p3s - rth vs smart rth

Not quite:

Smart RTH = User initiated with S2

Low Battery RTH = As described, when the battery is low

Failsafe RTH = Lost signal

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I disagree. If the manual does say this, it is wrong. It isn't uncommon for user manual writers getting things wrong. What supports my position is that the app itself uses the term 'smart' in relation to RTH where it is referring to the dynamic determination on when it should start heading home due to battery level and current distance to home.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The low battery warning setting doesn't seem to have any bearing on the drone doing anything other than remind you that the battery is starting to get low. We still need to check though if this becomes a fixed low battery RTH when smart RTH is turned off.

You can counter critical battery decent but it gets harder as battery becomes more critical.

I disagree. If the manual does say this, it is wrong. It isn't uncommon for user manual writers getting things wrong. What supports my position is that the app itself uses the term 'smart' in relation to RTH where it is referring to the dynamic determination on when it should start heading home due to battery level and current distance to home.

Those terms are taken directly from the manual, but as mentioned earlier, when we get caught up in our interpretation of the actual terminology used, yes for sure it's still confusing.

Jeff

Last edited:
You can counter critical battery decent but it gets harder as battery becomes more critical.

Again, there is that terminology thing. No, you can't counter the descent once it makes it to "critical", all you can do is control directionality.

You CAN cancel the low battery warning, but you can't stop the descent once it makes it to "critical". This, I have tested with certainty.

Jeff

so would/should there be a voice or visual prompt in the app that would let you know its time to be "smart" and toggle s2 ?

so would/should there be a voice or visual prompt in the app that would let you know its time to be "smart" and toggle s2 ?

There is a voice and visual prompt warning you that you are low on battery. There is another voice and visual prompt that auto landing has begun at critical battery and you better start navigating home PDQ!!

To me, the S2 toggle is used when either the app isn't responding or has crashed, the battery in your device died... any other reason the on screen prompts don't work or are unavailable.

I'm sure there are other situations too... it's Monday. That's the best I got for now...

If you can't see or tell which way your bird is facing and you lose your screen... that would be a good time to be "smart" and toggle... and it's smart because even without an app, it's coming home...

Jeff

There is a voice and visual prompt warning you that you are low on battery. There is another voice and visual prompt that auto landing has begun at critical battery and you better start navigating home PDQ!!

To me, the S2 toggle is used when either the app isn't responding or has crashed, the battery in your device died... any other reason the on screen prompts don't work or are unavailable.

I'm sure there are other situations too... it's Monday. That's the best I got for now...

If you can't see or tell which way your bird is facing and you lose your screen... that would be a good time to be "smart" and toggle... and it's smart because even without an app, it's coming home...

Jeff
that makes perfect sense,... just thought maybe with srth enabled, and the software calculating ( if it does) how much battery should be needed to get home safely, it might prompt the operator to flip the switch when the time came.

that makes perfect sense,... just thought maybe with srth enabled, and the software calculating ( if it does) how much battery should be needed to get home safely, it might prompt the operator to flip the switch when the time came.

I tend to believe there is a boardroom somewhere, where they sit and discuss stuff like this.
"Should we make it come home when it gets to low battery?"
"No... let's just warn the pilot"
"You think? Why? I think we should make it come home".
"Well I brought the donuts today and I think we should just make it warn the pilot"
"Good enough for me, if I can have the chocolate dipped".

Jeff

Reactions: Loz and JohnnyB
Ok, sorry... I started out with the intention of being serious...

But I do believe there is a boardroom where they discuss this stuff, consider multiple scenarios, and make decisions based on variables that either we don't consider, or on a majority of the most likely scenarios... possibly things we'd never think of.

Or the donut thing.

Jeff

Again, there is that terminology thing. No, you can't counter the descent once it makes it to "critical", all you can do is control directionality.

You CAN cancel the low battery warning, but you can't stop the descent once it makes it to "critical". This, I have tested with certainty.

Jeff
So have I. I didn't realize it was possible until someone mentioned it. I have managed to suspend decent, even been able to ascend a little while undergoing critical battery landing. Perhaps you didn't bring the left stick up enough to counter the decent?
I

Here's how my flights play out.
At 30% I get low battery warning, app starts beeping for the reminder of the flight and the middle top of screen is red with msg Low Battery or something similar. Flight timeline shows a little H in a circle, line red on left, yellow on right.
Sometime later I get an announcement that battery is getting low, in 10 seconds it will go home. I get a dialog box to OK go home or cancel. I am flying near me so I cancel and continue flying.
A little while later at 10% it announces critical battery, the aircraft will land. I let it but might navigate around including throttle up to buy a few more seconds.
This is with Smart RTH enabled, low battery setting 30%, critical battery at its lowest and default setting at 10%.

So have I. I didn't realize it was possible until someone mentioned it. I have managed to suspend decent, even been able to ascend a little while undergoing critical battery landing. Perhaps you didn't bring the left stick up enough to counter the decent?
I

No I don't think I realized I could go up... I'm not sure I tried. I just know for sure I can "control"... but I DO know that it can't climb to my RTH height if it's set too high for it to get there.

Jeff

Here's how my flights play out.
At 30% I get low battery warning, app starts beeping for the reminder of the flight and the middle top of screen is red with msg Low Battery or something similar. Flight timeline shows a little H in a circle, line red on left, yellow on right.
Sometime later I get an announcement that battery is getting low, in 10 seconds it will go home. I get a dialog box to OK go home or cancel. I am flying near me so I cancel and continue flying.
A little while later at 10% it announces critical battery, the aircraft will land. I let it but might navigate around including throttle up to buy a few more seconds.
This is with Smart RTH enabled, low battery setting 30%, critical battery at its lowest and default setting at 10%.

That's what I remember, including the part about returning home after 10 seconds, and that's consistent with the manual.

I will always be the type that is curious about "why" they choose to have it do the things they have it do.

Jeff

I'll be the first one to admit that I tripped over my own words in a couple of places, but in the end the bird does exactly as the manual says it will, which is as you just described Dan and as I posted in the manual pages a half dozen pages back. Fascinating.

So whether we struggle over confusing terminology, it still works... just as described in the manual. So there isn't much of an argument left.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

No I don't think I realized I could go up... I'm not sure I tried. I just know for sure I can "control"... but I DO know that it can't climb to my RTH height if it's set too high for it to get there.

Jeff
No doubt you can't climb much but as I said, it can buy you a little time and space. possibly letting you clear low obstacles as you find a landing spot.

I have a P4, and I have had the smart RTH switch in DJI go toggled to off for as long as I have had my phantom. When I do long distance flights, I still get a battery warning at ~60% that tells me I need to come back, gives me the ten seconds, etc.

Based on this thread, this shouldn't happen unless I had toggled on the smart rth switch in Go. At this point, I have no idea what the smart rth switch in go does or why it even exists.

I'd like to get clarification on this as I think it's very important to know RTH inside and out because it could be the difference in a crash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart