Phantom 3 fell from the sky and crushed the roof of a moving car

A perfect impact impression on all four motor tops. Hubs still intact. Two different areas of impression with an area of less deformity in between. Something pushed that roof down equally as hard on the passenger side as it did on the driver's side. No idea how a Phantom would do that.

I can believe the hubs still intact since the car metal collapsed allowing for less impact/force at the hubs.

Two different areas of depression - with an area of less deformity in between - the "in between" part is no doubt the centre support beam for the roof.

It is possible the dent on the passenger side is from "crater effect" whereas an impact on either side would collapse the other with the center remaining without much of a dent (support beam) - it is also possible as you stated secondary damage from someone looking to cash in on insurance.

It is impossible for me to say that all the damage or any of the damage was caused by what was stated to have happened - all my posts are saying it is more than possible this could very well be the results of an impact on vehicle metal - be it from a Phantom 3, a base ball or whatever. And as such I can't just doubt the OP.

As "Medina" said - it might all be an April Fools joke - doubtful but possible.

Didn't you ever watch tv CSI?! Hahahaha

LOL - ya I watched that stunned show a couple of times. Truly if you wanted to apply just "science" to this you wont get far - however "physics" speaks volumes as to what happened here. But you are right - all the evidence is right there - just have to put it together.

I'm no expert in assessing damage like that - just stating how much damage CAN be done to thin automobile steel from just a small impact....!

What I got from that vid is a stark reminder/warning, on what can happen and probably happen soon, if this sport is not respected.
So whether it's true or not , the content worked for me.
So thanks for sharing the video. It will allow me to continue to be a responsible pilot, like so many in this forum.

Very well put Robert, I concur - my whole point of my posts regarding the amount of damage and considering the details of the original post.....a moving vehicle, fall of decent, Phantom (velocity) and force (g's) of a 2.5lb object, the thickness/thinness of the automotive steel (on average is 22ga or 1/32") and location of impact (non structural area) was not to prove or disprove the story itself but rather the consequences of mentioned details and real life fact that it could very well happen with same results.....or worse!

Yup - fly safe - be responsible - follow the rules and in particular to not fly over highways, streets, property etc, etc.......only enhances all our chances of continued fun with these units.

This car was crushed by a falling Phantom. The guys in the picture are witnesses. This is true! believe me!

038269-hoon-car-crushed.jpg

At 13 seconds when the video ends, is the drone still way to high for impact still looks like it's in the horizon?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd guess that somehow the motors got shut off by pushing the combination stick move. That being said, I'd never fly the phantom in the middle of a city in Brazil. There are way too many big buildings. I am on vacation in Brazil now. The other day, I decided to attempt a short flight on the patio of my building. Well the thing went in atti mode, and crashed into the side of the building. I have only flown the thing at a secure beach. I'm seriously worried about getting mugged if I were to fly it in an ordinary place.

At 13 seconds when the video ends, is the drone still way to high for impact still looks like it's in the horizon?
You will not find the last frames saved on the memory card since there is a latency in every digital camera. The last frames will be lost after power is lost.
This is why dashboard cameras have a small battery built in to manage to write the last frames to the memory card in case the camera survives the crash when power has been lost.

Last edited:

The times and velocities actually look about right though. Time from loss of attitude control to loss of video is around 7 seconds. From the screen shots of the phone, at FT 04:32 the aircraft is reporting 92 m altitude, already descending at 10.2 m/s. At FT 04:37 the aircraft is reporting 4 m altitude descending at 21.9 m/s. Interpolating linear acceleration beteen those reporting points indicates that it would have descended 88 m in 5.48 s, at an acceleration of 2.15 m/s² (0.22 g), which is consistent with the reported times and not an unreasonable mean acceleration for a falling Phantom with 3 motors running.

Yes a Phantom drone would do that kind of damage when free falling from the sky I have seen much worse

It wasn't quite free falling - its mean acceleration was apparently only around 1/5 g, but it appears to have hit at around 22 m/s (49 mph). I agree that it could do substantial damage to a vehicle in those circumstances. The extent (area), as opposed to the depth, of the roof damage in the photos does seem odd though.

You will not find the last frames saved on the memory card since there is a latency in every digital camera. The last frames will be lost after power is lost.
This is why dashboard cameras have a small battery built in to manage to write the last frames to the memory card in case the camera survives the crash when power has been lost.

And that would also explain why the fall only lasts 7 seconds on the video, while it should have been around 9 seconds based on the screenshot data.

The only thing I have learned from this thread is how gullible some are. I guess that's the open mind thing. The roof section looks to have a center support running front to back. How does hitting one side and crushing it in crush the other side down also. The hit side would have a pulling effect on the metal on the other side trying to stretch it...not push it down. I guess gravity and physics in Brazil are different than anywhere else in the world.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Yes a Phantom drone would do that kind of damage when free falling from the sky

Couldn't agree more - considering the impact from the Phantom was around the 50 mph range (@ 22 m/sec) - pretty high "force impact".

Couldn't agree more - considering the impact from the Phantom was around the 50 mph range (@ 22 m/sec) - pretty high "force impact".

The fundamental and reasonable question, however, is why does the damage to the roof extend so far from what appears to be the obvious impact point?

Welcome, Djalma!
The one thing no one has mentioned: This thing was moving much faster than just falling. First screencap indicated a motor failure, second one says GPS lost. Now it's upside down with only a barometer (compass is screwed when spinning that fast). So guess what? It senses the altitude changes and sends full power to the remaining props, increasing the spin and the downward velocity.
I'd say she's lucky it didn't crumple enough to knock her out cold!

Welcome, Djalma!
The one thing no one has mentioned: This thing was moving much faster than just falling. First screencap indicated a motor failure, second one says GPS lost. Now it's upside down with only a barometer (compass is screwed when spinning that fast). So guess what? It senses the altitude changes and sends full power to the remaining props, increasing the spin and the downward velocity.
I'd say she's lucky it didn't crumple enough to knock her out cold!

There's also a 3-axis Gyro and 3-axis Accelerometer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT