Phantom 2 Catastrophic Failure after Firmware 3.06

No. It's not GPS interference. It is compass interference. Magnetic interference to be specific.

What are the tubes made of?

ianwood said:
No. It's not GPS interference. It is compass interference. Magnetic interference to be specific.

What are the tubes made of?

Right ok. I'm not sure, they're not plastic though so you are probably correct.

i was wondering the same thing about those pipes. If they are some type of Metal then that could be One possible explanation.
I've heard of some drone manufacturers installing some type of material under GPS's and Compasses to block Electrical/ Magnetic interference. The P2 has it already under the GPS but what about doing something under the compass?

Just a thought.

Navman said:
Also, looks like one powerful electro magnet to pick up a pipe that size and weight

No disrespect to gruvpix but why would you fly that close to a large magnetic field. I think we all know how magnetism transfers between metals. The whole stack probably is somewhat magnetized. Have you ever used a magnet to magnetize a screwdriver?

You have to use a little common since when you pick a location to fly.

Before I bought my P2 I watch and read all I could. I watched a video of the CEO of DJI. He compared where this product is compared to the evolution of computers. He stated that we are at the point when the Apple II was put on the retail market. That was before some of the people here were born. My point is these things have a long way to go. I certainly wouldn't depend on a hobby product like this to make my living. Not at this stage in the life cycle of these quads.

Just my opinion.

i didn't really notice this the first watch of the video but Navman pointed out the Electro Magnetic Pipe lifting attachment.
That is exactly what it looks like.
But, I had to Google it and found that it is actually a Vacuworx Vacuum Lift.
pipe.jpg

Still could have been an issue with the Pipes if they were actually Metal. Or could have been one of those common unexplained Jailbreaks.

Either way, It was a nice Jailbreak recovery gruvpix !

I think the fall might be due to the faulty battery. Your full throttle did not lift it too much shows this possible cause

Uh yeah, that might just explain it! :shock:

You don't want anything compass based within 100 yards of that thing! And each pipe is not only metallic but is carrying a fresh application of magnetic energy to boot. That video can serve as the poster child for what magnetic interference can do to your Phantom.

Agreed, because they chose a vacuum system instead of clamps or other means there's a chance their not metallic pipes either.

N017RW said:
Agreed, because they chose a vacuum system instead of clamps or other means there's a chance their not metallic pipes either.

It means there's a chance, but it certainly isn't a reliable argument. Vacuum systems are used to load and string out steel piping every day. It takes a very large amount of electricity to power an electromagnet and it's often difficult for mobile industrial equipment to do this. Secondly, it would cause an issue when picking up single pipes as the magnetic field could spill into nearby smaller pieces and partially pick them up too. They can be dangerous if someone leaves a pipe wrench, or other ferrous object, 15 feet away from the magnet when it is energized -- it will fly towards the magnet and hit anything in its path.

I accept your speculation as well.

hi buddy
i have a same issue like yours. i bought my battery from B&H New york just 4 months ago and i have flied just 9 times with it.

after contacting with dji, b&h sent me a anew one :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj9xsKdVv98[/youtube]

here is the video

Zinnware said:
Xrover said:
I heard that there was some talk that batteries from about 6 months ago might have an issue with some bad cells.
I had two batteries that had issues and I documented video of my iOSD where it failed with one battery at 72% and the other with 92%, but the voltage level was below the hidden third level threshold of 10.65V.. See my posts including video here...
Ref Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17324&start=138
The thread shows additional information I provided about the batteries. This behavior (failure) was repeated for each battery. I have sent them back to DJI and await their replacement. The video of one of the batteries is shown below.
---------------------------------------
Autoland at 92%
I guess I am the latest victim to a bad battery. Mine will go into autoland just as it reaches 92% or about 1 to 2 minutes of hovering. I have a video that shows the battery level indicator go from full charge to zero from the DJI osd mini.
http://youtu.be/K8YaDtoFVi4

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8YaDtoFVi4[/youtube]

ianwood said:
Uh yeah, that might just explain it! :shock:

You don't want anything compass based within 100 yards of that thing! And each pipe is not only metallic but is carrying a fresh application of magnetic energy to boot. That video can serve as the poster child for what magnetic interference can do to your Phantom.

Well it's a good thing the video has some use and hopefully someone can learn from it!
As for flying it in a highly magnetized zone or not, this is just something I didn't even think of. I have flown my phantom in quite a few places including many sketchier than this, so I simply didn't think anything of it. Whether the pipes/equipment is magnetized or not I am not sure, clearly some sort of interference messed with the thing and it tried to go down.
I practice flying in a safe manner, fly to a specific shot list and always exercise all pre-flight rituals including dance to the GPS gods etc., yes most of the board members on here are quite educated on the phantom and what can go wrong, I am simply trying to learn more about the thing so each new flight can be safer and more effective than the one before it.

hrosee said:
Navman said:
Also, looks like one powerful electro magnet to pick up a pipe that size and weight

No disrespect to gruvpix but why would you fly that close to a large magnetic field. I think we all know how magnetism transfers between metals. The whole stack probably is somewhat magnetized. Have you ever used a magnet to magnetize a screwdriver?

You have to use a little common since when you pick a location to fly.

Before I bought my P2 I watch and read all I could. I watched a video of the CEO of DJI. He compared where this product is compared to the evolution of computers. He stated that we are at the point when the Apple II was put on the retail market. That was before some of the people here were born. My point is these things have a long way to go. I certainly wouldn't depend on a hobby product like this to make my living. Not at this stage in the life cycle of these quads.

Just my opinion.

Just to briefly address, I had no idea it was a large magnetic field. This is something I just did not, and would not think of going into a shoot (until now). Secondly, our company purchased the phantom to supplement our existing video productions, and the unit represents a small portion of our revenues. For such an inexpensive piece of equipment though, it has paid for itself many times over. It is nothing to me if it gets dunked in a lake or zapped by a giant electro-magnet, except to learn from the experience, buy a new one and move on (which is what I'm doing here).
I wouldn't say that I went into the shoot without common sense, I simply didn't have the knowledge of the pipes/equipment and what it could potentially do.

gruvpix said:
Well it's a good thing the video has some use and hopefully someone can learn from it!
As for flying it in a highly magnetized zone or not, this is just something I didn't even think of. I have flown my phantom in quite a few places including many sketchier than this, so I simply didn't think anything of it. Whether the pipes/equipment is magnetized or not I am not sure, clearly some sort of interference messed with the thing and it tried to go down.
I practice flying in a safe manner, fly to a specific shot list and always exercise all pre-flight rituals including dance to the GPS gods etc., yes most of the board members on here are quite educated on the phantom and what can go wrong, I am simply trying to learn more about the thing so each new flight can be safer and more effective than the one before it.

gruvpix said:
Just to briefly address, I had no idea it was a large magnetic field. This is something I just did not, and would not think of going into a shoot (until now). Secondly, our company purchased the phantom to supplement our existing video productions, and the unit represents a small portion of our revenues. For such an inexpensive piece of equipment though, it has paid for itself many times over. It is nothing to me if it gets dunked in a lake or zapped by a giant electro-magnet, except to learn from the experience, buy a new one and move on (which is what I'm doing here).
I wouldn't say that I went into the shoot without common sense, I simply didn't have the knowledge of the pipes/equipment and what it could potentially do.

Very honest and intelligent replies.

My mind is kind of boggled... unless they are building a particle accelerator or large rail gun, why on earth would that be a magnetic pipe?

thongbong said:
My mind is kind of boggled... unless they are building a particle accelerator or large rail gun, why on earth would that be a magnetic pipe?

If they were in fact magnetized, the magnetism wouldn't be introduced by design -- it would be a symptom of manufacturing or handling.

k-index is at 4 watch out for your satellite coverage
Postby Mal_PV2_Ireland » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Lads my k-index app has reached 4 for the first time in a few months so be careful and keep an extra eye on your satellite coverage just in case it goes above 5. Solar flares must be about.
Mal_PV2_Ireland

Pazz said:
k-index is at 4 watch out for your satellite coverage
Postby Mal_PV2_Ireland » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Lads my k-index app has reached 4 for the first time in a few months so be careful and keep an extra eye on your satellite coverage just in case it goes above 5. Solar flares must be about.
Mal_PV2_Ireland

i just checked and you ain't kidding!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor