Phantom 2 Vision WIFI mods

Re: Phantom 2 Vision WIFI

thanks for the writeup. Did you have any luck with the yagi?

also docooler was reported to Amazon for selling fake/copy AP's. The ones are not as described and use the older boards from the 1210 series that the center antenna is dead. the 1211 board is the good one.

The copy guys got wise and started printing 1211 on some of the base plates so you may have to physically take it apart to see. There is a 500mW difference. You access the firmware of the copy with a 192 addy and the real 1500mW ip starts with 10. also the real one will have the name aisha on the board. Fake uses a realtek chipset and the realone uses ralink.

I had the copy and returned it ASAP. Docooler quit selling the black units on AMazon, I think he still sells white ones which are all fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etB2aCkqU94&index=5&list=PLI6aUvDU8H8rCJx_QBYswp-wGpKq9dPBX

Highcloud said:
This is my test rig – looks rough but as I say it is for testing various set ups. During my lengthy testing I have discovered that the Docooler repeater is more powerful than the DJI stock unit BUT is much noisier. Using the stock repeater I was able to obtain greater distances when connected to the right antennas, than when connected to the Docooler. So lesson 1, always use the stock repeater. I tested antennas one at a time to establish the greatest range. The Netgear 18dbi patch panel was by far the best. I used a RHCP SPW24 Skew Planar Circular Wireless antenna on the PV. The most important lesson learned so far is about MIMO and the fact that we are using a digital streaming wifi connection. To obtain distance you will need 2 antennas on the repeater NOT 1. You will also need 2 antennas on the PV (I’m waiting for my second SPW24 to arrive). The reason that you want 4 antennas in total is due to Multiple In Multiple Out, i.e. each antenna talks to 2 other antennas, hence doubling the bandwidth, which will directly increase range. I have proved this. Previously running with one SPW24 on the PV and one antenna on the repeater the best range that I managed was 1.7 Km before losing the video When I added the second antenna to the repeater (I used Netgear patch and RHCP Circular Wireless Helical, just because I did not have 2 linear patch panels available) I got to 2.64 KM with full video. I turned back only due to wind and battery level. I have ordered a second 18 dbi Netgear patch and plan to run these as the two antennas connected to the stock DJI repeater. Adding a second Skew Planar to the PV will give extra bandwidth again and increase range and reliability, but at 2.64 KM (8660 ft) at 100M altitude I am convinced about the MIMO effect.

What we may all be missing is the fact that MIMO thrives on any signal, so a linear high gain panel could well be the ideal choice, multipath rejection is not important to MIMO – it figures it out itself. Where we almost all have failed to date is to connect just one patch panel to the repeater. Connect two and your range will grow significantly. Also worth bearing in mind for all the antenna developers, as this is not a typical analogue set up as used historically with FPV.

Hope this helps everyone. Will let you know when I send my application in for the 4 KM club

Sorry for the DP, but for those watching this thread:
Well you have some good info but not perfect.
Over the past decade, MIMO has revolutionized the communications industry. The benefits you state are in fact benefits of MIMO and will help in our situation, but (everything else being equal) are not likely to produce more than 30% improvement in our particular situation. MIMO is happy with multipath, so it is true that will reduce one of the typical limitations of linear antennas, but that is not the only issue, or in my opinion even the most important (orientation.) Most regular FPV suffers from multipath because of video quality / anomalies, in wifi (even without MIMO) multipath is not nearly as troubling (perhaps a lost packet here and there.) The real advantage is simply more antenna. whether it's a bigger single antenna or multiple smaller antenna, the more RF collecting material you have the more RF (signal) you will be able to collect. In the stock setup, the micropatch antennas being used were so small that using two made a significant difference. But stepping up to the size antennas you are using, you are not really gaining much benefit from MIMO. Most of the benefit is from the additional antenna material. The place MIMO (or even other diversity configuration) might help more than anything else is beamwidth (antenna aim / orientation).
Without getting into too much more (I'm not at all trying to squelch your findings, in fact I am impressed with your testing and reasoning) let me ask this. Only using one SPW24 and one Heliaxial24 with the stock camera and repeater (the same setup you used to go 1.7km) I achieved 3.2km.
One piece of advice I would give while you continue your testing, the antennas you are using (12dBi to 18dBi) are VERY sensitive to aiming at long range. You can not simply use their beamwidth specs as the lobe taper is fairly significant. One of the shortcomings of our WIFI system vs analog is what it takes to reacquire the connection when it becomes unstable. For an analog system you just readjust the antenna until the static gets better, wifi is a bit more complicated. For apples to apples testing, you should pick a common testing location and common time of day with common wind conditions. Plot a route on Google maps and setup your antennas consistent with your intended travel path. Then fly that path at the same altitude and following the route via FPV. Flying outside the path, even for a short time, could result in an unfair antenna test.

Okay, I said more than I intended to, bottom line is that the real advantage to the MIMO setup is being able to use more antenna material. Ex: two smaller antennas vs one larger, or two larger antennas to try and compensate for the small stock antennas (or the single SP) on the P2V. It is nice to have options. Keep up the good work.

Skipholiday said:

also docooler was reported to Amazon for selling fake/copy AP's. The ones are not as described and use the older boards from the 1210 series that the center antenna is dead. the 1211 board is the good one.

The copy guys got wise and started printing 1211 on some of the base plates so you may have to physically take it apart to see. There is a 500mW difference. You access the firmware of the copy with a 192 addy and the real 1500mW ip starts with 10. also the real one will have the name aisha on the board. Fake uses a realtek chipset and the realone uses ralink.

I had the copy and returned it ASAP. Docooler quit selling the black units on AMazon, I think he still sells white ones which are all fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etB2aCkqU94&index=5&list=PLI6aUvDU8H8rCJx_QBYswp-wGpKq9dPBX

The yagi was a bit too sensitive in terms of direction, whereas the netgear at -3dbi still gives azimuth of 60 degrees and elevation if 30 degrees

cool.. thank you.. eVentually we will all have setups reaching 10km :)
Highcloud said:
Skipholiday said:

The yagi was a bit too sensitive in terms of direction, whereas the netgear at -3dbi still gives azimuth of 60 degrees and elevation if 30 degrees

Here is what I am trying. Im new to antennas, so dont know if this will work.

If you hit something, its likely that you will rip a cable, which means opening something back up. So, mounted a jack on the camera, and ran a heavy duty cable to a mount I designed on my laser cutter. The mount lets you glue in an antenna holder wherever you want, large or small.

Now that I see that TheMostToys has an amp, I will redesign this to hold that exact amp.

My 2 concers about this setup are:

-The large cloverleaf on the left side of the mount is to the camera. I plugged it into the right side camera jack, when looking down on the phantom and in the direction the camera looks. Does it matter which one is used? Is 2 better?

-The clover leaf on the right is for the phamtoms receiver board. It has 2 antennas. I put the connector on the antenna leg that goes to the rear of the phantom, and mounted this to the body. Did I use the correct antenna from the receiver?

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 479
  • a2.JPG
    a2.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 563

bonedoc said:

If you hit something, its likely that you will rip a cable, which means opening something back up. So, mounted a jack on the camera, and ran a heavy duty cable to a mount I designed on my laser cutter. The mount lets you glue in an antenna holder wherever you want, large or small.

Now that I see that TheMostToys has an amp, I will redesign this to hold that exact amp.

-The large cloverleaf on the left side of the mount is to the camera. I plugged it into the right side camera jack, when looking down on the phantom and in the direction the camera looks. Does it matter which one is used? Is 2 better?

-The clover leaf on the right is for the phamtoms receiver board. It has 2 antennas. I put the connector on the antenna leg that goes to the rear of the phantom, and mounted this to the body. Did I use the correct antenna from the receiver?
Sweet looking antenna mount. good job

bonedoc said:

VERY nice work on the antenna mount.

While 2 is better than one, it will not make a world of range difference (perhaps 30%). Where it will make a difference is that if you don't extend the antenna to below the camera, the camera will block the signal when it is between you and the antenna (aka, in your case, while flying towards yourself.) BTW, if you are going to amplify and if you use two antennas, amplify both (in other words, you will need two amps.) In my case, I just dropped the antenna below the landing gear and went with one antenna. Another option is to keep the setup you have and amplify the one antenna, that might give you all the range (even with the camera in the way) you need. Only other observation is that it looks like you are using a three lobe (cloverleaf). I'd suggest going to a four or five lobe Skew Planar, Pinwheel, Fan. Three lobe is great for TX but not as good for RX, also remember that essentially the best signal will be when one of the lobes is actually pointing at you, so with fewer lobes you will have less reliable signal. The reason FPVers did the three lobe cloverleaf (IBCrazy) was because fewer lobes equals less drag, in our case, drag is not an issue.

On the RX, your setup should be fine, for best results change your TX to CP as well (I'd go with something directional like a helical).

Good luck and happy flying

Thanks for the response!

2 Questions:

-At this time, I have the 5.8ghz ibcrazy on my controller and attached one to the phantom receiver board. Was this a mistake? It looks like you have a stock TX and RX antennas on the controller and phantom.

-You have the 4 lobe on the camera. I guess I assumed the camera needed the 3 lobe to transmit the video back. I guess I am wrong? I do have the 4 lobe ibcrazy, so I will put it on. With that said, would the 3 lobe ibrazy be better or worse than the HELIAXIAL24?

Thanks!

bonedoc said:
Thanks for the response!

2 Questions:

-At this time, I have the 5.8ghz ibcrazy on my controller and attached one to the phantom receiver board. Was this a mistake? It looks like you have a stock TX and RX antennas on the controller and phantom. Not a mistake, just probably not much gain over stock. I changed my TX antenna for an 11 dBi patch, this single change increased control range from 1.1 miles to 2.4 miles. If you run out of control range, just change your TX antenna to a helical (the 5.8 helicals are nice and small).

-You have the 4 lobe on the camera. I guess I assumed the camera needed the 3 lobe to transmit the video back. I guess I am wrong? I do have the 4 lobe ibcrazy, so I will put it on. With that said, would the 3 lobe ibrazy be better or worse than the HELIAXIAL24? WIFI is bidirectional (TX & RX on both sides). The HELIAXIAL24 is an 11dBi directional antenna, it will dramatically outperform the cloverleaf, the only draw back is the size and the fact that you must point it in the direction of the P2V.

Thanks!

I see. So, If I have this situation:

-the clover leaf on the phantom camera is 9.5dbi
-On the wifi extender, a 12dbi helical OR 10dbi clover

Does it really matter if I have one of the higher rated antennas on the extender since the camera antenna is rated lower?

I didnt know if it was like recording a cassette to a CD ;-)

I will buy the helical antenna for the wifi extender, if it will improve my range over the 3 lobe ibcrazy.

I will also change my bracket design tomarrow so the camera antenna is just off the ground.

bonedoc said:
I see. So, If I have this situation:

-the clover leaf on the phantom camera is 9.5dbi
-On the wifi extender, a 12dbi helical OR 10dbi clover

Does it really matter if I have one of the higher rated antennas on the extender since the camera antenna is rated lower?

I didnt know if it was like recording a cassette to a CD ;-)

I will buy the helical antenna for the wifi extender, if it will improve my range over the 3 lobe ibcrazy.

I will also change my bracket design tomarrow so the camera antenna is just off the ground.

9.5dBi cloverleaf? Are you sure? Most cloverleaf are closer to 1.2dBi.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

bonedoc said:
Sorry, maybe I misread it. I have these:

http://www.getfpv.com/ibcrazy-2-4ghz-bl ... a-set.html

What I was wondering is:

Would I have more range if I used the 4 lobe on the camera, with the 3 lobe on the extender or a 11dBic helix? 11dBic helix.

If the clover on the camera was indeed 1.5, then wouldnt it be the weakest link? Still better than the stock antenna. Gain is not "better" it is more like "focus" the problem with using a high gain antenna on the P2V is the challenge of aiming it.

Attachments

• ABSCoverage.gif
    ABSCoverage.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 790

Ok. Got it! Last 2 questions. Can you tell me what brand/model of patch antenna you use on your controller? Will this work with the ibcrazy mad mushroom (5 lobe clover leaf)?

bonedoc said:
Ok. Got it! Last 2 questions. Can you tell me what brand/model of patch antenna you use on your controller? Will this work with the ibcrazy mad mushroom (5 lobe clover leaf)?

I use some cheap patch antenna I had lying around. I'll see if I can find a link to a similar one. It will work with the IBCrazy antenna but there will be a 3dBi loss. Your best bet (simple) would be to either go with the same antenna you have on the P2V or for more range go with a 5.8ghz helical. BTW, there are also CP patch antennas, but they are less common.

Thanks! I just ordered the black cannon for the helical.

You said the phantom was MIMO. If the phantom has the mad mushroom on one leg and the stock wire antenna on the other, what happens in the case of using the patch on the controller? Will the phantom choose the wire antenna because it doesnt have the 3db loss?

bonedoc said:
Thanks! I just ordered the black cannon for the helical.

You said the phantom was MIMO. If the phantom has the mad mushroom on one leg and the stock wire antenna on the other, what happens in the case of using the patch on the controller? Will the phantom choose the wire antenna because it doesnt have the 3db loss?

The wifi is MIMO, not the control. The control RX is likely standard simple diversity (switching or combining).

Ok, here is the new mount, with your recommendations to making the antennas as low as possible. You can set your height and superglue them on there. They are just strong enough that they will probably break before the antenna does, in case of an accident.

I am getting ready to also make a name tag to stick on there too....in case it gets lost.

I did a test flight today and everything seems ok on the control end. I ordered a helix for the video. Will test that this week! When it gets here, I am going to try to make a mount for it and the extender with my laser cutter.

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 982
  • a2.JPG
    a2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 991

Looks really nice, but no good for me as it will not fit in my flight case.

This is how I have the 5.2Ghz antenna.

IMAG1299.jpg

IMAG1300.jpg

Note: I needed to grind a little bit from the Fatsharks antenna plug as it did not go in all the way.

I'm at the moment working on a 2.4Ghz camera part. (that's why it is missing on the pictures.)

As I'm also using a gimbal, the antenna coax coming from the camera needs to be as thin as possible so it will not effect the balance and movements for the gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing