Phantom 2 Vision WIFI mods

Re: Phantom 2 Vision WIFI

I was doing some thinking. I dont know if you guys experience this, but when the control is lost of the vision, its says it on the iphone screen. The control is a one way communication to the vision. So, this brings up the question of

-How does the message that control gets lost get sent back to the phone?
-How does distance data get sent back to the phone?

The reason that I ask this is because we know that the wifi connection sends this data, but the data is collected in the NAZA box. Somehow, the data has to be sent from the NAZA to the camera and then is broadcast on the wifi network.

I think this is why there are 2 antennas on the vision and the camera. One of the vision antennas receives the control commands. The other must send the flight distance data to one of camera antenna.

This means that one of the camera antennas is RX the data from the vision, then the other is the wifi communication.

The reason I am thinking about this is that the 2 vision antennas are on the front right and back left legs. More than likely, if someone wants to upgrade the vision control antenna, they will use the back left leg antenna because the rear of the craft is open for antennas. If someone decided to add a cloverleaf antenna to the camera wifi, it may be better to place it on the left side of the camera (looking down on the vision). If the camera is in fact receiving NAZA data, it seems like you would want to keep the stock (patch?) antenna on the right side so that it can face the vision antenna on the front right leg.

Any opinions? TheMostToys ;-) ?

Data is passed down the cable with the 4 way plug on it, that goes into the back of the camera.
Then it goes via wifi to the range extender, then to your phone app....

gpauk said:
Data is passed down the cable with the 4 way plug on it, that goes into the back of the camera.
Then it goes via wifi to the range extender, then to your phone app....

Actually, that is a three wire (servo PWM) and it ONLY controls the tilt servo. I have disassembled the entire camera several times.

bonedoc said:
I was doing some thinking. I dont know if you guys experience this, but when the control is lost of the vision, its says it on the iphone screen. The control is a one way communication to the vision. So, this brings up the question of

-How does the message that control gets lost get sent back to the phone? gpauk is correct, this data is sent from NAZA to the camera via the white 4 pole wire that plugs into the back of the camera.
-How does distance data get sent back to the phone? Via the WIFI from the camera to the repeater to the phone.

The reason that I ask this is because we know that the wifi connection sends this data, but the data is collected in the NAZA box. Somehow, the data has to be sent from the NAZA to the camera and then is broadcast on the wifi network. Yup, the white wire into the back of the camera.

I think this is why there are 2 antennas on the vision and the camera. One of the vision antennas receives the control commands. The other must send the flight distance data to one of camera antenna. Sorry to disappoint, but no. The two 5.8ghz RX antenna's on the legs are simple diversity receivers, one on each side of the camera for better reception. The original phantom only had one and it had poor reception (especially when behind the gopro.)

This means that one of the camera antennas is RX the data from the vision, then the other is the wifi communication.

The reason I am thinking about this is that the 2 vision antennas are on the front right and back left legs. These are the 5.8ghz control RX antennas only, no wifi, wifi is camera only and only from the camera to the repeater to the phone.More than likely, if someone wants to upgrade the vision control antenna, they will use the back left leg antenna because the rear of the craft is open for antennas. If someone decided to add a cloverleaf antenna to the camera wifi, it may be better to place it on the left side of the camera (looking down on the vision). If the camera is in fact receiving NAZA data, it seems like you would want to keep the stock (patch?) antenna on the right side so that it can face the vision antenna on the front right leg.

Any opinions? TheMostToys ;-) ?

Cheers

sweet! got it! I was not thinking of that white wire ;-) I assumed that was only power. I thought he meant the servo wire. Everything makes sense now.

Can you recommend a decent TX antenna for the controller?

I ordered a wifi booster like you use from radiolabs. Once I get it, I will design a compact mount with my laser cutter, including the voltage regulator. Excited!

bonedoc said:
sweet! got it! I was not thinking of that white wire ;-) I assumed that was only power. I thought he meant the servo wire. Everything makes sense now.

I ordered a wifi booster like you use from radiolabs. Once I get it, I will design a compact mount with my laser cutter, including the voltage regulator. Excited!

This cheap patch on the controller (no amp and no changes to the P2V) gives me 4km: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E37BPKA/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

For the Radiolabs amp, if you are handy with electronics (or know someone that is) you can reduce the weight to <8g (with connectors) by removing the aluminum case and the ridiculously heavy right angle connector. For best results, you should also build a Faraday cage (using your custom mount would make this very easy) around the exposed amp. I use this for the cage: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Woven-Wire-16-m ... OC:US:3160

themosttoys said:
bonedoc said:

This cheap patch on the controller (no amp and no changes to the P2V) gives me 4km: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E37BPKA/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

For the Radiolabs amp, if you are handy with electronics (or know someone that is) you can reduce the weight to <8g (with connectors) by removing the aluminum case and the ridiculously heavy right angle connector. For best results, you should also build a Faraday cage (using your custom mount would make this very easy) around the exposed amp. I use this for the cage: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Woven-Wire-16-m ... OC:US:3160

This is for the control link or for the wifi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

antonbdp said:
themosttoys said:
bonedoc said:

This is for the control link or for the wifi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The antenna linked above is for the control link. After adding the wifi antennas and amp, your control link will be the weak link. This cheap antenna will more than double (2.5x in my testing) your control link. One thing to keep in mind, to get maximum distance will require that you aim in the direction of the P2V (close in is not a problem, only when far away).

Well, I bought the radiolabs wifi booster, like TheMostToys showed. The right angle probably weighs as much as the rest of the device. It was also too bulky and impractical. So, it was removed. You cant really just desolder it because the connector is a giant heat sink. I had to carefully dremel it off and then unsolder. After removed, I soldered a cable in and tested it for shorts. Its probably not a beginners solder job. These boosters are $110 and are all very small surface mount components. Some are right by the connector that is removed.

I then made an acryllic "grommet" to fill in the old hole and clamp the cable a little. Next will be the mount, including the voltage regulator...

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 711
  • p2.JPG
    p2.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 684

Maybe you can tell me this TheMostToys. Will this type of transmitter fry if powered with no antenna in it? If so, how fast?

Does the vision has aux output power? Any specs? I cant find them. This pulls 550mA at 5v.

themosttoys said:
This thread should be specific to making improvements to the P2V camera WIFI.

There are pictures of the inside of the P2V camera / WIFI system. I'll dig up the links and update this post.

Here are a few of my own pictures (max 3 per post allowed):

I too have taken to adding my FPV range on the vision. I have added 2-TP.link 2.4ghz antennas to my range extender by adding ufl mini to rsma cords to tap into the internal antenna. I have gone from about 600-800ft of range for video to 1200ft. After taking my craft to the beach in Northern California I noticed my range was not as good and I would loose range at about 800ft again. Is it because of the reflective surface of the ocean?? I live in a neighborhood where we have HPS street lights and tons of EMF's so why would the range decrease when I am out at the coast with nothing around? Where I live we are in the hills and the topography is not flat by any means. Yet the beach is pretty flat. On another note I have ordered a Rotopixal gimbal which is due to arrive in a month or so. After doing some research I found that one of the gimbals blocks the right antenna on the camera. So in preparation I decided to add an external antenna by adding yet another RSMA cord off the camera and zip tie the antenna to the craft. After doing so I can no longer connect to the camera! So I took the antenna out and reinstalled the right internal antenna and I can no longer see the Phantom's wi-fi at all! I called DJI and explained what is going on and was told to delete the app and reload it. Which I did..... and then I could see the Phantom's wi-fi again but when I signed on I got the error message again "can not connect to Phantom". I rebooted my phone and all equipment again ie extender, Phantom, and camera and still no network! Im told that I might have to rebind the extender to the Phantoms camera. Its weird..... if I turn on the Phantom and the controller I get green lights but as soon as I turn on the extender I get flashing yellow lights. It seems when ever the extender is trying to communicate with the camera the yellow lights start flashing but when the extender is in standby I get green lights. I still have no Phantom wi-fi at all not even in my networks settings. Sorry for the long response. I just signed up and cant post this as a question to the sight. I will keep you guys posted.

themosttoys said:
800mw amplifier with 2.3dbi Skew Planar:

That is a clean install! I am waiting on my 5.8Ghz antenna myself. I am currently experiencing more problems with video distance than control distance. What are you doing for video? This is the first time on a forum. I am not sure how these things work. I am glad to find people out there getting the most out of their Phantom's. I would love to post pic's of my set up but don't know how and since I am so new I cant post questions out for everyone to answer. Again nice install! looks great.

TheMostToys, I noticed in one of your pictures with the booster, you added a filter or attenuator. What is this? Is it necessary? Thanks!

bonedoc said:
TheMostToys, I noticed in one of your pictures with the booster, you added a filter or attenuator. What is this? Is it necessary? Thanks!

6dbi attenuator is necessary because these units aren't designed to take more than 100mw of input power. Doing so can range the amp and give you reduced performance. The vision camera on average puts out more than 100mw power,

mr_3_0_5 said:
Why do you insist on posting this on every antenna thread ?
Again I don't think they care

I think I've missed a few threads. :lol:

And last time I checked not caring was not the same as it being OK. It goes to the mindset that we can do whatever the hell we please, which I find a real problem in the non-traditional RC world. Plus, I am willing to bet that there are actually a few out there who do care and who may not understand that they are operating illegally.

This mindset will be even more destructive once the FAA puts rules in place. After they see a sufficient number of people who simply don't care ignoring their rules I'm betting they use that as an excuse for even more stringent and restrictive rules.

If it bothers you so much, simply place my on your ignore list and you won't have to be bothered seeing my posts. But I'm curious, do you care if you are operating legally?

I upgraded my vision to the helical antenna and the planar and was getting about 6400 ft of flying
all of a sudden I cant get over 1000 without losing signal it seems to be when I upgraded the firmware
or maybe when the app was upgraded is anyone having this issue or is there a way I can test the vision
to see if maybe its not putting out the right voltage for signal... I have taken everything apart to make
sure the antenna wires were still on the board and suggestions? thanks

Nasrace10 said:
I upgraded my vision to the helical antenna and the planar and was getting about 6400 ft of flying
all of a sudden I cant get over 1000 without losing signal it seems to be when I upgraded the firmware
or maybe when the app was upgraded is anyone having this issue or is there a way I can test the vision
to see if maybe its not putting out the right voltage for signal... I have taken everything apart to make
sure the antenna wires were still on the board and suggestions? thanks

Hobbyking sells an immersionrc power output tester.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 8ghz_.html

Quick tip to see money when buying on hobbyking. Stay on the product page for a few minutes and you will get an option to add to your cart at a discounted price.

The Phantoms firmware has nothing to do with your fpv range. Especially not for a WiFi drop at 1,000 feet, The apps on the other hand for iOS and Android had buggy new releases that caused constant fpv freezing. The Android .40 version fixed the problem for me. Still waiting for an iOS update to the current .37 buggy version.

I download dji vision app in my iPhone and the wifi conects but y cant see nothing in the phone, the app open but it sees conection failed or los .

I have my iPhone connected to the phantom wifi , but anyway i could not see anithing in the dji vision app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik