once in a while. Re-cal compass and IMU if you drastically move location from last flight or you had a crash.

My humble advice to this question is always no, do not upgrade right out of the box. Here are my reasons.
It may be different for you since you are already experienced with a P3.

One comment we see often when people move up from a P3S is that the P3S is much smoother with automated landings than the P3P/A. We are often asked how to adjust the P3P/A landings to match the P3S. Unfortunately, there are no adjustments. The P3P/A just does not land as smoothly as the P3S, no matter if VPS is on or off. [Note that every thread on this topic becomes a list of posts saying to "land manually" or to "hand catch only."]

Also, even though you are experienced with a P3, here is my list of tips for whenever a new pilot asks for "any tips." Maybe you'll happen to see something useful.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4