Painting parts

Krylon fusion for plastic , great stuff , super fast drying. Sticks great . Seriously it's great stuff!

Onezerosix141 said:
So I'm thinking about painting my prop guards and the bottom part of the landing gear. Is there certain type of paint I should use?
I painted mine... I used a plastic primer spray paint before the red paint...

Attachments

• Genuine DJI Prop guards.jpg
    Genuine DJI Prop guards.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1,259
  • 20140602_114138.jpg
    20140602_114138.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 1,175
Car paint straight onto the shell worked for me. No peeling or cracking. Done a month or 2 back.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I used fluoresent neon orange.

Here's the result. Btw, small glass mirrors are for reflection from distance.

Attachments

• 1neon.jpg
    1neon.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,250
  • flyNcat2.jpg
    flyNcat2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,482
Phantom_Menace66 said:
Onezerosix141 said:
So I'm thinking about painting my prop guards and the bottom part of the landing gear. Is there certain type of paint I should use?

Very nice ^_^
What brand did you use?

Onezerosix141 said:
Where did you get car paint? How did you apply it?
A Peugeot grey from Halfords for the top, straight onto the shell. No prep just a light clean. Sorry I'm not a paint purest. Dayglow orange was also from them for the face.

How? Heavily masked off what to not be sprayed, including masking the vents. There after pressed the button giving first coat very lightly then a couple of more coats. Final coat being the heaviest.

I've had at least 60 or so flights since then, in and out of the backpack and no peeling or damage. Just one or two minor scraps.

I've thought about painting my bird since the day I bought it. I HATE the look of white, cheap plastic and prefer the look of of things in black.

I've read a lot about the successful and ease of application of Krylon Fusion for plastics paints. Apparently no primer needed and the results are quite good. Just make sure to wash the plastic and remove any hand oils that might be present on the plastic shell.

Some paints might not be suitable for painting the bird though and if they contain metals or compounds that might block GPS reception so you need to be careful.

I used a plastic primer spray paint before the black paint. :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 609
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 618
sidebox said:
On this topic... I was thinking of using plastidip to cover mine. Any reason I should not? (additional weight, etc....)

http://www.amazon.com/Performix-11210-E ... P4FBFE9YGG

have done car alloys and various other car parts with plastidip and its quite durable and can withstand the heat from brakes no problem. Unsure about weight though. I love the fact that when your sick\bored of it, it just peels off.

Brettly said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:

Looks kool!..easily spotted with the red and white stripes.

That was the theory behind the makeover however, it doesn't seem to matter what color it is painted, it's still hard to see against the bright sky. The red/white stripes do help as it gets nearer and I think it makes it look a bit less like a toy, if you know what I mean...

Onezerosix141 said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
Onezerosix141 said:

Very nice ^_^

What brand did you use?
I used a clear plastic primer & some red gloss enamel paint. Cost like $10 for both...(see pic)

Attachments

• 20140729_112505.jpg
    20140729_112505.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 488
IrishSights said:
Onezerosix141 said:
A Peugeot grey from Halfords for the top, straight onto the shell. No prep just a light clean. Sorry I'm not a paint purest. Dayglow orange was also from them for the face.

How? Heavily masked off what to not be sprayed, including masking the vents. There after pressed the button giving first coat very lightly then a couple of more coats. Final coat being the heaviest.

I've had at least 60 or so flights since then, in and out of the backpack and no peeling or damage. Just one or two minor scraps.

Have you posted a pic of it?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
IrishSights said:
Onezerosix141 said:

Have you posted a pic of it?

Yeah, way back in some thread! Easier to post again than to find it as my Shredded Wheat is getting soggy!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406620424185.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406620424185.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 473
Phantom_Menace66 said:
M.Tigelaar said:
I used a plastic primer spray paint before the black paint. :cool:
Looks mean in black! How did you paint inside the battery compartment?

The thought of stripping it down frightens the hell out of me.... Might never fly again :cry:

I could just paint, because he was completely empty :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 540
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 523
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 541

Recent Posts