Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.6.0040

There must come a time when the GO app asks too much of the smartphone. That is my greatest fear - that I'll have to shell out for the latest phone in order for things to work again

Well, I have an iPhone 6s w/128gb. That should be enough to power through it and both devices are on DJI's approved device list. My iPad Mini 2 has an A7 chip and the iPhone 6s has an A9 chip so at least the iPhone should be able to handle the Go app w/o any problems. But I am having the same problem with both devices. The only thing different is the 1.5 FW update, or 1.6 now.

So today in 64F So. Calif weather I had a chance to test again with 1.6 firmware on my old motor Phantom 3P. My vertical speed at full charge was about 7-8mph with a fresh 100% battery, however toward the end of that first climb, it was ~7mph. At 45% charge it would bounce between 6-7mph, most at 6.9mph. The horizontal speed was still 33 to 35mph like before, but it was slower acceleration getting to top speed (solely based on my memory). Coincidentally I had a fellow phantompilot.com member (MikeyG) with me flying with 1.4 firmware on his old motor Phantom 3P. I was very curious if his speed was 11mph like I remembered having with 1.4, and sure enough his P3P would ascend at 11mph, just like I remembered. It did this at 100% charge and at 40%, no difference. This definitively proves the ascend power of the Phantom 3P has been throttled in the 1.6 firmware by about 35%. Will this make batteries last longer? Maybe, in theory it should. Does this matter to me? Mostly I'll miss the acceleration when I'm tracking fast moving objects like SeaDoos, cars, surfers, skiers, etc. I'll only miss the faster ascend speeds when escaping from Seagull attacks, up up up up, and outta there. The acceleration and connection distance of the Phantom 3P was the hallmark of the capabilities. Coming from the Q500+ (17mph - 1/2mi distance) this is what sold me on DJI, hands down. The Phantom 3P is still superior than others in this class of drone, at this point, but I've been spoiled by better P3P performance. I would prefer to get it back. Maybe DJI will come up with a better solution over time.
From the sound of your report, I think they limited the motor speed and hence the current draw when lifting vertically. This reduces battery current load, internal voltage drop and overall cell voltage does not go down as much as it would under the earlier firmware. Did they really fix the battery shutdown when drops below 3v per cell occurs? Who knows. I wish they would be more technically truthful with their release notes. Does anyone know if they removed the "smart" battery shutdown at lower than 3v?

+1 kphantom

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, those are my numbers. I've always noticed my bird would go up at 11mph upon full throttle in ad straight up vertical ascent before this week. Yesterday in 55F sunny conditions, just after my 1.6 upgrade, full throttle straight vertical ascent fluctuated between 5 and 6 mph. I also noticed that when giving it full throttle up and full forward simultaneously, the ascent angle went from about 35 degrees to about 15 degrees. This is something I do all the time, I can see the difference, so I know DJI has put a current draw limitation on the system that reduces the snappy performance it use to have, and it's not just in cold conditions, although it might be even worse performance in 30F weather.

This totally sucks !!!!

When i first got the phantom P3 i assumed it was a fly out the box with an occasional fw update and that dji would have sorted out most of the firmware and apps in regard to popular devices,
After the first few times i flew it i was faced with an AC update, RC update, new go app version, i spent hours reading problems other were having, reported bricked phantoms, multiple update attempts leaving owners frustrated, then reports of drifting, vibrations, and reports of poor customer service,
I went along with all update requests as they came with no problems regarding failed updates or any issues with drifting,vibration,
Then one morning as reported i had planned a rather long journey with intentions to fly a certain area, while having breakfast i turned the on ipad intending to cache the map needed only to find the internet was down, i set off stopping on the way at a roadside cafe to quickly cache the map and continue the journey, on arrival i set up to fly only to have the go app inform me updates required and the app closing down, after a few attempts with the same result i wrongly concluded dji was not going to allow me to fly until after updating and my day had been wasted, then made the 3 hour ride back home.

On arriving home i turned the network on starting 2 computers before going for a shower thinking this update would be a quick action and without doubt the last time till middle of 2016 at least,
Coming back down stairs it seems i could,nt have been more wrong, 2 computers installing updates which seemed to be complete new OS versions, turned the ipad on it was asking me to update to 9.2 to which i complied, put the android phone on charge and put it on wifi which asked to update telling me not to use during updating,deciding to watch some tv while this was going on, the smart tv went into firmware updates as the remote button was pressed,
A few hours later i finally got around to the 1.6 phantom FW update along with each battery, did a cold imu calibration and while on a level surface the gimble too, exhausted and tired of updates around me i went to bed around 2am,
I have to admit after each FW update my confidence is low on the first flight, along with reading threads titled major vibrations, drifting, phantom dropped out the sky, battery shut off, and so on,

The only issue i have till now is an intermittent IMU ESC ERROR which first happened after the 1.5 update,
I lived in hope then next update would resolve this but that never worked out, i have followed other threads when people reported the same error but never seen any answers, one guy wrote he used to get the same error , his answer was to pull the battery then turn the props a little, on turning back on the error message was gone, for mine this did not work,
I only seem to get this error when changing to the 2nd-3rd battery, i can only assume something is running hot because when left to cool the issue is gone,

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Well, you guys have said it all. Upgrading to 1.5 and then 1.6 have been crippled it would seem in favour of the system being conservatively sympathetic to battery stress conservation.

IMO, batteries will continue to be stressed at lower threshold levels as they continue to age and why I think it should remain the operator's responsibility to monitor battery performance cycle history, rather than DJI continuing to hastily cripple the performance specifications of the system in order to mitigate repair/replacement warranty liabilities.

I have rolled back to 1.3.20 from 1.4 with the current RC firmware. Performed the IMU calibration despite the check saying it was not necessary and I am getting a ROCK SOLID hover with and without prop guards. Go figure....

Reactions: Mordor
I'm getting rock solid hover from 1.6. That and plenty of speed. Still not sure what the fuss is about.

Reactions: ELHEAPO
Decrease in vertical and horizontal speed? Say what?:( I like being able to fly at 30 to 34 mph. 5 mph can make a big difference if you fly long range and get caught in some air currents. When somebody has tested the new firmware, please confirm the new speed.:cool:
I clocked 37.1 mph on my first flight yesterday with no wind and I let up on the throttle early! Totally shocked at the speed

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes I noticed a decrease in speed when you increase altitude , it was a lot more powerful before update . Does it really make a difference to save p3's by lowering our power

Reactions: CaptPhantom
Well you can add me to the list of people having issues with firmware 1.6. I have a P3P that I decided to upgrade even after reading through all the pages of this topic (major mistake). I don't know what version I had before the upgrade. Probably 1.3 or 1.4. My unit was rock stabile and flew great. Now it has a nasty vibration when hovering and is drifting all over the place. It is really struggling to handle the wind. It also does not fly in a straight line (drifts) and does not have the power flying up and horizontally that it did before the firmware upgrade. Sure wish I had just left it alone. I tried a IMU calibration and adjusted the gains to the levels suggested in some earlier post with just minor improvement. I have lots of flights with this guy, with no problems. Never crashed. While these problems are not being seem by everyone that has upgraded the firmware, they are most definitely very real. The firmware upgrade on my P3P has greatly degraded the speed performance and stability of the craft. I was flying into a headwind that in the P3P would of handled with no problem before the upgrade ("upgrade more like a downgrade") but now it is jumping all over the place and it was barely making head way. I you fly with the wind make sure you leave yourself lots and lots of battery life to get back home because it does not have the power it did before this firmware update. When you fly it up it takes off quickly but then slows up after a couple of seconds. It really looks like they have put a lower limit on the max. current draw.

I had the issue happen to me that I think they were trying to fix with the firmware version. I had 36% battery left and I got a critical battery voltage message right after I took the P3P from 30 feet to 250 feet elevation. I was in the middle of a lake when it happened and I just barely made it back to shore before it landed. Their has to be a better way to manage this issue then to cripple the unit performance. I sure hope someone either figures out a way to roll the firmware back further that 1.5 or they restore the unit performance with another firmware update.

Reactions: Mordor
When trying to update to this firmware, the LED on the front of my P3P went from Green/Red to solid red with a solid annoying tone. Logs say the update failed and to try again. I tried 4 or 5 times plus tried to roll back to 1.5 then 1.4. No good. My P3P is a $1300 paper weight.
Have you tried removing the SD card from the P3 and booting again. According to TFM, you should boot into your last good condition. Make sure the RC is off.

Can you tell me please if with the last firmware i have to update rc and batteries?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-N9005 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

sledman1

Im totally with you and problably you had the 1.3.2 firmware, without drifting issues...

My opinion:

Since they introduce more functionality s, somehow the stability has sacrificed and now i have something that flys under alcoholic effect...o_O

1.1.9 was top rock steady.......

Reactions: John Decker
I'm getting rock solid hover from 1.6. That and plenty of speed. Still not sure what the fuss is about.
same here, people would moan about a 1mph drop on here i think its been blown out of proportion. The biggest concern is the geo fencing I think 1.6 is fine not sure if I will do further firmware updates certainly NOT on the GO app as these NFZ restrictions are becoming more and more intrusive to most peoples everyday flying and the restrictions especially in the US and soon all across the world could cripple this hobby and possible business!!

same here, people would moan about a 1mph drop on here i think its been blown out of proportion. The biggest concern is the geo fencing I think 1.6 is fine not sure if I will do further firmware updates certainly NOT on the GO app as these NFZ restrictions are becoming more and more intrusive to most peoples everyday flying and the restrictions especially in the US and soon all across the world could cripple this hobby and possible business!!
I hope neither of you find out what the fuss is about. May you continue to have rock solid hovering and a stable flight. But i can assure you that when that goes you will miss it and join in the messages asking 'why?'

Reactions: Mordor and sledman1
I had the issue happen to me that I think they were trying to fix with the firmware version. I had 36% battery left and I got a critical battery voltage message right after I took the P3P from 30 feet to 250 feet elevation. I was in the middle of a lake when it happened and I just barely made it back to shore before it landed. Their has to be a better way to manage this issue then to cripple the unit performance. I sure hope someone either figures out a way to roll the firmware back further that 1.5 or they restore the unit performance with another firmware update.
You wouldn't be doing this below 50% if you have the battery monitoring open on the app.
Even with an almost full battery, going up full power hammers the cells which will briefly drop into yellow zone.
By about 50% they are already all in yellow, and doing an energy sapping move will have one or more in the red.

I don't know why this is only affecting some people but I am must definitely not blowing it out of proportion. The problems are real and they are very significant. Just because it did not happen to you does not mean the problems don't exists or that they are minor.

I have seen some post about different motors used in the Phantom 3's. Did they change the motors at some point? Perhaps that has something to do with it.

I don't know why this is only affecting some people but I am must definitely not blowing it out of proportion. The problems are real and they are very significant. Just because it did not happen to you does not mean the problems don't exists or that they are minor.

I have seen some post about different motors used in the Phantom 3's. Did they change the motors at some point? Perhaps that has something to do with it.
Sorry point was about the drop in speed not the other problems on practically every firmware update I've been in involved with from Fc40 to p2v+ and now p3 there have always been minor problems and people reporting problems the speed issue with this update in my opinion isn't a biggy!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT