Phantom 3 Professional - Crashed into Lake

I too think a prop flew off or broke. I can't see the A/C spinning out in the way it appears to have for any other reason. Did you include in your preflight a "tight check", making sure your props were given a snug tightening turn? Did you look your props over for signs of cracks or wear?
If it didn't hit a bird, then a prop failed.

It's funny that you took the time to ask about the one thing that I said I always do.

If I have a preflight check item to test whether the props are "tight enough", why on earth would I have another one to make sure they are "extra tight enough"....lol

Yes. I looked them over. There were no visible signs of damage or wear.

How would a motor malfunction differ from a prop break?

I'm leaning more towards a motor malfunction with my guess mostly because of the pictures which show the props to be stationary and also becuase of the fact that everything recovered and stabilized for a few seconds before failing completely. I can't see how that would happen with a broken or missing prop.

If you knew someone with a portable 3D sonar like bass fisherman, etc use you might well find it, especially if you have a reasonable notion of where the bird is. They have resolution in the order of inches at those depths.

Maybe somebody needs to market a sonar pinger for Phantoms that is water actuated - like real planes have.

That would be cool! I'm in! Send me a link to your Kickstarter page! :)

It's funny that you took the time to ask about the one thing that I said I always do.

If I have a preflight check item to test whether the props are "tight enough", why on earth would I have another one to make sure they are "extra tight enough"....lol

I'm leaning more towards a motor malfunction with my guess mostly because of the pictures which show the props to be stationary and also becuase of the fact that everything recovered and stabilized for a few seconds before failing completely. I can't see how that would happen with a broken or missing prop.
Where are the pictures of the props when they are stationary?

The pictures of the props that you posted are an imaging effect of the camera sensor. The props are spinning at a high speed in these pictures.

I only asked because I suffered the same fate (with a very similar set of numbers) a few months ago with my 1st P3P.
My checklist actually showed the extra tightening check; but luckily, on this one day, my wife recorded the whole process ..... and the video showed I actually missed doing both - and because I got distracted by a flock of Seabirds, that still might have determined my fate.
No slight .... just a Father and Grandfather ....

Reactions: kirk2579 and HWCM
The pictures of the props that you posted are an imaging effect of the camera sensor. The props are spinning at a high speed in these pictures.

I only posted one frame grab but the props are visible in several frames both before the errors started and after - several seconds apart.

In all of the frames prior to the errors, there is normal motion blur visible on the props. Conversely, in all of the frames that occur after the first error appears, the props appear as they look in the photo I uploaded - crystal clear (no motion blur) and always in that same horizontal orientation.

Reactions: Reed L
I only posted one frame grab but the props are visible in several frames both before the errors started and after - several seconds apart.

In all of the frames prior to the errors, there is normal motion blur visible on the props. Conversely, in all of the frames that occur after the first error appears, the props appear as they look in the photo I uploaded - crystal clear (no motion blur) and always in that same horizontal orientation.
Ahhh. I sure hope you get a replacement. This is depressing to lose.

Reactions: Tenly
This is such a bummer...but it does reinforce keeping your AC in a line of sight at all times. I have allowed mine out of sight once, and it lost connection. Really scared me, not only for the possibility of losing it, but more having it hit someone or a car and then being fined, sued, or worse by the authorities. My FAA number is on my AC as per the law. Sometimes I think about peeling it off...then I just have fun with it and take great videos and pictures. Anyways, good luck with getting yours replaced.

If you knew someone with a portable 3D sonar like bass fisherman, etc use you might well find it, especially if you have a reasonable notion of where the bird is. They have resolution in the order of inches at those depths.

Maybe somebody needs to market a sonar pinger for Phantoms that is water actuated - like real planes have.
I have a 3D sonar/ GPS on my boat in Lake Michigan. I'm sure it's a much smaller lake.

I have a 3D sonar/ GPS on my boat in Lake Michigan. I'm sure it's a much smaller lake.

The lake I lost it in is part of the Trent-Severn Waterway - so you could get to it from Lake Michigan.

Can you please leave first thing in the morning? Call me when you get to Lake Ontario and I'll give you directions from there.... :)

Here again is the difference in how the props looked before things went wrong compared to as things were going wrong... Do you still think it's just an imaging artifact or does it look like they're actually stopped in the second pic?

Before any trouble started...
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1464754667.887033.jpg

Just before I lost connection...
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1464754716.563546.jpg

And as a special treat, here is the final 11 seconds of video - after things had gone really wonky but then appeared to stabilize for 5-6 seconds....

Reactions: Reed L
This is such a bummer...but it does reinforce keeping your AC in a line of sight at all times. I have allowed mine out of sight once, and it lost connection. Really scared me, not only for the possibility of losing it, but more having it hit someone or a car and then being fined, sued, or worse by the authorities. My FAA number is on my AC as per the law. Sometimes I think about peeling it off...then I just have fun with it and take great videos and pictures. Anyways, good luck with getting yours replaced.

Thanks. But it was in line of sight when this happened. It didn't help.

The only problem with using a sonar at that depth is your image of the bottom will be very small. On a typical 20 degree cone transducer you would see about a three foot circle at a 10 foot depth. Basically you will see a diameter of about 1/3 of the depth.
5 foot depth =5*.33= 1.65 foot circle
10 foot depth = 10*.33= 3.3 foot circle
15 foot depth = 15*.33= 4.95 foot circle

As others have said, contact DJI. Seems similar to my story and they repaired mine under warranty. I haven't had an issue since.

Reactions: Digdat0
I was under the impression that DJI won't cover under warranty or replace if you were flying over water??

As others have said, contact DJI. Seems similar to my story and they repaired mine under warranty. I haven't had an issue since.

Of course! That is the first thing I did. The ticket has been opened for 2 days and 2 hours but there has been no contact from anybody at DJI yet....

What were the circumstances of your incident? Did you have a crashed bird to send back to them or was yours gone completely also? How did the process go? (i.e. What information did they ask you to send? Did you have to argue with them? Did they tell you what the problem was?)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing