Painting parts

N017RW said:
ToThePoint said:
N017RW said:
Taste and skills vary. TEHO.

Sure especially when we have to google for it ourselves so you can keep your secrets to the self.
Nice skill.
I rather have no advice then someone stating stuff with no clear info so they can kick afterwards.
So pls keep your skills, we will find our own way.

As I go through life I've always come across someone who can do just about anything better than me.

I'd look, listen, and learn.

I never imagined they were keeping secrets or being unclear. Hmmm.

Besides,IIR, you preferred your way better:
"I will stick with my mod, by the time someone has destroyed there battery i have painted 2 of mine with no afterwards issues."

i have found your posts to be very informative and I appreciate your efforts in taking the time to post especially with allthe experience you have. i find this thread interesting as my background is model building and i got into airbrushing this year. So. iam thinking of doing a p2mod to my p1. if i did that i could paint the shell first. i did päint my prop guards and found with just a few light coats the päint sticks very well the plastic. Since when I paint a model car i really do not have to worry about scratches. since the quad might get scratched i want a way to quick and easy filler to patch rub it out and have it look brand new. I do like a waxed up and buffed out paint job. make it shine..
finally, thanks everyone for the input.

Update!
I tried out PlastiDip & it seems I need to use some kind of primer. I put down 3 coats & i think it's too heavy & started worrying about heat build up.

Onezerosix141 said:
Update!
I tried out PlastiDip & it seems I need to use some kind of primer. I put down 3 coats & i think it's too heavy & started worrying about heat build up.

I wrote the below before I looked up PlastiDip. I think, as you learned, that this product is way to heavy for our use. I wonder why you want to use something like that rather then just a decent paint. Now to what I wrote before I looked up PlastiDip.

Did the paint not adhere or stick very well? Make sure you wash and dry the plastic prior to any paint. A light sanding will also help with this. Post some pictures so we can see what you are talking about...if ya want..

Some awesome paint jobs! I see purple Phantom in my future! I used to paint everything with Humbrol paints. I'll do a test inside something that doesn't show..

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not as the topic is "parts", but thought I'd share a paint job that I've just completed and hopefully it will fit into this thread. Sorry if it does not.

I came across 2 photos of F-16's that I really liked from a Texas Air National Guard Unit and thought I would give it a try on a Phantom 2. For better or worse, this is what I came up with. I change out the gray props for white when I fly as I don't want to have any balance issues with the light coat of paint on the tips.

Attachments

• ACE 4.jpg
    ACE 4.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 650
  • ACE 3.jpg
    ACE 3.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 870
  • ACE 2.jpg
    ACE 2.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 576
  • ACE 6.jpg
    ACE 6.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 535
Here is the second F-16 and the Phantom doing an engine "run-up".

Attachments

• ACE 7.jpg
    ACE 7.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 447
  • ACE 5.jpg
    ACE 5.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 909
bpatty said:
Not sure if this is the correct thread or not as the topic is "parts", but thought I'd share a paint job that I've just completed and hopefully it will fit into this thread. Sorry if it does not.

I came across 2 photos of F-16's that I really liked from a Texas Air National Guard Unit and thought I would give it a try on a Phantom 2. For better or worse, this is what I came up with. I change out the gray props for white when I fly as I don't want to have any balance issues with the light coat of paint on the tips.

You sir...ROCK! Wow. I hate you... well, not really, I just wish I could both visualize and then actually apply it and come up with such a beautiful work of art, Did you print your own decals, they look unique? are you a former airman?

thanks for sharing.

There some very smart and talented people flying these things, I'm constantly impressed.

bpatty said:

Love this custom paint job.

bpatty said:

First off... i'm not a fan of blue and yellow... or busy looking paintjobs...

But this F-16 Phantom is just beautiful... i can't imagine the level of masking and measuring and layering that goes into something like this :?

Absolutely gorgeous!!! :ugeek:

Wow.. Thanks to everyone! I'm overwhelmed!!

The decals are not made by me. I have always liked putting together plastic model airplanes for years. Have discovered several companies who make sets of decals for a huge line of different airplanes from all periods of time. After I saw the 2 F-16's, I started searching for decals that portrayed that specific yellow and blue F 16, then one that had that style of Texas flag. Found them and bought 2 sets of each! Then it was just trying to figure out how to use that color scheme on a Phantom.

I had originally thought of painting my Phantom bright orange overall with blue pin striping, like I had seen in a motorcycle magazine photo that really looked sharp!! Started looking at paints and came across the House of Kolor brand, used in the automotive industry. Not really looking to use automotive paint, but after looking at the hobby paints, I didn't see an orange that really matched the color of the motorcycle. Then read where it was House of Color. Couldn't really decide on a pin stripe pattern, then one day saw the blue and yellow F 16, and that was the end of the motor cycle idea, but decided to stay with House of Kolor and gave it a try.

House of Kolor is usually sold in cans, but decided to spend a little more and purchased the blue and yellow in spray can format. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. Went down very thin, and using several coats, the color built up nicely. Masked off the blue then sprayed the yellow. There were no issues with paint peeling off afterwards, which was a pleasant surprise. House of Kolor is designed to be finished off with a clear coat, as it dries dull.

I really wanted to use a clear coat anyway, as the first Phantom project ended up with a decal disaster. I had completed a Phantom in a Coast Guard finish without a clear coat earlier. That turned out to be a big mistake. I took the Phantom down near the gulf coast in Houston to do a photo shoot, and the humidity in the air and on my hands just destroyed all of the decals. Had to be very careful where I placed my hands or would have lost all of the decals. That's what led me to do a finish that ended up with a clear coat.

I am in the process of completing a re-decaling and doing some paint touch up on the Coast Guard Phantom and will for sure do a clear coat on that one. Clear coating is not a cure all protection, but does help seal in the decals and will help with some of the little dings that occur with hard landing, tip overs and contact with bushes.

Sorry for the big manuscript here. Looks like I got a little carried away. To answer another question, I am not in the military, but my father was in the Coast Guard for 22 years and I have always been around aircraft and enjoy the airshows. I live near a bomber base now and see them in the sky all of the time. Have built models for years and flew model airplanes and radio controlled a/c for a while.

Again, I really appreciate the kind comments. Take Care bpatty

Hi,

Just painting my P2V+ and Pelican case with desert digital camouflage....
Very happy with the outcome.

cheers

Please...I still hate you and wish you would die. NO to be honest I wonder why am I alive, I am so worthless. Dude, please your work is professional! And you are so humble you say you are sorry for telling us so much. Ok, praise is hard to take and sometimes hard to say. but when I saw your work I was very very impressed. did you wash and sand everything first? Automotive paint is the way to go, build up coats, then clear coat and wax the little sucker up so you can see your face in it. I don't know if you are aware but printing your own decals using laser color has come a long way. (oh who am I trying to give you tips, sorry) Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to see your Coast Guard Phantom when completed.

bpatty said:
Wow.. Thanks to everyone! I'm overwhelmed!!

The decals are not made by me. I have always liked putting together plastic model airplanes for years. Have discovered several companies who make sets of decals for a huge line of different airplanes from all periods of time. After I saw the 2 F-16's, I started searching for decals that portrayed that specific yellow and blue F 16, then one that had that style of Texas flag. Found them and bought 2 sets of each! Then it was just trying to figure out how to use that color scheme on a Phantom.

I had originally thought of painting my Phantom bright orange overall with blue pin striping, like I had seen in a motorcycle magazine photo that really looked sharp!! Started looking at paints and came across the House of Kolor brand, used in the automotive industry. Not really looking to use automotive paint, but after looking at the hobby paints, I didn't see an orange that really matched the color of the motorcycle. Then read where it was House of Color. Couldn't really decide on a pin stripe pattern, then one day saw the blue and yellow F 16, and that was the end of the motor cycle idea, but decided to stay with House of Kolor and gave it a try.

House of Kolor is usually sold in cans, but decided to spend a little more and purchased the blue and yellow in spray can format. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. Went down very thin, and using several coats, the color built up nicely. Masked off the blue then sprayed the yellow. There were no issues with paint peeling off afterwards, which was a pleasant surprise. House of Kolor is designed to be finished off with a clear coat, as it dries dull.

I really wanted to use a clear coat anyway, as the first Phantom project ended up with a decal disaster. I had completed a Phantom in a Coast Guard finish without a clear coat earlier. That turned out to be a big mistake. I took the Phantom down near the gulf coast in Houston to do a photo shoot, and the humidity in the air and on my hands just destroyed all of the decals. Had to be very careful where I placed my hands or would have lost all of the decals. That's what led me to do a finish that ended up with a clear coat.

I am in the process of completing a re-decaling and doing some paint touch up on the Coast Guard Phantom and will for sure do a clear coat on that one. Clear coating is not a cure all protection, but does help seal in the decals and will help with some of the little dings that occur with hard landing, tip overs and contact with bushes.

Sorry for the big manuscript here. Looks like I got a little carried away. To answer another question, I am not in the military, but my father was in the Coast Guard for 22 years and I have always been around aircraft and enjoy the airshows. I live near a bomber base now and see them in the sky all of the time. Have built models for years and flew model airplanes and radio controlled a/c for a while.

Again, I really appreciate the kind comments. Take Care bpatty

ealt Nice job on the Phantom and the case. Do you know if that case can hold a Phantom with the extended landing skid? The computer build job is amazing. Nice photos

Wedeliver.. Thanks again. I'd like to try and print my own decals someday. Think that would be a great thing to try and do. Unfortunately I don't have a printer at the house and they frown on using work printers for personal use.

Photos of the Coast Guard Phantom might be a little late in coming. It was intended to be a paint redo of an earlier Coast Guard Phantom I did in the late Spring. Had some electronic issues with it and wanted to see if the repairs I had done worked. Nope.. Sure didn't and it crashed. So, it looks like a major overhaul/repair job. Here are a couple of photos of the original color scheme. I do want to rebuild it and do another House Of Kolor brand paint job. Not sure what it will look like yet though.

Attachments

• USCG 2.jpg
    USCG 2.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 521
  • USCG 1.jpg
    USCG 1.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 527
You guys have inspired me and this winter, when the conditions are not good for flying, I will use to refine my painting skills. I have maybe 40 hours of airbrush experience and I think I am ready to try more difficult projects. I have gotten some good ideas from the above, thanks

Wedeliver..
Forgot to answer your question about washing/sanding. I sprayed GooGone on a clean cloth and wiped everything down. Then used a dry clean cloth to wipe the surface off afterwards to be sure I had removed as much GooGone as I could. Didn't do any sanding though. The surface was sort of dull and I had already practiced with painting some scrap plastic after using/drying off GooGone and knew that it would adhere to the plastic without having to sand. I removed the top shell and tucked in as much of the wiring that goes down the skid into the cavities of the bottom half wherever I found some empty areas. I then used blue painters tape on the inside of the top and bottom shells to seal off the air cooler vents, as well as taping off the motors and sealing off the battery compartment. That got a little tedious, but worth it in the long run I think. I didn't remove any electronics or motors. I then replaced the top shell and tightened everything down. I needed the top and bottom back together to get the masking pattern right. Sprayed a silver basecoat over everything followed by metallic blue over the entire Phantom. Masked off the blue then sprayed the yellow. Clear coated it all, applied decals and clear coated once again.

As a side note, I zip tied the Phantom's skids to a small wire plant stand. That enabled me to "hold" the Phantom securely at all angles without worrying about paint spray on my hands or how to hold it or grab any wet areas when I needed to rotate it or shoot the underside. As a bonus, being a plant stand, I just sat it down to dry knowing it wouldn't tip over. In addition, I used a blue liquid paint mask to cover up all of the screw heads before painting. Then after the paint job was done, I used a needle to remove the mask and reveal "clear" screw heads so whenever I need to remove the cover again, the screws will come out cleanly and tear any nearby paint.

It was all trial and error and I did learn a few things that I would do differently if I ever do another one. It was very time consuming but am pleased with the way it came out.

Dirty Bird said:
ealt said:
Hi,

Just painting my P2V+ and Pelican case with desert digital camouflage....
Very happy with the outcome.

Awesome! I just hope it never goes down in the desert or you'll never find it! ;)

When you said that I could picture someone setting that quad down, turning around and when they turn back around they cannot find it, lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl