Phantom 3 fell from the sky and crushed the roof of a moving car

Phantom 3 fell from the sky and crushed the roof of a moving car.

Thank you for posting that Djalma.........I cant believe the doubters who - doubted this right away without really giving it any thought!

Ever see the damage hail stones can do to automotive steel/skins? Or a baseball that crashes down onto a parked vehicle roof or hood - you would swear someone hit it with something a lot larger!

Compare a moving baseball that weighs 5 - 5.25 ounces with about a 2.5" diameter ---- to a 2.5lb Phantom with approximately 8x the diameter of a baseball - then consider the damage one or the other can do when falling from the sky and onto a moving vehicle (impact force is likely close to double in this event). Even a baseball that hit in the center of a vehicle roof could potentially collapse it from all four sides - considering the thickness of the steel.

Automotive steel is on average 22ga which is about 1/32" in thickness. On rooftops and other curved areas the steel has been stretched (I forget the proper term here) during molding and/or pressing and as such a hit in one area can cause an enormous amount of damage when the metal is pulled towards the area of impact - called a "crater effect" when hit by a small object and especially from one that is moving at high speed - in particular when falling from the sky.

Go outside and pound the hood or roof of your car and see how much of dent/crater you will leave from just the diameter of your fist!

The initial impact was likely on one side of the vehicle roof and then a very possible flip or bounce could have happened causing further damage. Even without any kind of secondary impact - a direct hit in one area could without doubt cause the damage as seen in the photo. Stretched steel at 1/32" will pull towards the point of impact and collapse all around itself - hence the crater type effect.

Save your breath Djalma when trying to defend your thread/postings...........it is what it is! Thanks again for posting - important to know these things.

As the rules are there in the US? It is allowed to fly over houses, roads, buildings? Already saw video people flying in NY.

Here in Brazil the rules are still being studied. In a previous regulation said to fly at a distance of 30 meters from any building, something that would make feasible the use of drones to photograph the city.

Thank you for posting that Djalma.........I cant believe the doubters who - doubted this right away without really giving it any thought!

Ever see the damage hail stones can do to automotive steel/skins? Or a baseball that crashes down onto a parked vehicle roof or hood - you would swear someone hit it with something a lot larger!

Compare a moving baseball that weighs 5 - 5.25 ounces with about a 2.5" diameter ---- to a 2.5lb Phantom with approximately 8x the diameter of a baseball - then consider the damage one or the other can do when falling from the sky and onto a moving vehicle (impact force is likely close to double in this event). Even a baseball that hit in the center of a vehicle roof could potentially collapse it from all four sides - considering the thickness of the steel.

Automotive steel is on average 22ga which is about 1/32" in thickness. On rooftops and other curved areas the steel has been stretched (I forget the proper term here) during molding and/or pressing and as such a hit in one area can cause an enormous amount of damage when the metal is pulled towards the area of impact - called a "crater effect" when hit by a small object and especially from one that is moving at high speed - in particular when falling from the sky.

Go outside and pound the hood or roof of your car and see how much of dent/crater you will leave from just the diameter of your fist!

The initial impact was likely on one side of the vehicle roof and then a very possible flip or bounce could have happened causing further damage. Even without any kind of secondary impact - a direct hit in one area could without doubt cause the damage as seen in the photo. Stretched steel at 1/32" will pull towards the point of impact and collapse all around itself - hence the crater type effect.

Save your breath Djalma when trying to defend your thread/postings...........it is what it is! Thanks again for posting - important to know these things.

Not everyone is questioning it because they think the person is lying.

For what it's worth, my comment is simply because I do like to see anyone ripped off in an insurance scam; not because the person is not being believed.

Not everyone is questioning it because they think the person is lying.

Very true - hence the reason I mentioned "doubters" - not intended to pull everyone into the same mold at all! Thanks.

This thread stinks. The only way a Phantom could make that much damage is if it was carrying a 25lb weight.

Yikes - "ianwood', I am really surprised to read that comment considering the way you analyze every detail with other issues regarding flight faults/failures etc. Seemed to me anyway that you are very meticulous with regard to 'root cause failure" analysis for other issues! Yet you dismiss this so quickly as to not being truthful!

Seriously speaking - there is no doubt in my mind the event as described could cause that much damage. A parked vehicle that has a even a door panel "toe" kicked can leave a dent near the size of the door itself! And that is damage on a parked vehicle - an impact at high speed will do an incredible amount of damage to steel as thin as a vehicle roof top.

Can you please explain to me how one quad can create 2 pretty clearly shown impact point?

Nope - I can't explain that with any real degree of accuracy as I did not see the accident - however I don't doubt it either. As stated it is possible the Phantom impacted one spot then there was a secondary impact (doubtful though due to no marks on the other dented area (passenger side).

However looking at the photo it appears the impact on the one side that shows the 4 pot marks (drivers side) is near the center support beam for the rooftop hence less denting - the other side doesn't really look damaged as to any physical marks you might expect from a secondary impact - only the dent which could have been from the crater - which wouldn't need a 2nd impact to collapse.

Sure it's easy to dent metal on a car. The metal is thinner on newer cars but it is a different steel than used in older cars and stronger. . This was not just dented but crushed in. In two places it looks. Also, . even if the car was moving I doubt the speed was high at all because of the area and then it would have been a glancing blow.

A perfect impact impression on all four motor tops. Hubs still intact. Two different areas of impression with an area of less deformity in between. Something pushed that roof down equally as hard on the passenger side as it did on the driver's side. No idea how a Phantom would do that.

I've seen a Phantom impale itself on a car. It looks nothing like this.

Hello folks , might as well get my two cents in.
Don't no if the story is true or not, but I would take note on if that was to really happen here in America. As I see many videos in here where p3 pilots fly over cars , people , buildings , etc.
I assure you at that height, a p3 will do much damage in a dead fall. Imagine one dropping on a major interstate right in front of you, or smashes your windshield going 60 mph.
What I got from that vid is a stark reminder/warning, on what can happen and probably happen soon, if this sport is not respected.
So whether it's true or not , the content worked for me.
So thanks for sharing the video. It will allow me to continue to be a responsible pilot, like so many in this forum.
Robert

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nope - I can't explain that with any real degree of accuracy as I did not see the accident - however I don't doubt it either.

Actually you don't have to see the accident as it happen.
We have the video as it happen
We have pic of the car and the impact area
We have pic of the quad

We can use science to conclude what can or can not happen.

Didn't you ever watch tv CSI?! Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT