Phantom 2 Catastrophic Failure after Firmware 3.06

Reaction score
I have been actively involved in the Beta Testing of the 3.05 Firmware update program. I am fully experienced with the all the calibrations procedures and P2 setup. We were all thrilled when DJI released 3.06 just the other day. I updated to it the day after release which included the PCB update. There was a new setting for Autoland and Auto Descent. I turned off the feature to Automatically Return to Home after a Low Battery Level Warning. DJI as far as I could find, did not state what level they programmed in as a "Low Battery Level" condition. Prior P2 Assistant Software versions allowed you to set a "Low Battery Warning % between 20-30% but the new Software does not allow you to choose a set level for the First Warning. They did implement an Auto Descent at a Critical Battery Level. What number that is I do not know but I am guessing it's somewhere between 15-30%

After i installed all the updates I checked the "Default" setting in the Gains adjustment tab in the new P2 Assistant Software. I then did a full sticks calibration then an advanced IMU Calibration. Calibration numbers looked great. I went through all the tabs and checked that all was good.

I flew 3 batteries testing the new 3.06 Firmware. The J-Hook and Drifting issues were gone. I did notice a slower Throttle Response then from past Firmware Versions. I assumed this was just another parameter DJI implemented to aid in maintaining a more stable Phantom.

Yesterday I had a Video Shoot for a job. (This is what i have used the P2 for). it involved flying in from the ocean and over a car traveling on the highway. I flew a full battery and landed at 35% battery remaining. I put in another battery and took off for more filming. Battery level was at 99% at takeoff. I had 12 Sat's locked and good stability from the Phantom.

After being in the air for about 5-8 minutes, I setup for another shot. Battery level was at 78%, I had 12 Sat's locked
My altitude above the ocean was at first 20-30 feet I then brought it down slowly to 10-15 feet and I was about 50 yards off the beach. I did a slow Yaw to position the P2 for a straight run towards the beach.

Watching my FPV monitor and closely checking the iosd information, I know I was at 78% Battery Level, 3.5 Meters Altitude and 12 GPS Sat's locked. At this point, the P2 began to slowly descend. I could see it was dropping .5 Meters Per Second on the iosd. FPV was showing it getting closer to the water. I advanced the Throttle to 80% then to 100%. It began to gain only about 1 meter of altitude then started to lose altitude. I moved the throttle stick all the way to full. Still no response. Within 1 second, The P2 just fell the rest of the way down. It did not make a logical descent. IT FELL. I still had great video signal on my monitor up until the point it hit the water.

The Phantom is now a Total Loss. We were unable to find it. In all my flights with this P2, I have never had it fall out of the sky. I have always landed before the batteries hit 25%

I am very upset that this occurred after a new Firmware release that supposedly included a fix for Phantoms falling out of the sky.

Seriously?! I see there's quite a few of these problems popping up with dropping phantoms and non responsive throttles.

I don't know why, but from what I read here, lots of these falls happen above ocean water.

Fyod said:
I don't know why, but from what I read here, lots of these falls happen above ocean water.

Not necessarily. That is just random coincidence.

d4ddyo said:
you think it went into auto decent?
I did not see anything on the iosd that would indicate it was in a Auto Descend condition.
It was still just showing GPS mode.

Fyod said:

They happen over both land and water. When they happen over water, I think people usually lose them and are more likely to post about it in detail.

Unfortunately I am not in direct contact with Terry at DJI (Beta Testing Program). The more Phantoms now being sold, the more this problem is surfacing.

I have never had my Phantom just descend on it's own unless battery level was below 20%. It only happened to me once and it was a controlled slow descent.

I had 78% Battery when it fell..

Xrover said:
DJI as far as I could find, did not state what level they programmed in as a "Low Battery Level" condition.

On about page 34 of the updated manual it is explained. The battery warning thresholds are calculated, and displayed, based on altitude and distance to the home point... as explained below...
I don't know what they do if you disabled it.

11.5 Low Battery Level Warning Function
If the DJI smart battery is depleted to a point that may affect the safe return of the aircraft, the low battery level
warning notifies users to take action. Users are advised to land the aircraft immediately when they observe
these warnings. The thresholds for these warnings are automatically determined based on the current aircraft
altitude and its distance from the Home point. Details of the battery level warning are listed below:

and then they have a table of info

John Shaw said:
Xrover said:
DJI as far as I could find, did not state what level they programmed in as a "Low Battery Level" condition.

On about page 34 of the updated manual it is explained. The battery warning thresholds are calculated, and displayed, based on altitude and distance to the home point... as explained below...
I don't know what they do if you disabled it.

11.5 Low Battery Level Warning Function
If the DJI smart battery is depleted to a point that may affect the safe return of the aircraft, the low battery level
warning notifies users to take action. Users are advised to land the aircraft immediately when they observe
these warnings. The thresholds for these warnings are automatically determined based on the current aircraft
altitude and its distance from the Home point. Details of the battery level warning are listed below:

and then they have a table of info
Is a cool feature that calculates the safe return distance and gives warning. They have a cool display on the vision not on iOSD yet ... If they ever add it. ... But the auto land feature shoud I be different ?

The Auto Land Feature according to the Non Vision Release notes States

July 29, 2014 PHANTOM 2 Main Controller Firmware V3.06 released

What’s new?
Main Controller Firmware
1. When the battery level reaches a Critical Battery Level Warning, the aircraft will automatically land. The motors will power off after landing.
2. When the battery level reaches a Low Battery Level Warning, Auto Go Home will be activated.*
3. The speed of descent will be automatically adjusted based on current altitude.
4. Minimum adjustable height limit set to 20m.
5. Magnetic declination value stored to improve flight course accuracy.
6. Various bug fixes.

Phantom 2 PC Assistant
1. Added Japanese as a supported language.

Notes*:
1. The main controller firmware must be updated to v3.06 to use all of the above features.
2. Be aware that aircraft will now automatically return to the Home point on Low Battery Level Warning. If you wish to disable the auto go-home feature, launch DJI Phantom Assistant, enter “Battery Settings” section and de-select the “Go-Home” option.

There was never any attempt by my P2 (Non Vision) to move towards Home Position nor did the Flight Mode on the iosd change to Auto Land. Nothing indicated it was about to Pelican!

Xrover said:
The Auto Land Feature according to the Non Vision Release notes States

July 29, 2014 PHANTOM 2 Main Controller Firmware V3.06 released

What’s new?
Main Controller Firmware
1. When the battery level reaches a Critical Battery Level Warning, the aircraft will automatically land. The motors will power off after landing.
2. When the battery level reaches a Low Battery Level Warning, Auto Go Home will be activated.*
3. The speed of descent will be automatically adjusted based on current altitude.
4. Minimum adjustable height limit set to 20m.
5. Magnetic declination value stored to improve flight course accuracy.
6. Various bug fixes.

Phantom 2 PC Assistant
1. Added Japanese as a supported language.

Notes*:
1. The main controller firmware must be updated to v3.06 to use all of the above features.
2. Be aware that aircraft will now automatically return to the Home point on Low Battery Level Warning. If you wish to disable the auto go-home feature, launch DJI Phantom Assistant, enter “Battery Settings” section and de-select the “Go-Home” option.

There was never any attempt by my P2 (Non Vision) to move towards Home Position nor did the Flight Mode on the iosd change to Auto Land. Nothing indicated it was about to Pelican!
Yeah. And you disabled it from what I read.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. That is strange behavior indeed. I'm wondering if the unusual behavior may be related to a faulty battery (perhaps a bad cell), thus bypassing the normal warning alerts. You had indicated after being in flight for 8 minutes, the model was indicating 78% battery remaining. This does not sound right (would expect lower % remaining), and could be an indication of either something wrong with the battery or the way the controller was understanding the battery voltage.

After having all the problems with the compass declination issue... and Some of you know I shelved my phantom... actually sold it. I have been building and flying scratch builds. I have had the opportunity to try other flight controllers and some with GPS. None of them have the crazy issues that DJI is having.

My phantom flew perfect----then I-loaded the new 3.06 , and now it is a disaster. The throttle sticks do not function properly. The Right stick is now the shut down stick. The left stick does not give enough power for a take off, when a take off is finally achieved the left stick will not lower the copter. turning off the monitor was the only way to descend. Can I go back to 3.04? If so HOW?

bobinhawaii said:
My phantom flew perfect----then I-loaded the new 3.06 , and now it is a disaster. The throttle sticks do not function properly. The Right stick is now the shut down stick. The left stick does not give enough power for a take off, when a take off is finally achieved the left stick will not lower the copter. turning off the monitor was the only way to descend. Can I go back to 3.04? If so HOW?

Totally off topic, but this might help you...Run the "RC Assistant" (not DJI Assistant) with your transmitter connected to the computer and make sure you are in mode 2, not mode 1. While you are in there do a calibration of the sticks. Then go to DJI Assistant and do a stick calibration there as well. And for good measure while you are at it, do an advanced IMU calibration and ignore the warning about the unit being too hot.

Seem very inconsistent
I have loaded 3.06 and run it through a number of tests.
GPS, IOC off run to confirm no TBE or JHook
Checked CL for no drift error
Checked HL
Check battery warning RTH
Yaw Rate tests using a thumb as the limiter
Yaw Rate tests using the app accelerometer feature
And I have experience no problems. It feels just like it did before 3.06 except for the benefits of the improvements.
I wonder what is causing the difference?

John Shaw said:
Seem very inconsistent
I have loaded 3.06 and run it through a number of tests.
GPS, IOC off run to confirm no TBE or JHook
Checked CL for no drift error
Checked HL
Check battery warning RTH
Yaw Rate tests using a thumb as the limiter
Yaw Rate tests using the app accelerometer feature
And I have experience no problems. It feels just like it did before 3.06 except for the benefits of the improvements.
I wonder what is causing the difference?

John... Did you do anything different like disable RTH?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav