Phantom 3 alternatives?

Yes, but how much does it cost to have the lens changed on the GoPro? And, have you honestly had any real use for all those frame rates?
AND, how dumb is it to suggest that a camera is no good because it can only be used for the specific purpose for which it was designed?

It cost a total of $140 for the lens. The disassembly, reassembly and focus of the camera took 1 1/2 hours all of which was done by myself.

As I dislike fisheye I strictly use narrow settings which limits my use 4 or 2.7K frame rates. That is why I changed the lens on my GoPro advantage of the higher quality of Ultra HD which when down-rezzed to 1080p produces very high quality HD video.

Since I'm probably communicating with someone who as very little knowledge of cameras or there usefulness I will stand by my statement. All P2 vision and P3 cameras are single use only and basicly of poor quality verses that of the GoPro 3+ bl and 4 bl cameras.

You may not like what I have say to but then I could really care less what you think.

Are you comparing the GoPro Hero 3/4 with the P3?

Yes. P3P is effectively the same camera as the Inspire. Which is what all the comparison is about.
There's a better chance there'll be a 4+ late this year. GoPro has a history of announcing products one year after last release. I don't see a reason they would significantly change the format due to all the available accessories, so no, a different gimbal won't be needed.
If the next gen GoPro can save room, they are more likely to have a larger battery than shave off of the outer dimensions.
The differences between non-plus and plus are not so hugely immense to justify waiting. I still have my 3+ and use it just about the same as the 4. I would just be more likely to take the 4 when there's less light or I specifically needed one of the new features.

The 4 black is really an amazing little camera. Even compared to the 3+ black. I hope the 4+ has a 3mm rectilinear option with 20MP clarity. That and 1080p HDMI output while recording at 2.7K or higher. Right now it is only 480p. On Lightbridge, 480p still looks 100x better than using analog FPV but I want 1080p!

I plan to buy a 4 black for my 3DR Solo I have on order. I would go the lens swap route but I have to think that GoPro has to be close to releasing something for the UAV market. So going to wait it out and just go with a stock GoPro and do everything in post.

Any video editing platform can remove the fisheye in about 5 seconds. If that were the only difference between the two cameras, I'd have an Inspire and I would be waiting on a P3P right now.

Here's what else is different. GoPro is dedicated to imaging systems. They have experts who focus entirely on the algorithms that dynamically adjust compression techniques, exposure, etc. The Hero 3 and 4 were designed in consultation with the film and TV industries. Cineform, which is the codec used in Protune was designed by experts in the film industry to maximize color information in a limited bandwidth platform. It uses a special process to unpack color into 10 bit intermediates.

DJI has none of this. And it shows. The GoPro looks like a 65mb/s imaging system should. The DJI looks like 40mb/s or less using the same hardware. DJI's algorithms are a mess. They think adding excessive sharpness will make up for the compression artifacts that plague half of their shots.

Just look at Philip Bloom's video. They guy is an accomplished DP. He knows every trick in the book. Yet the video looks like crap. Pardon my français.

Now, if you can't see the difference or care, that's fine. Not everyone pixel peeps. But don't go on about how horrible fisheye is when it is the least of the issues between the two cameras.
This is reality, who can't see the hero 4 black is better than the inspire video especially in 4k needs glasses or new glasses...

This is reality, who can't see the hero 4 black is better than the inspire video especially in 4k needs glasses or new glasses...
0bdf0e456f10df927cd44870c25f740e.jpeg

I will not waste my time with you, you simply don't understand a crap about embedded systems...
I've searched high and low there's no definitive winner in your made up race, both cameras have their pros and cons. Many prefer the Inspire camera to the Gopro H4B obviously some don't (like yourself). But your statement above is not factual.

I've searched high and low there's no definitive winner in your made up race, both cameras have their pros and cons. Many prefer the Inspire camera to the Gopro H4B obviously some don't (like yourself). But your statement above is not factual.
Check previous Ian wood comment, it has everything.

I, for one, don't really care which of the GoPro, Inspire, or P3 camera is better! I have numerous SLR's and use them as appropriate for the situation, and I'll do the same with the P3, and later with my Inspire 2, or maybe GoPro on a P3.

Point is, each has good and bad points, so who cares....

Well there is another thread going on here.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...k-plus-inside-the-hood-pictures.38694/page-25
A posted raw video by a user that is not a long term DJI beta tester. He even opened up the Phantom unlike the others who were told not to.
Now look at the distortion in that picture with the car. Please explain how this is better than other cameras.
car%20stretch.jpg

Please explain how the noise (or is it compression) is better.
I have a P2 and GoPro4 black. I have issues with what I think is the gimbal, some vertical vibration, so I was ready to jump on the P3.
But those two raw videos posted are a step down in quality. If I hadn't the current set up I wouldn't think twice though.
All this reminds me when the p2V+ came out. People saying the cam was better than the GoPro3. And I'm not a GoPro fanboy. Just a fanboy of any camera that shoots good quality.

Last edited:
Any video editing platform can remove the fisheye in about 5 seconds. If that were the only difference between the two cameras, I'd have an Inspire and I would be waiting on a P3P right now.

Here's what else is different. GoPro is dedicated to imaging systems. They have experts who focus entirely on the algorithms that dynamically adjust compression techniques, exposure, etc. The Hero 3 and 4 were designed in consultation with the film and TV industries. Cineform, which is the codec used in Protune was designed by experts in the film industry to maximize color information in a limited bandwidth platform. It uses a special process to unpack color into 10 bit intermediates.

DJI has none of this. And it shows. The GoPro looks like a 65mb/s imaging system should. The DJI looks like 40mb/s or less using the same hardware. DJI's algorithms are a mess. They think adding excessive sharpness will make up for the compression artifacts that plague half of their shots.

Just look at Philip Bloom's video. They guy is an accomplished DP. He knows every trick in the book. Yet the video looks like crap. Pardon my français.

Now, if you can't see the difference or care, that's fine. Not everyone pixel peeps. But don't go on about how horrible fisheye is when it is the least of the issues between the two cameras.
Thanks for that. I've seen the artifact problem with inspire footage I've seen.
With all the hysteria around the p3, my big question is: can it take better video and stills than the gopro?
I agree, the fisheye correction is child's play in post. I use Adobe premiere.
For now, I'm keeping my p2v2, and wait for hands-on reports from the solo. Or maybe I'll just take advantage of the free trial offer from 3dr. . .

Well there is another thread going on here.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...k-plus-inside-the-hood-pictures.38694/page-25
A posted raw video by a user that is not a long term DJI beta tester. He even opened up the Phantom unlike the others who were told not to.
Now look at the distortion in that picture with the car. Please explain how this is better than other cameras.
car%20stretch.jpg

Please explain how the noise (or is it compression) is better.
I have a P2 and GoPro4 black. I have issues with what I think is the gimbal, some vertical vibration, so I was ready to jump on the P3.
But those two raw videos posted are a step down in quality. If I hadn't the current set up I wouldn't think twice though.
All this reminds me when the p2V+ came out. People saying the cam was better than the GoPro3. And I'm not a GoPro fanboy. Just a fanboy of any camera that shoots good quality.
+1 on that. I have a gopro 4 as well, and like it a lot. As with any new product release, it's in the seller's(dji) interest to create as much hysteria as possible

P3 camera is better than go pro 4 fullstop. People that are saying go pro is better are the ones that have not ordered p3! I have both cameras it doesn't bother me. I hate fisheye I don't want to do no modifications! Standard versus standard go pro is ****

Instead of slander, please try to prove your point with knowledgable facts.

P3 camera is better than go pro 4 fullstop. People that are saying go pro is better are the ones that have not ordered p3! I have both cameras it doesn't bother me. I hate fisheye I don't want to do no modifications! Standard versus standard go pro is ****
Better in what? Less frame rates, the sweet spot in that chipset (2.7k) it's not there, I don't see where it is a lot better, the non fisheye lens are a plus but they have huge distortion in the corners... For me I prefer a gopro with 5.4mm lens.

I plan to buy a 4 black for my 3DR Solo I have on order. I would go the lens swap route but I have to think that GoPro has to be close to releasing something for the UAV market. So going to wait it out and just go with a stock GoPro and do everything in post.
That sounds like a smart move. See what they come up with.

It cost a total of $140 for the lens. The disassembly, reassembly and focus of the camera took 1 1/2 hours all of which was done by myself.

As I dislike fisheye I strictly use narrow settings which limits my use 4 or 2.7K frame rates. That is why I changed the lens on my GoPro advantage of the higher quality of Ultra HD which when down-rezzed to 1080p produces very high quality HD video.

Since I'm probably communicating with someone who as very little knowledge of cameras or there usefulness I will stand by my statement. All P2 vision and P3 cameras are single use only and basicly of poor quality verses that of the GoPro 3+ bl and 4 bl cameras.

You may not like what I have say to but then I could really care less what you think.
I agree Narrow is less fishy, but then you have limited options (I also have a Hero 4 Bl).
Where did you get your lens?

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic but have zero gopro experience. Wondering if there are any must have accessories like filters I should order to go with the 4 black I just bought. This thing is dedicated to the quad so dont need accessories for other things.

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic but have zero gopro experience. Wondering if there are any must have accessories like filters I should order to go with the 4 black I just bought. This thing is dedicated to the quad so dont need accessories for other things.
I occasionally use a ND (neutral density filter) with mine which results in smoother aerial video:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWHH1MS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I always (when I'm not using the ND filter) use the protective filter that comes in this set:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F19Q3S8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hope that's helpful.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Better in what? Less frame rates, the sweet spot in that chipset (2.7k) it's not there, I don't see where it is a lot better, the non fisheye lens are a plus but they have huge distortion in the corners... For me I prefer a gopro with 5.4mm lens.

Better appture and the shutter speed!!! Put your go pro in the bin. Don't come up with BS facts. P3 camera is basically sony components.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing