Phantom 3 Advanced Lightbridge not the same as Pro

Are the batteries for the pro and advanced the same? Can I use a pro charger on an advanced battery and vice versa?

Are the batteries for the pro and advanced the same? Can I use a pro charger on an advanced battery and vice versa?

Yes, batteries are the same and interchangeable. Same for charger, but Advanced charger is slower than Pro charger (57W and 100W)

Dear all,

My first post... I hope I've not hijacking this thread, but I believe that my question is pertinent to the discussion (I've also searched other threads). There's a lot of great info here and I've learned an amazing amount about responsible flying, without even having yet purchased one.

I'm an experienced photographer, but definitely a complete Phantom newbie. After a month or so of scouring these boards and youtube reviews, I had pretty much decided to purchase a P3A. I could live with 2.7k and slower battery charger, especially if it meant getting a couple of extra batteries for the price difference.

However... with the revelation that there is also this transmission live HD data rate difference, I may just get the P3P. I am not interested in Headplay goggles, HDMI out, etc, but I would like for the Live video to simply look "good" on an iPhone 6 Plus (or eventually an iPad mini). Would this be the case with the P3A, or would I be disappointed in what I see ? I would hate to have a live view full of artifacts...

In other words, how big of an iDevice would one need in order to see the distracting compression that is being discussed here ?

Unfortunately, nobody I know has one of these birds so I can't really test for myself.

Thanks 1000x for any input/advice.

-Ted

Dear all,

My first post... I hope I've not hijacking this thread, but I believe that my question is pertinent to the discussion (I've also searched other threads). There's a lot of great info here and I've learned an amazing amount about responsible flying, without even having yet purchased one.

I'm an experienced photographer, but definitely a complete Phantom newbie. After a month or so of scouring these boards and youtube reviews, I had pretty much decided to purchase a P3A. I could live with 2.7k and slower battery charger, especially if it meant getting a couple of extra batteries for the price difference.

However... with the revelation that there is also this transmission live HD data rate difference, I may just get the P3P. I am not interested in Headplay goggles, HDMI out, etc, but I would like for the Live video to simply look "good" on an iPhone 6 Plus (or eventually an iPad mini). Would this be the case with the P3A, or would I be disappointed in what I see ? I would hate to have a live view full of artifacts...

In other words, how big of an iDevice would one need in order to see the distracting compression that is being discussed here ?

Unfortunately, nobody I know has one of these birds so I can't really test for myself.

-Ted
I have had both the p3a and the p3p. Im using a ipad air for both. I can tell you there is a difference in the on screen video. The p3p looks better by far. But if you travel long distances it changes the bitrate so you can go farther. Less bandwidth. So if you fly far out they are about the same. If you fly close or in sight of it you will notice a big difference. Jmo

I have had both the p3a and the p3p. Im using a ipad air for both. I can tell you there is a difference in the on screen video. The p3p looks better by far. But if you travel long distances it changes the bitrate so you can go farther. Less bandwidth. So if you fly far out they are about the same. If you fly close or in sight of it you will notice a big difference. Jmo

Many thanks for the quick and helpful reply.
I don't plan on going too far and LoS is a legal requirement to fly here in Switzerland. But I'm curious... how far would you estimate you would have to go before the screen video between two models are of the same quality, on your iPad Air?

Im not sure. I myself only have flown out far enough for the signal to degrade but it was almost out of sight. It all depends on your area. I was in an area with alot of trees but i was up around 200 feet.

It would take a larger screen like the ipad to notice the difference or grainy more so.

The iphone 6 screen since its smaller than the ipad is hardly noticable but like anything else when you only have so much to work with theb you stretch it to a bigger screen it makes it look worse.

I wish i had a conparasion video of the two but i dont.

Reactions: byrne68
Dear all,

-Ted
On a smaller screen, it's not a big deal really, IMHO. On an Air or Air 2, yes it's a noticeable difference. I notice it much more now than I did when using a Mini 2, but after a while I didn't really mind anymore. Small screen users normally insist there is no difference at all. That's not really true, but great of course that it seems fine for them.

Also, there have been cached video comparisons posted. Here is one example:
Blurry Pixelation in outdoor settings with Phantom 3 Advanced - Page 9 - RC Groups

Last edited:
Thanks brad/oso for the replies. Very helpful link too. I watched both vids full-screen on the iPhone 6Plus and the difference in quality is evident. Leaning towards the P3P... just wish it also had a 2.7 K mode too - the video sweet spot for me - strange that it doesn't really.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks brad/oso for the replies. Very helpful link too. I watched both vids full-screen on the iPhone 6Plus and the difference in quality is evident. Leaning towards the P3P... just wish it also had a 2.7 K mode too - the video sweet spot for me - strange that it doesn't really.

I have the P3P and I think it does have 2.7 K...I've never used it but I'm pretty sure I seen it while looking through some camera settings in the past.

OK. I'm just going by the "compare" page specs at DJI... the 2.7k on the P3P is specifically omitted. If anyone could confirm either way it would be great. Getting off-topic now, sorry...
And thanks again for for the input regarding the live view transmission quality.

OK. I'm just going by the "compare" page specs at DJI... the 2.7k on the P3P is specifically omitted. If anyone could confirm either way it would be great. Getting off-topic now, sorry...
And thanks again for for the input regarding the live view transmission quality.

The P3P had 2.7k added in November. It was available with the Android app initially but has since been added to the iOS app.
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Professional_Release_Note_en_11.25.pdf

Why do you need a high quality live feed? If you're a serious photographer you might actually find the camera on either the weaker link in terms of the all inclusive picture quality adjustments you have on your higher end cameras. What the camera records is actually far more important than your live feed. I use a P3A with an air2 and although I admit I can't compare the live feed to the P3P, to my eyes it's excellent. Perfectly acceptable for monitoring during flight. In fact it's quite remarkable. What you'll need to have showing at all times is the histogram because no matter what the live feed is showing, the histogram is the only thing you have to really know what your exposure is doing. If you're flying to take stills it's easier to expose for a great shot. Flying for video can be a bit trickier. There really isn't much beyond iso/shutter speed to adjust for exposure. Point being, don't get hung up on the live feed quality if it's just for monitoring and framing the shots.

Reactions: WetDog and byrne68
A friend of mine has a Pro, and he has it set on 4mb/sec (lowest setting on a Pro) . The reason for this is that he has found that he gets much better range with fluid video at that setting. He had found that the bit rate does NOT change dynamically dependent on how far you are away. I've got an Advance and we are both running with 8" tablets (perfect size imo) and I can tell you with confidence that even though the Advance runs at 2 mb/sec the difference in quality is negligible. What's most important is the quality of the recorded feed and in that respect it depends whether you absolutely must have 4K, or you can live with 2.7k/1080p. Personally I am 100% happy with the feed on my Advanced - it's bright, clear and fluid which is all you really want with a live feed, rather than extreme fidelity.

Great points, both of you. True, I'm much, much more interested in bringing home quality images/video on the SD card. But when I read here how some P3A owners felt a bit disappointed about this spec I figured I'd simply ask you guys for the straight dope. I'd would have hated to buy a P3A and then be disappointed about this point. @Wacker2611 : your input is particularly encouraging, cheers.

Reactions: Wacker2611
A friend of mine has a Pro, and he has it set on 4mb/sec (lowest setting on a Pro) . The reason for this is that he has found that he gets much better range with fluid video at that setting. He had found that the bit rate does NOT change dynamically dependent on how far you are away. I've got an Advance and we are both running with 8" tablets (perfect size imo) and I can tell you with confidence that even though the Advance runs at 2 mb/sec the difference in quality is negligible. What's most important is the quality of the recorded feed and in that respect it depends whether you absolutely must have 4K, or you can live with 2.7k/1080p. Personally I am 100% happy with the feed on my Advanced - it's bright, clear and fluid which is all you really want with a live feed, rather than extreme fidelity.
The Pro can't do 2 Mbps. Does that mean the Advanced can fly further out before the signal drops?

Reactions: rene van der meer
well i was messing with the litchi app last night and using my google cardboard for FPV and i noticed that you can change the transmission from 2mpbs to 10 mbps wouldnt that fix the problem right there.

well i was messing with the litchi app last night and using my google cardboard for FPV and i noticed that you can change the transmission from 2mpbs to 10 mbps wouldnt that fix the problem right there.
The P3A has a max of 2Mbps no matter what setting is used. Thats per DJI spec and the users who have tested their cached videos.

As noted, not that big of a deal (IMHO) other than for those who want to use goggles or show their live or cached FPV on a big screen like a TV.

Last edited:
Is the 2Mbps only through the HDMi port or is it the video we see in the DJI GO app coming from the lightening cable?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl