Phantom 2 Catastrophic Failure after Firmware 3.06

tferrari said:
I'm flying 3.06 with J-hooking and TBE solved. This has been great for me in Northern Canada with high magnetic declination.

Adjusting the gains higher than what the stock settings were (for basic gains) has really improved overall flight stability.

tferrari, can you post your gains? Just curious.

Thx!

damoncooper said:
tferrari said:
I'm flying 3.06 with J-hooking and TBE solved. This has been great for me in Northern Canada with high magnetic declination.

Adjusting the gains higher than what the stock settings were (for basic gains) has really improved overall flight stability.

Thx!

Basic: 175/175/210/190
Attitude: 140/140

I really don't see or hear any visible oscillations during flying, but a more adept pilot might suggest I reduce the yaw by another 10 percent. I don't know if it's necessary though. Also, the attitude gains are good for me where they are. I don't want a really snappy reaction to my inputs anyways.

Changing these gains has transformed my P2 from a piece of garbage to a flying monster, to be honest. Flying with the stock gains was ok when I was flying without my gimbal + gopro + transmitter attached etc., but once I added that extra weight it only makes sense that an increase in gain would be required. Now it runs like a top and I'm not scared of the thing falling out of the sky when I yaw or take a turn.

tferrari said:
damoncooper said:
tferrari said:

Thx!

Basic: 175/175/210/190
Attitude: 140/140

I really don't see or hear any visible oscillations during flying, but a more adept pilot might suggest I reduce the yaw by another 10 percent. I don't know if it's necessary though. Also, the attitude gains are good for me where they are. I don't want a really snappy reaction to my inputs anyways.

Changing these gains has transformed my P2 from a piece of garbage to a flying monster, to be honest. Flying with the stock gains was ok when I was flying without my gimbal + gopro + transmitter attached etc., but once I added that extra weight it only makes sense that an increase in gain would be required. Now it runs like a top and I'm not scared of the thing falling out of the sky when I yaw or take a turn.

Noted. I'll give these a try. How about hovering with yaw only? How big is the yaw-induced wandering circle (if any)?

damoncooper said:
Noted. I'll give these a try. How about hovering with yaw only? How big is the yaw-induced wandering circle (if any)?

Good question about the yaw-induced circle. When I first started with my P2, it was disgusting. It would just take off in one direction if I used yaw. I upped the yaw gain by a lot to start.. like 80 percent or so and just reduced it until everything seemed stable. Someone else actually suggested that I up the yaw gain to correct this issue. This is what got me on the track of modifying the gain settings.

Right now, my yaw doesn't induce a circle. As soon as I take off, it may have a slightly circle but after a few moments of flying, I can yaw in one place and have no issues. Even on a windy day, as I yaw I can hear the motors adequately correcting for the wind and keeping that thing locked into place. Play with your gain settings and test at 10-15 feet above the ground. You cannot do any damage, your machine will just wobble a bit. It won't induce a crash unless your gains are cranked to the max and you're flying like a dummy :p

wkf94025 said:
The video of my v3.06 FW crash is below.

Recap of earlier comments: Following the upgrade to v3.06 a week prior to the crash, I did full calibrations in Assistant, including IMU, and compass calibration. I had flown v3.06 a dozen times prior to the crash, with no issues whatsoever. The site where the crash occurred I have flown and filmed at least 50+ times since my first Phantom 1.0 almost a year ago. This P2 and H3-3D and accessories had been flying just fine several times a week on 3.04 since early April, including dozens of flights on the site of the crash. The setup was new in box in early April, and had never been crashed until this fateful day. On the day of this crash, I had lock on 7 sats at takeoff, then home point set, and 10 sats once stabilized in the air. The only change between the fatal outing August 11th and ~50+ prior flights on the exact same hardware is 3.06 versus 3.04. And the departure behavior is so indicative of a flight controller than suddenly decides it should be somewhere else. My current theory is that GPS / NAZA are badly confused all of a sudden. Also, FWIW, I have had GPS go out on multiple occasions on previous P2's running v3.04. The behavior in those cases was much more benign than in this case: the flight mode on OSD suddenly switches from GPS to ATTI, and the # sats shows zero. However, in the case of v3.04 losing GPS, there is a graceful transition from GPS to ATTI, not a sudden departure to an unknown coordinate system. Also, having had battery premature auto-landing experiences, power subsystem failures, and bad ESC's, I don't see indications of any of those symptoms in this crash.

HAL lives on in v3.06 in my opinion.

Kelly

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkmvUfC0Ov0[/youtube]

Wow, very similar thing happened to me on a shoot recently. Luckily I was able to recover. I was flying on 3.04 and was heading slowly towards the subject (construction machinery, very similar to content of your video) and as I was almost there the thing did the 'jail break' in the exact same manner. Was like I applied max right tilt and was losing altitude. I didn't check how many sats I had but I promptly flipped it to atti and corrected the aggressive acceleration. Fortunately I was able to recover as my client was standing right there and was asking 'is it supposed to be doing that?'... That was the first gps related issue I've had flying the P2, but if the issue is even worse and unrecoverable on 3.06, I don't think I'll update

I doubt it's GPS related. Remember in the video the camera gimble tipped perfectly with the Phantom and as has been mentioned that is probably more an IMU thing than a GPS thing. There is common thread of being in close proximity to construction machinery. In the video it is very close to the second excavator just before it takes off. Could they be generating electrical or electromagnetic interference? What do you think?

I just wonder what frequency these construction guys are on. Remember they don't have to be on the same frequency. They can be on a harmonic/multiple of your frequency. These RC radios don't have the best front end on the receivers. That why we typically fly at RC fields.

I am not saying I am not taking the same risks because I am, but being a ham radio operator I see this all the time on VHF/UHF equipment. These radio have a better front end in them. I just don't think the quality of RC equipment can take a whole lot of interference. This may not be the case here but something that has to be considered wherever you fly.

I don't fly at any place where there may be strong interference. By strong I am not talking about much power. These radio just weren't designed for that. A good radio receiver at 2.4 ghz would cost as much as we pay for the P2 alone.

You can also get pulse type interference from the engines ignition systems. I bet their equipment puts out all sort of interference. My point is you take your changes flying these things anywhere around any type of equipment, radio or not.

John Shaw said:
I doubt it's GPS related. Remember in the video the camera gimble tipped perfectly with the Phantom and as has been mentioned that is probably more an IMU thing than a GPS thing. There is common thread of being in close proximity to construction machinery. In the video it is very close to the second excavator just before it takes off. Could they be generating electrical or electromagnetic interference? What do you think?

Interesting thought John regarding the potential for EMF in this environment and worth consideration. On the flip side, Kelly indicates that he has flown this location nearly 50 times without incident. Presuming he has approached similar equipment at similar distances, one would have to wonder why those had a happy ending. The more I learn about these copters and their various subsystems including the IMU & FC, the more I realize how complex the system really is and I'm actually surprised so many of them fly as well as they do. Without having a flight data log, solving the root cause of this particular incident seems like it will be difficult.

ToddSmi said:
Interesting thought John regarding the potential for EMF in this environment and worth consideration. On the flip side, Kelly indicates that he has flown this location nearly 50 times without incident. Presuming he has approached similar equipment at similar distances, one would have to wonder why those had a happy ending.

I have filmed on this site and our Cabo project many times around all manner of heavy construction equipment, and have never seen anything like this "jail break" before.

Kelly

Sorry to say that at some point crashes will occur. Unfortunately the consequences result in a unrecoverable damages. Falling out of the air or crashing into something will damage the aircraft. Even major airlines are trailling auto pilot passenger aircraft( fully auto take/off landing) systems. These have 6x redundancy systems & still cannot be said to be 100% reliable. It's just a fact of life with this emerging technology that it will fail at some stage the more you use it. If you are using it for commercial purposes , it just becomes part of the cost of doing business . Suck it up & buy a replacement & move on. If it's just for pleasure, well , it's the cost of having a hobby, & you have to decide whether you want to bear the cost.

Sorry to say that at some point crashes will occur. Unfortunately the consequences result in a unrecoverable damages. Falling out of the air or crashing into something will damage the aircraft. Even major airlines are trailling auto pilot passenger aircraft( fully auto take/off landing) systems. These have 6x redundancy systems & still cannot be said to be 100% reliable. It's just a fact of life with this emerging technology that it will fail at some stage the more you use it. If you are using it for commercial purposes , it just becomes part of the cost of doing business . Suck it up & buy a replacement & move on. If it's just for pleasure, well , it's the cost of having a hobby, & you have to decide whether you want to bear the cost.

Pazz said:

Wuh?

Pazz said:

I think we are talking about Warranty and Manufacturer Defects issues here. Not about a product breaking from use. But yeah, **** Happens so deal with it.. That is what we are doing!

Before DJI offered me a 30% coupon for the loss of my P2, I ended up having to buy another One. Fortunately the Production Company who's shoot I was working on at the time of the crash, decided they would cover 75% of the cost for replacement.

I ended up installing 3.06 again on the new One. I have run about 7 batteries through it testing it out over land and keeping it nearby where i could at least try to catch it if it dropped. So far it has been flying very well. Real Straight!

I did notice it was a bit twitchy in a hover. I felt it was trying to over correct in the Pitch and Roll so I dropped the Basic Pitch and Roll Gains by 15%. Worked like a charm. Smooth Hover now.

I also have noticed that as you get within 12 feet of the ground it wants to descend and not maintain it's Altitude. I needed to give it a little throttle to maintain that altitude bu as soon as i released the throttle it would start to descend again. Knowing this, I will be cautious when trying to hover anywhere near the ground. I started 3.06 with it's default gains settings.

Now a new issue i have never had.

I was in a hover about 50' up and the H3-3D Gimbal did a quick Yaw Snap. I was not touching the sticks. 5 seconds later it did it again. Any ideas?

Here's the video of my near crash. You will see I am headed forward up to about the 0:20 mark, at which point the Phantom begins drifting to the left. By 0:22 I am not fighting anything on the sticks, they are completely centred. Then you will see it aggressively accelerates backwards and then rolls right and loses altitude. Same situation as well with the gimbal tilting to compensate for horizon. Keep in mind, this was on 3.04.
I flipped to ATTI at about 0:34 and then was able to correct the movement and head back to the subject.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWstSJ0H6UA[/youtube]

Xrover said:
Before DJI offered me a 30% coupon for the loss of my P2, I ended up having to buy another One. Fortunately the Production Company who's shoot I was working on at the time of the crash, decided they would cover 75% of the cost for replacement.

Lucky you!

I ended up installing 3.06 again on the new One. I have run about 7 batteries through it testing it out over land and keeping it nearby where i could at least try to catch it if it dropped. So far it has been flying very well. Real Straight!

I did notice it was a bit twitchy in a hover. I felt it was trying to over correct in the Pitch and Roll so I dropped the Basic Pitch and Roll Gains by 15%. Worked like a charm. Smooth Hover now.

Good to know. Will try that when I get up the nerve to fly again.

I also have noticed that as you get within 12 feet of the ground it wants to descend and not maintain it's Altitude. I needed to give it a little throttle to maintain that altitude bu as soon as i released the throttle it would start to descend again. Knowing this, I will be cautious when trying to hover anywhere near the ground. I started 3.06 with it's default gains settings.

Now a new issue i have never had.

I was in a hover about 50' up and the H3-3D Gimbal did a quick Yaw Twitch. I was not touching the sticks. 5 seconds later it did it again. Any ideas?

I don't have precise observations logged, but I was also seeing a bit of gymbal twitch on v3.06 before the Jail Break crash.

Kelly

Xrover said:
Pazz said:
Blah, blah, blah...

I think we are talking about Warranty and Manufacturer Defects issues here. Not about a product breaking from use.

Tru dat..

Ignore Putz's drivel...

Kelly

gruvpix said:

Significant TBE as soon as you flow over those giant fuel rods, electromagnetic rail gun parts, centrifuge tubes, or whatever they are. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that they have a significant metallic content. Their shape is probably also lending itself to a polarizing magnetic field which will just make it worse.

If you want to confirm it, grab a regular analog compass, then head over to your pipes and see what happens. Get on top of them and see how much worse it gets.

This is not a failure as much as it is a vulnerability of the compass. Large metallic objects can have localized magnetic fields that throw your compass off. Once your compass disagrees with your GPS enough, you get TBE. Small TBE slowly resolves itself. Big TBE gets worse the longer it happens and requires intervention.

ianwood said:
gruvpix said:

Significant TBE as soon as you flow over those giant fuel rods, electromagnetic rail gun parts, centrifuge tubes, or whatever they are. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that they have a significant metallic content. Their shape is probably also lending itself to a polarizing magnetic field which will just make it worse.

If you want to confirm it, grab a regular analog compass, then head over to your pipes and see what happens. Get on top of them and see how much worse it gets.

This is not a failure as much as it is a vulnerability of the compass. Large metallic objects can have localized magnetic fields that throw your compass off. Once your compass disagrees with your GPS enough, you get TBE. Small TBE slowly resolves itself. Big TBE gets worse the longer it happens and requires intervention.

Ok so it is a function of GPS interference then? This makes me more comfortable as I can fly decent enough in ATTI to compensate for any GPS related issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor