p3s - rth vs smart rth

Yes, I understand that concern. To be clear though, running Litchi doesn't require uninstalling anything at all. I've never uninstalled DJI Go, and I usually just keep it closed when using Litchi. I was just making the point that you could uninstall DJI Go from your tablet/phone, and your bird still retains its settings, and you can see those settings when your fire up the Litchi app. So I switch between apps, depending on what flights I want to make, and no installation or uninstallation is required (though you do want to be sure that only one app is running on your phone/tablet on any given flight; force close the other one).
Yes. I've litchi since Oct and use both. I knew it didn't require an uninstall. Just really trying to get all the RTH sorted out with both Go and Litchi. I have however noticed a difference on RTH altitudes between the two. This one field I fly in, nothing between that required a high RTH, I kept it set at 30M in Go. Opened Litchi and it was at the previous height I had set the last time I had used Litchi. I always make that check as one of the preflight checklist every time. That's how I had noticed. But as far as when low battery/smart RTH kicks in, the battery percentage adjustment I have never found in Litchi. I would love to be able to just use Litchi.. but like you said, updates and such requires Go. I always try to keep missions within range so all automated gimble functions work in Litchi so I've never had RTH kick in during a mission so this is a great thread to me. I've needed to learn all the details of RTH in both apps. Thanks for "all" the input.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Still have the one last question as to whether or not the RTH button (P4) will initiate RTH if smart RTH is disabled. I'll find out today.

After 5 pages we are still getting the mix and match answers !! :rolleyes:

Nigel

It's like in my pipefitting trade. If someone tells me a steam line is shut down and is ready for service, you better believe I'm going to check that shutoff valve first before I touch that line. Same here, I will test and check so I know that I know.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Hey Rod,

I don't know what your objective her is in the first part of this reply is but my objective is the same as yours.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Who's the "her", gotcha, this thread got way to busy, to be honest, which is much easier to remember then lying. To me it seemed like you were focused on proving your first post (comment) and wasn't excepting any other thoughts.

Based on your reply to me, I now see I was wrong. ;)

Rod

Reactions: MacPhantom
Wow, another page, @JohnnyB, I guess I should have not sent you the link :rolleyes:.
I will let you and Nigel continue on, I'm at home, and have homework to do, as you know, I will be back later..

Rod

Reactions: JohnnyB
as far as when low battery/smart RTH kicks in, the battery percentage adjustment I have never found in Litchi.

Yes, good point. I don't think Litchi provides a means to adjust that setting. But my guess is that Litchi app won't change whatever you have set via DJI Go, though I can't prove it without doing a test. Sounds like another Litchi mission test in the near future.

Reactions: JohnnyB
d47c8e031b243c3d94e7c919cb321777.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Got this from DJI

朣楢琴执执 瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧浻牡楧敬瑦 瀰 絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵 潣潬昣昸昸慢正 牧畯摮椭 慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮牡氬晥⁴潴敬 瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴 捥捥捥戻捡杫潲湵浩条眭 扥楫bn 楬敮牡 札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散戻捡杫潲 湵浩条洭穯氭湩慥牧 摡敩瑮琨灯捥捥捥 慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧 獭氭湩慥牧摡敩瑮琨灯 捥捥捥慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧楬敮牡 札散散汩整 牰杯摩慭敧牔湡晳牯楍牣 獯景牧摡敩瑮猨慴 瑲潃潬卲牴昣昸昸摮潃潬卲牴攣散散 潢摲牥 硰猠汯摩搻獩汰祡戺潬正潭潢 摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯敤慲楤獵硰执獧搴摻獩汰祡戺潬 正瀻 獯瑩潩敲 慬楴敶执獧搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬 正漻敶晲潬朣楢琴执 执瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧 浻 牡楧敬瑦瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵潣潬昣 昸昸慢正牧畯 摮椭慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮 牡氬晥 ⁴潴敬瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴捥捥捥戻捡杫 潲猠汯摩搻獩汰祡 戺潬正潭潢摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲 楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯敤慲楤獵硰执獧搴摻 獩汰祡戺潬正瀻 獯瑩潩敲慬楴敶执獧 搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬 朣楢琴执执 瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧浻牡楧敬瑦 瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵 潣潬昣昸昸慢正 牧畯摮椭 慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮牡氬晥⁴潴敬 瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴 捥捥捥戻捡杫潲湵浩条眭 扥楫楬敮牡 札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散戻捡杫潲 湵浩条洭穯氭湩慥牧 摡敩瑮琨灯捥捥捥 慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧 獭氭湩慥牧摡敩瑮琨灯 捥捥捥慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧楬敮牡 札散散汩整 牰杯摩慭敧牔湡晳牯楍牣 獯景牧摡敩瑮猨慴 瑲潃潬卲牴昣昸昸摮潃潬卲牴攣散散 潢摲牥 硰猠汯摩搻獩汰祡戺潬正潭潢 摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯敤慲楤獵硰执獧搴摻獩汰祡戺潬 正瀻 獯瑩潩敲 慬楴敶执獧搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬 正漻敶晲潬朣楢琴执 执瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧 浻 牡楧敬瑦瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵潣潬昣 昸昸慢正牧畯 摮椭慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮 牡氬晥 ⁴潴敬瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴捥捥捥戻捡杫 潲猠汯摩搻獩汰祡 戺潬正潭潢摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲 楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯敤慲楤獵硰执獧搴摻 獩汰祡戺潬正瀻 獯瑩潩敲慬楴敶执獧 搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬朣楢琴执执 瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧浻牡楧敬瑦 瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵 潣潬昣昸昸慢正 牧畯摮椭 慭敧敷止牦浯潴 捥捥捥戻捡杫潲湵浩条眭 扥楫楬敮牡 札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散戻捡杫潲 湵浩条洭穯氭湩慥牧 摡敩瑮琨灯捥捥捥 慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧 獭氭湩慥牧摡敩瑮琨灯 捥捥捥慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧楬敮牡 札散散汩整 牰杯摩慭敧牔湡晳牯楍牣 搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬 正漻敶晲潬朣楢琴执 执瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧 浻 牡楧敬瑦瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵潣潬昣 昸昸慢正牧畯 摮椭慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮 牡氬晥 ⁴潴敬瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴捥捥捥戻捡杫 潲猠汯摩搻獩汰祡 戺潬正潭潢摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲 楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯朣楢琴执执 瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧浻牡楧敬瑦 瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵 潣潬昣昸昸慢正 牧畯摮椭 慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮牡氬晥⁴潴敬 瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴 捥捥捥戻捡杫潲湵浩条眭 扥楫楬敮牡 札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散戻捡杫潲 湵浩条洭穯氭湩慥牧 摡敩瑮琨灯捥捥捥 慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧 摲牥 硰猠汯摩搻獩汰祡戺潬正潭潢 潴敬瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴捥捥捥戻捡杫 潲猠汯摩搻獩汰祡 戺潬正潭潢摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲 楤獵硰朣楢琴执执 瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧浻敬瑦
捥戻捡杫潲湵浩条眭 扥楫楬敮牡 散散 潢摲牥 硰猠汯摩搻獩汰祡戺潬正潭潢 摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 湥楬敮 牡氬晥 ⁴潴敬瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴捥捥捥戻捡杫 潲猠汯摩搻獩汰祡 戺潬正潭潢摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭c c 牯敤慲 楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯敤慲楤獵硰执獧搴摻 獩汰祡戺潬正瀻 獯瑩潩敲慬楴敶执獧 搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬 朣楢琴执执 瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧浻牡楧敬瑦 瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵 潣潬昣昸昸慢正 牧畯摮椭 慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮牡氬晥⁴潴敬 瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴 捥捥捥戻捡杫潲湵浩条眭 扥楫楬敮牡 札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散戻捡杫潲 湵浩条洭穯氭湩慥牧 摡敩瑮琨灯捥捥捥 慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧 獭氭湩慥牧摡敩瑮琨灯 捥捥捥慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧楬敮牡 札散散汩整 牰杯摩慭敧牔湡晳牯楍牣 獯景牧摡敩瑮猨慴 瑲潃潬卲牴昣昸昸摮潃潬卲牴攣散散 潢摲牥 硰猠汯摩搻獩汰祡戺潬正潭潢 摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯敤慲楤獵硰执獧搴摻獩汰祡戺潬 正瀻 獯瑩潩敲 慬楴敶执獧搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬 正漻敶晲潬朣楢琴执 执瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧 浻 牡楧敬瑦瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵潣潬昣 昸昸慢正牧畯 摮椭慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮 牡氬晥 ⁴潴敬瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴捥捥捥戻捡杫 潲猠汯摩搻獩E汰祡 戺潬正潭潢摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲 楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯敤慲楤獵硰执獧搴摻 獩汰祡戺潬正瀻 獯瑩潩敲慬楴敶执獧 搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬朣楢琴执执 瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧浻牡楧敬瑦 瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵 潣潬昣昸昸慢正 牧畯摮椭 慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮牡氬晥⁴潴敬 瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴 捥捥捥戻捡杫潲湵浩条眭 扥楫楬敮牡 札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散戻捡杫潲 湵浩条洭穯氭湩慥牧 摡敩瑮琨灯捥捥捥 慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧 獭氭湩慥牧摡敩瑮琨灯 捥捥捥慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧楬敮牡 札散散汩整 牰杯摩慭敧牔湡晳牯楍牣 獯景牧摡敩瑮猨慴 瑲潃潬卲牴昣昸昸摮潃潬卲牴攣散散 潢摲牥 硰猠汯摩搻獩汰祡戺潬正潭潢 摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯敤慲楤獵硰执獧搴摻獩汰祡戺潬 正瀻 獯瑩潩敲 慬楴敶执獧搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬 正漻敶晲潬朣楢琴执 执瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧 浻 牡楧敬瑦瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵潣潬昣 昸昸慢正牧畯 摮椭慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮 牡氬晥 ⁴潴敬瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴捥捥捥戻捡杫 潲猠汯摩搻獩汰祡 戺潬正潭潢摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲 楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯朣楢琴执执 瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧浻牡楧敬瑦 瀰絸朣杢执獧扻捡杫潲湵 潣潬昣昸昸慢正 牧畯摮椭 慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮牡氬晥⁴潴敬 瑦戠瑯潴牦浯潴 捥捥捥戻捡杫潲湵浩条眭 扥楫楬敮牡 札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散戻捡杫. V潲 湵浩条洭穯氭湩慥牧 摡敩瑮琨灯捥捥捥 慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧 獭氭湩慥牧摡敩瑮琨灯 捥捥捥慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧楬敮牡 札散散汩整 牰杯摩慭敧牔湡晳牯楍牣 獯景牧摡敩瑮猨慴 瑲潃潬卲牴昣昸昸摮潃潬卲牴攣散散 潢摲牥 硰猠汯摩搻獩汰祡戺潬正潭潢 摲牥爭摡畩 瀲漭戭牯敤慲楤獵硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵 硰戻牯敤慲楤獵硰执獧搴摻獩汰祡戺潬 正瀻 獯瑩潩敲 慬楴敶执獧搴筮楤灳慬湩楬敮戭潬 正漻敶晲潬朣楢琴执b 执瑩浻牡楧硰执执獧 浻 牡楧敬瑦瀰絸朣杢执獧

I nearly had tears in my eyes where it says: ".....睯攺 汦睯攺..."! Always toggle the s2 switch , bend over and kiss ur *** and hope for the best

Happy Flying

I use GO to adjust settings on the AC and Battery .... Litchi to fly.

I know Litchi does have user settings but having played with so many GO apps in testing - I find my way round that much easier.

I will identify how to basically dump GO !!

Pals of mine still have both apps installed ... Std's, Adv and Pro. Why ? For simple flying they use GO ... for missions they use Litchi. They do really serve differently.

Nigel

Reactions: JohnnyB and SkyHog
I use GO to adjust settings on the AC and Battery .... Litchi to fly.

I know Litchi does have user settings but having played with so many GO apps in testing - I find my way round that much easier.

I will identify how to basically dump GO !!

Pals of mine still have both apps installed ... Std's, Adv and Pro. Why ? For simple flying they use GO ... for missions they use Litchi. They do really serve differently.

Nigel
Same way I have used them since I've had them both.

I think one thing we should all agree on is that the manual is both poorly written and inadequate. The writer(s) has interchanged terminology and failed to fully explain important features and safeguards. There are some very smart people in these forums, and even they can't agree on what's what.

So I'm working through all of this in my head, based on what I've read here and what I've read in the manual. Without yet testing everything myself, this is my understanding based on just a few weeks with my Phantom:

FAILSAFE - This one seems the most straight-forwarded. If the aircraft loses connection for more than a few seconds, it will by default automatically return to the home point. However, the user can OVERRIDE this by changing the setting labeled "Remote Controller Signal Lost" in the DJI Go app. There are three settings for this:
  1. Return to Home - Aircraft will return to home if RC signal lost
  2. Hover - Aircraft will hover if RC signal lost
  3. Land - Aircraft will land if RC signal lost
* Presumably, if you set it to the "Hover" setting, the aircraft will still land automatically if battery level becomes critical.

MANUAL Return to Home (RTH) - I'm refraining from using the "Smart" moniker because I think that's much of the confusion. MANUAL Return to Home should mean one of the following scenarios:
  1. Go-app initiated - Pilot initiated RTH by touching RTH icon and sliding. Aircraft returns to the home point (can be cancelled in-app or with S1 switch)
  2. Switch initiated - Pilot toggles the S2 switch (manual states to toggle at least two times). Aircraft returns to home point (can be cancelled in-app or by toggling S1 switch)
LOW-BATTERY Return to Home (RTH) - Aircraft returns to home point when battery level is low. THIS is where all of the confusion comes in. I see two possible scenarios, based on the pilots user setting for "Low Battery Warning":
  1. If the "Smart Return-to-home" setting is toggled to the ON position, the aircraft will continuously calculate the approximate time remaining to safely make it back to home based on distance and battery percentage. At the point it determines it needs to start returning to home, it will display a pop-up in the app asking the pilot to accept the setting. If there is no user input, the aircraft will automatically return to home after 10 seconds. Alternatively, the user may cancel the function.
  2. If the "Smart Return-to-home" setting is toggled to the OFF position, the aircraft will NOT calculate the time to return to home based on distance away, but will only initiate return-to-home based on the pilots "Low Battery Warning" setting. By default, this is set to 30%, and thus at 30% battery life, the aircraft will display a pop-up to return to home. EDIT: Does it even initiate a RTH if this setting is OFF or does it just pop up with a low battery warning?
* These are my assumptions and are likely either wrong or incomplete. I am assuming that the only difference between #1 and #2 above is that the "Smart" setting allow the aircraft to initiate RTH *before* your "Low Battery Warning" setting if it knows by calculation that it needs more than that to return home from its current location. To me, that is what makes it "Smart" - the fact that it is continuously monitoring distance and will initiate RTH before the low battery warning setting if it knows it needs to start returning home sooner. What I'm not entirely sure of is whether it will indeed initiate a RTH if you turn OFF the "Smart return-to-home" setting, or will it just give you a pop-up about low battery (but do nothing)? I have not tried turning off the "Smart return-to-home setting" - does it stop calculating the projected time based on distance and just show the battery percentage?

In my mind, here are the key things to remember as a Phantom pilot:
  • You can always use the S2 switch to manually RTH (and cancel it with S1). The manual states toggling it at least twice, but I think it usually works with one full toggle down and up.
  • You can change the failsafe behavior if you don't want it to RTH on disconnect (if you want it to hover or land in place). By default, it will RTH if disconnected for more than 3 seconds.
  • You can adjust the Low Battery and Critical Battery settings, but know that at Critical battery level, the aircraft WILL land (though you can control pitch, yaw and roll).
  • Always check that your home point is recorded properly before leaving your takeoff point.
  • Always choose a home point that is free from obstructions in a decent radius (I would recommend at least a 6m/20ft radius).
  • Always set a RTH altitude that is higher than any obstacles in your path home (trees, power lines, buildings, towers, etc).
  • Never completely trust the "Smart" RTH calculations - get closer to home sooner than the app calculates, or before low battery warning.
  • Never panic when you FPV or controller connection. If you lose the former, check to see if the controller light is green (if it is, you still have control). If you lose controller connection, aircraft will initiate your disconnect procedure (either RTH, hover, or land).
  • If in doubt, gain altitude to avoid a crash. Immediately flying above obstacles is usually better than trying to manually fly around obstacles lower to the ground.
I hope we can come to some consensus on these issues. I will have to do some testing myself when I get a chance, but this is my current understanding. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I think one thing we should all agree on is that the manual is both poorly written and inadequate. The writer(s) has interchanged terminology and failed to fully explain important features and safeguards. There are some very smart people in these forums, and even they can't agree on what's what.

So I'm working through all of this in my head, based on what I've read here and what I've read in the manual. Without yet testing everything myself, this is my understanding based on just a few weeks with my Phantom:

FAILSAFE - This one seems the most straight-forwarded. If the aircraft loses connection for more than a few seconds, it will by default automatically return to the home point. However, the user can OVERRIDE this by changing the setting labeled "Remote Controller Signal Lost" in the DJI Go app. There are three settings for this:
  1. Return to Home - Aircraft will return to home if RC signal lost
  2. Hover - Aircraft will hover if RC signal lost
  3. Land - Aircraft will land if RC signal lost
* Presumably, if you set it to the "Hover" setting, the aircraft will still land automatically if battery level becomes critical.

MANUAL Return to Home (RTH) - I'm refraining from using the "Smart" moniker because I think that's much of the confusion. MANUAL Return to Home should mean one of the following scenarios:
  1. Go-app initiated - Pilot initiated RTH by touching RTH icon and sliding. Aircraft returns to the home point (can be cancelled in-app or with S1 switch)
  2. Switch initiated - Pilot toggles the S2 switch (manual states to toggle at least two times). Aircraft returns to home point (can be cancelled in-app or by toggling S1 switch)
LOW-BATTERY Return to Home (RTH) - Aircraft returns to home point when battery level is low. THIS is where all of the confusion comes in. I see two possible scenarios, based on the pilots user setting for "Low Battery Warning":
  1. If the "Smart Return-to-home" setting is toggled to the ON position, the aircraft will continuously calculate the approximate time remaining to safely make it back to home based on distance and battery percentage. At the point it determines it needs to start returning to home, it will display a pop-up in the app asking the pilot to accept the setting. If there is no user input, the aircraft will automatically return to home after 10 seconds. Alternatively, the user may cancel the function.
  2. If the "Smart Return-to-home" setting is toggled to the OFF position, the aircraft will NOT calculate the time to return to home based on distance away, but will only initiate return-to-home based on the pilots "Low Battery Warning" setting. By default, this is set to 30%, and thus at 30% battery life, the aircraft will display a pop-up to return to home. EDIT: Does it even initiate a RTH if this setting is OFF or does it just pop up with a low battery warning?
* These are my assumptions and are likely either wrong or incomplete. I am assuming that the only difference between #1 and #2 above is that the "Smart" setting allow the aircraft to initiate RTH *before* your "Low Battery Warning" setting if it knows by calculation that it needs more than that to return home from its current location. To me, that is what makes it "Smart" - the fact that it is continuously monitoring distance and will initiate RTH before the low battery warning setting if it knows it needs to start returning home sooner. What I'm not entirely sure of is whether it will indeed initiate a RTH if you turn OFF the "Smart return-to-home" setting, or will it just give you a pop-up about low battery (but do nothing)? I have not tried turning off the "Smart return-to-home setting" - does it stop calculating the projected time based on distance and just show the battery percentage?

In my mind, here are the key things to remember as a Phantom pilot:
  • You can always use the S2 switch to manually RTH (and cancel it with S1). The manual states toggling it at least twice, but I think it usually works with one full toggle down and up.
  • You can change the failsafe behavior if you don't want it to RTH on disconnect (if you want it to hover or land in place). By default, it will RTH if disconnected for more than 3 seconds.
  • You can adjust the Low Battery and Critical Battery settings, but know that at Critical battery level, the aircraft WILL land (though you can control pitch, yaw and roll).
  • Always check that your home point is recorded properly before leaving your takeoff point.
  • Always choose a home point that is free from obstructions in a decent radius (I would recommend at least a 6m/20ft radius).
  • Always set a RTH altitude that is higher than any obstacles in your path home (trees, power lines, buildings, towers, etc).
  • Never completely trust the "Smart" RTH calculations - get closer to home sooner than the app calculates, or before low battery warning.
  • Never panic when you FPV or controller connection. If you lose the former, check to see if the controller light is green (if it is, you still have control). If you lose controller connection, aircraft will initiate your disconnect procedure (either RTH, hover, or land).
  • If in doubt, gain altitude to avoid a crash. Immediately flying above obstacles is usually better than trying to manually fly around obstacles lower to the ground.
I hope we can come to some consensus on these issues. I will have to do some testing myself when I get a chance, but this is my current understanding. Thanks everyone!
Who cares about another page.. get over it. With that said, I LOVE to fly "through the woods." When I do, I change failsafe RTH to 'hover' so it won't ascend up into the trees. All I have to do is walk a few yards to get signal back. But I hadn't thought of the low battery, or smart RTH kicking in while I've flown through the woods. Luckily that hasn't happened. This would be a case where turning off smart RTH would certainly avoid an unnecessary crash in the trees . Im never farther than walking distance when I fly this way so walking a bit to get signal back is nothing. At worst, battery gets weak and it lands. I'm only 4' or less above the ground when I fly this way most of the time anyways. So, if anything, this thread probably helped me avoid a crash in the tree's.

Reactions: gvsukids and SkyHog
But I hadn't thought of the low battery, or smart RTH kicking in while I've flown through the woods.

I think there are certain scenarios where the bird won't ascend... like low battery... don't quote me because (obviously) there is lot of info here and I might have signals crossed, but if you look into it, it might be helpful for you in this case!

If it's below 20m rings a bell...

Low battery RTH kicks in and the first thing it would do is ascend to the preset height, which I would not want when I'm in the tree's already. That's what I was trying to say.

I think there are certain scenarios where the bird won't ascend... like low battery... don't quote me because (obviously) there is lot of info here and I might have signals crossed, but if you look into it, it might be helpful for you in this case!

If it's below 20m rings a bell...

Below 20M.. don't ring a bell, but I'll look into it. Thanks for bringing it up. In my case, I may be only 4' AGL, but be more than 60' above take off up on a hill. I live in a hilly area so this is sometimes the case. But still, I'll read up.

Who's the "her", gotcha, this thread got way to busy, to be honest, which is much easier to remember then lying. To me it seemed like you were focused on proving your first post (comment) and wasn't excepting any other thoughts.

Based on your reply to me, I now see I was wrong. ;)

Rod
No worries, I think we beat the horse now and there is no life left.

My mistake was only considering the DJ Go app and the button to turn off "Smart Return to Home" and the relationship with the manual defined Smart RTH.

I didn't mean anything ominous with the friend comment...

The final result in my mind is that the person who wrote the manual probably had never operated the drone.

Cheers,

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

That flight certainly wasn't long enough to cause low battery RTH to kick in, but if it had and I was still in the tree's.... At the old home place, i have still been in the tree's and on a higher hill but luckily not for long.
I knew of the 30M radius around HP and it landing where it's at if RTH is initiated, but nothing on the 20M above.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart