Phantom 3 Advanced Lightbridge not the same as Pro

Hmm guesswork as facts ....Lets see I installed the R/C update and saw there is an increase in the H/D transmission rate now..... Fact
Back up my statement......Like I said Im not gonna spoon feed you check your own goapp
Ignorance...hmmm must be bliss living in your world as you define the definition of the word.
:)
LOL, fantastic.
TIL: Asking for the source of information = spoon feed :rolleyes:
Ridiculous.

LOL, fantastic.
TIL: Asking for the source of information = spoon feed :rolleyes:
Ridiculous.
My thought exactly ridiculous you still haven't gone into the H/D settings and seen the transmission rate has been increased.

This is nothing new the bitrate specs on both models was published since day 1. I guess people just want to blame dji instead of accepting personal responsibility for not understanding all the differences between the two models. Next time pay attention and not try to blame someone else for your mistake. But this is OLD news !! You should be thankful the dji is trying to increase the bitrate on the advance model. Plus they already increased the resolution to 2.7 k on the last firmware update. What more do you want from DJI ?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the P3A will accept the P3P camera and gimble? This would be a cheaper solution than replacing the entire Phantom.

Something not mentioned is that the lower bitrate gives you increased range. A small consolation. :D

As I said, I can only guess that the processor on the Advanced is not capable of the same multitasking that the processor on the Pro is capable of.

I thought that I had read that the same degradation occurred at a lessor extent on the Pro when in Still mode vs. video mode. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Guys the P3A and P3P has same camera system design and same SOC from Ambarella. The P3A just lacks a Texas Instrument digital signal processor (DSP) that is dedicated on the P3P just to the stream for live video. On the P3A, the SOC make both streams, so it happens that P3A need more compression for keep sync with downlink video and SD write. If you look in the firmware detailed log, you can see that P3P has a section numbered [08 00]: this is TI DSP firmware; It's not present on the P3A firmware.

Guys the P3A and P3P has same camera system design and same SOC from Ambarella. The P3A just lacks a Texas Instrument digital signal processor (DSP) that is dedicated on the P3P just to the stream for live video. On the P3A, the SOC make both streams, so it happens that P3A need more compression for keep sync with downlink video and SD write. If you look in the firmware detailed log, you can see that P3P has a section numbered [08 00]: this is TI DSP firmware; It's not present on the P3A firmware.
Yep....that's what the folks who keep quoting resolution don't understand. Bit-rate and resolution are two entirely separate things. Doesn't matter if the A is now 2.7K if the live stream is hardware locked to 2mbps. No software toggle can overcome that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You mean the TI DaVinci chip?

That is exactly what I thought, but didn't know the details. Thank you. I will quote you from now on when someone wants to know if / why the P3A's live stream is more compressed than the Pro.

You mean the TI DaVinci chip?

Yes, It is ... TI DaVinci is a midrange DSP processor, it gets input "native" stream from Ambarella and crunches it for tx circuitry .. The things are not so easy, anyway this is the concept.

That is exactly what I thought, but didn't know the details. Thank you. I will quote you from now on when someone wants to know if / why the P3A's live stream is more compressed than the Pro.

I want to clarify that all the magic is far to be clear.
Note that in a real word applications, there are lot of issue to consider, some rule of thumb:
  • More tx bandwidth -> more information tx -> better image tx.
  • More resolution -> more bandwidth
  • More distance -> less bandwidth.
  • Less bandwidth -> less resolution -> more compression loss at same resolution
For an engineer this is a damned crap situation, every time an application like this need to be realized. What is the best breakeven point ?

Yes, It is ... TI DaVinci is a midrange DSP processor, it gets input "native" stream from Ambarella and crunches it for tx circuitry .. The things are not so easy, anyway this is the concept.

Note that in a real word applications, there are lot of issue to consider, some rule of thumb:
For an engineer this is a damned crap situation, every time an application like this need to be realized. What is the best breakeven point ?

Does the Pro and Advanced have the exact same Tx & Rx hardware? Or is the pro capable of more?

Does the Pro and Advanced have the exact same Tx & Rx hardware? Or is the pro capable of more?
Should be the same. The gimbal hardware is what's different and depending on that is what gets sent to the tx to broadcast

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

As an interesting side note...

Internal Photos - Internal Photos FCC ID: SS3-IG8101508 Microsoft Word - Internal photos.docx

Has some pretty decent internal shots of the "Lightbridge 2" discreet Lightbridge module.

And for once, the important chips (mostly) aren't covered with a bunch of black gunk.

Of note are:

- 1x DM385AAAR01 aka TI "DaVinci" DSP
- 2x MT41K128M16JT-125 IT:K aka Micron DDR3 SDRAM 2 Gb (256 MB) RAM
- 1x MT29F1G16ABBEAH4:E aka Micron 1Gb (128 MB) SLC NAND
- 1x ADV7610 aka Analog Devices Low Power, 165 MHz HDMI Receiver
- 1x AD9363BBCZ aka Analog Devices RF Agile Transceiver w/ FDD/TDD 2x2 (unable to find exact datasheet)
- 1x LPC1549J aka NXP 32-bit ARM Cortex-M3 microcontroller (unable to find exact datasheet)
- 1x ALTERA Cyclone V FPGA (unable to read model number)

There are a few other ancillary chips, probably RF related, but I believe the above chips are the "heart" of the Lightbridge2 setup.

Obviously the Cyclone is the "brains" of the operation, in concert with the TI DSP.

As the Cyclone is a FPGA, also means DJI can tweak quite a bit with only software updates.

I know the P3 also has the Cyclone at the core of it's "Lightbridge", and apparently the P3P has the DaVinci as well.

Infer what you will...

As an interesting side note...

Internal Photos - Internal Photos FCC ID: SS3-IG8101508 Microsoft Word - Internal photos.docx

Has some pretty decent internal shots of the "Lightbridge 2" discreet Lightbridge module.

And for once, the important chips (mostly) aren't covered with a bunch of black gunk.

Of note are:

- 1x DM385AAAR01 aka TI "DaVinci" DSP
- 2x MT41K128M16JT-125 IT:K aka Micron DDR3 SDRAM 2 Gb (256 MB) RAM
- 1x MT29F1G16ABBEAH4:E aka Micron 1Gb (128 MB) SLC NAND
- 1x ADV7610 aka Analog Devices Low Power, 165 MHz HDMI Receiver
- 1x AD9363BBCZ aka Analog Devices RF Agile Transceiver w/ FDD/TDD 2x2 (unable to find exact datasheet)
- 1x LPC1549J aka NXP 32-bit ARM Cortex-M3 microcontroller (unable to find exact datasheet)
- 1x ALTERA Cyclone V FPGA (unable to read model number)

There are a few other ancillary chips, probably RF related, but I believe the above chips are the "heart" of the Lightbridge2 setup.

Obviously the Cyclone is the "brains" of the operation, in concert with the TI DSP.

As the Cyclone is a FPGA, also means DJI can tweak quite a bit with only software updates.

I know the P3 also has the Cyclone at the core of it's "Lightbridge", and apparently the P3P has the DaVinci as well.

Infer what you will...

Oh interesting finding...
... In fact, you find a high level FPGA-SOC like Altera Cyclone V in the P3 RC. On the other hand, Ambarella is "simply" a customized Xilinx ZINQ 7xxx.

Screenshots I made of the DJI Go App version 2.40 on a P3P.
If you select custom you can change the Image Transmission Quality with various ranges.
I then cached video at the different settings. You don't need to fly the Phantom, just connect as if you were about to fly and start recording a video (no need to start motors). It will then save the cached live view in your tablet.
At 4Mbps the cached video is approx 1441 Kbps
6Mbps its approx 2140Kbps
8Mbps its approx 3000Kbps
10Mbps its approx 5000Kbps
Results are consistent at a range of 1meter. Using VLC and MediaInfo to view the Kbps.
Then there is Auto - Haven't checked the cache yet but I can imagine that not only is there channel hopping but the image transmission quality will vary with signal strength.
I would say thats best breakeven point. Will test that in a real flight.

SCREENSHOT.JPG

Would be interesting for others to test and compare differences - especially with the P3A

Since it appears to only effect the hdmi out stream and not the lightning cable video feed to phone/ tablet has anyone tried the fpv camera / fpv goggles app that uses your iPhone as a fpv monitor? https://www.facebook.com/notes/f ... -i1/591886014247542
I might just try it as a low cost fpv solution but haven't heard much about it and don't want to waste 60-70 on something that is crap. Has anyone tried it and any pros and cons? Is it usable and worth the money?

Reactions: Numone
Since it appears to only effect the hdmi out stream and not the lightning cable video feed to phone/ tablet has anyone tried the fpv camera / fpv goggles app that uses your iPhone as a fpv monitor? https://www.facebook.com/notes/f ... -i1/591886014247542
I might just try it as a low cost fpv solution but haven't heard much about it and don't want to waste 60-70 on something that is crap. Has anyone tried it and any pros and cons? Is it usable and worth the money?
I have tried this using the Litchi app which has a goggles feature built in with a touch button right above the camera operation. I used the goggles from Amazon, "Sunnypeak."

The problem with using goggles is it's difficult to "tap" on the screen but this particular brand uses a slide out tray to hold the phone but you still have to take the goggle off. This model also has adjustments for pupil distance (small vs. large heads) and focal length which many don't have and fits all phablets including the Note 4 and iPhone 6+.

I'm still not convinced on using VR goggles for flying the P3 manually though. You have to get used to seeing like that and for some it isn't easy. Aside from being somewhat uncomfortable it makes it difficult to point the antennas at the aircraft especially if you are using something like a Windsurfer directional accessory. But if using the autonomous mode it's great to just watch the camera view as the P3 completes the mission.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers