Phantom 2 Vision WIFI mods

Reaction score
This thread should be specific to making improvements to the P2V camera WIFI.

There are pictures of the inside of the P2V camera / WIFI system. I'll dig up the links and update this post.

Here are a few of my own pictures (max 3 per post allowed):

Attachments

• P2VCam3.JPG
    P2VCam3.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 5,102
  • P2VCam5.JPG
    P2VCam5.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 5,500
Re: Phantom 2 Vision WIFI

More pics:

Attachments

• P2VCam1.JPG
    P2VCam1.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 4,714
  • P2VCam2.JPG
    P2VCam2.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 4,504
  • P2VCam4.JPG
    P2VCam4.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 4,499

Now that we know what all that looks like, here are some external mods.

5dbi whip:

Attachments

• 20140124_201407.jpg
    20140124_201407.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 4,606
  • 20140124_201431.jpg
    20140124_201431.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 4,400

800mw amplifier with 2.3dbi Skew Planar:

Attachments

• P2VAmp2.JPG
    P2VAmp2.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 4,533
  • P2VAmp1.JPG
    P2VAmp1.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 4,448
  • P2VAmp3.JPG
    P2VAmp3.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 6,948

How are you powering the amplifier? Have you noticed a big improvement from using the amplifier. I think I may have to do this. Too much wifi traffic in my area. At best, I am only getting about 250m and that's witht he tp link 8dbi Omni antenna.

Meant to say -- is that a homebrew skew planar or a bought in one? If the latter be interested to know where from, as some are rather better than others so a good one is good to know!!

themosttoys said:

I know from your previous posts in the "More Powerful Repeater" thread that you got fantastic results using a 5dbi omnidirectional whip. Are you getting significantly better results using the amplifier and skew planar? Also, how are you powering the amplifier?

semaj said:
What are your WiFi distances?

Just landed from testing. Went a little over 2 miles using the Circular Wireless Skew Planar and Helical. Did not use the amplifier, stopped for 2 reasons, the control signal was unstable (kept dropping) and it started to drizzle.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

helixaviator said:
How are you powering the amplifier? Have you noticed a big improvement from using the amplifier. I think I may have to do this. Too much wifi traffic in my area. At best, I am only getting about 250m and that's witht he tp link 8dbi Omni antenna.

7.4v 1000mah battery through a tiny BEC (to drop it to 6v).

I've not done a lot of testing with the amp yet. Still base lining antennas. All I know is that it works, I can't yet quantify how much better.

gpauk said:
Meant to say -- is that a homebrew skew planar or a bought in one? If the latter be interested to know where from, as some are rather better than others so a good one is good to know!!

They are Circular Wireless, the SP is SPW24. Excellent antennas.

storm_333 said:
themosttoys said:

I know from your previous posts in the "More Powerful Repeater" thread that you got fantastic results using a 5dbi omnidirectional whip. Are you getting significantly better results using the amplifier and skew planar? Also, how are you powering the amplifier?

Yes, the SP (in combination with the helical) is far out performing the linear antennas. Under perfect conditions, they are pretty close. But today it was very windy and the linears were unstable because the PV2 kept tilting hard into the wind. That tilt had much less effect on the SP.

themosttoys said:
storm_333 said:
themosttoys said:

Yes, the SP (in combination with the helical) is far out performing the linear antennas. Under perfect conditions, they are pretty close. But today it was very windy and the linears were unstable because the PV2 kept tilting hard into the wind. That tilt had much less effect on the SP.

just wanna say excelento post themosttoy, i will be putting a lot of atention on it, because this is my next mod.

themosttoys said:
gpauk said:

They are Circular Wireless, the SP is SPW24. Excellent antennas.

Great -- thanks!

Have you test the spw antenna on camera without amplifier over the 5dbi omni? Can you show us your repeater setup? Do you need matching spw antenna for the wifi repeater? Sorry for many questions here. I have also done a lot of test recently Starting of repeater with 5dbi,8dbi omni and 9dbi directional. Come up 8dbi omni and 9dbi directional are the best about 900m with stock camera antenna. And now Just got a 2w booster for the 9dbi directional but not tested yet. But will post with the result if someone interested. Yesterday i did the mod like you to the camera antenna with 5dbi. And with my repeater setup I found there was 10 to 20% drop in distance. Btw I have connected it into the right place in the the camera not on the side of it. I know you have found it gain but I am just wonder if you did it with same repeater setup or maybe your setup is different?

themosttoys, Been intrigued by your posts for the past month. However, you've outdone yourself with this new thread and pic's. I'm sure many here share my gratitude for your innovative thoughts, implementations, and sharing. Looking forward to see how this thread progresses. As other have already posted, I too can't wait for details. The pictures show a lot going on, and raise many questions.

leekawey said:
Have you test the spw antenna on camera without amplifier over the 5dbi omni? Can you show us your repeater setup? Do you need matching spw antenna for the wifi repeater? Sorry for many questions here. I have also done a lot of test recently Starting of repeater with 5dbi,8dbi omni and 9dbi directional. Come up 8dbi omni and 9dbi directional are the best about 900m with stock camera antenna. And now Just got a 2w booster for the 9dbi directional but not tested yet. But will post with the result if someone interested. Yesterday i did the mod like you to the camera antenna with 5dbi. And with my repeater setup I found there was 10 to 20% drop in distance. Btw I have connected it into the right place in the the camera not on the side of it. I know you have found it gain but I am just wonder if you did it with same repeater setup or maybe your setup is different?

Yes, my earlier post (2 miles distance at 150 feet altitude) was using the SPW24 and HELIAXIAL24 with the stock camera and stock repeater, no external amplification.

Full disclosure, the test was done with full line of site across farm land with a 15+mph cross wind.

Attachments

• Clip0001.jpg
    Clip0001.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 814

mem_ny said:
themosttoys, Been intrigued by your posts for the past month. However, you've outdone yourself with this new thread and pic's. I'm sure many here share my gratitude for your innovative thoughts, implementations, and sharing. Looking forward to see how this thread progresses. As other have already posted, I too can't wait for details. The pictures show a lot going on, and raise many questions.

Thank you for the kind words.

I do wish I could make faster progress. But lots going on right now and unpredictable weather slowing me down.

Cheers,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic