P3s Disconnected then RTH

Reaction score
Hi all - great forum,

I have only had my P3S for a couple of weeks but not had the chance to get many flights in due the the wonderful Scottish weather. Managed to get some air time over the last couple of days. Yesterday was a good day and I got confident enough to put the bird 100m up in the air for some great videos.

Today i decided to check out its range. Went to a new area, calibrated the compass and sent the Stock P3s out. Got to 380m at a height of 50m (the land was flat initially but started to rise after about 150m). I started to loose video signal on my phone so i toggled S2 for it to RTH. No issues, i watched the video signal return and when it got closer i used the DJI Go App (IOS) to cancel the RTH and landed the PS3 myself.

I then put on the Skyreat Copper signal extender and flew the bird in the same direction, easily passed the 380m without any issues, i started to loose the signal on my Iphone 6s after about 850m, but kept pushing forward. I then lost the video signal totally. I toggled the S2 switch just to be sure the bird would return home, thinking i would get the video feed back when it came into range, but it never reconnected via the app but i could control its movements with the RC. Landed the bird safely and returned home to download onto HealthyDrones.

The data shows i managed to get to 902m at a take off height of 50m, the bird turned round and headed in the home direction (SD video card confirms this), it traveled around 100m back but no info was stored after that.

Should the GJI Go app have auto re-connected when the wi-fi signal reconnected? (healthydrones data shows the Go Home status, then Wi-Fi Reconnect, then Go Home again).

p.s. i had a number of Strong Interference Detected warnings up to about 400m out, but i assumed these were fasle warnings as i have been having them since i have had the P3S even when in the middle of a field with nothing nearby, and read about loads of IOS users have the same warnings.

p.p.s - should i be concerned that Cell 1 is showing 41 minor deviations and about 40mv less than the other cells?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts given.

upload_2017-2-26_1-39-27.png

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=jVCGLJ

Last edited:
Should the GJI Go app have auto re-connected when the wi-fi signal reconnected?
If the downlink reconnected, you would have started seeing the live video and other flight data in DJI GO. You'd also see data logged in the TXT flight log (the log you uploaded to Healthy Drones).

That's the killer that I have noticed with later apps .... the poor reconnect ....

It also applies to lost control signal and RTH kicking in.

One of the items that I noted during all the testing I did - was this change in reconnection distance. particularly in control. You can see this in my videos as they worked forward in FW versions. I was regularly getting reconnect way out far .. but later it was halved till on 1.8.10 I get recconnect at maybe 700m or so after a disconnect at 2100m.

If I lose video - Go - rare now but if I do - I can be even closer before it reconnects .... same with Litchi.

What I also find strange is that I can have full 5 bars Video on GO / Litchi video feed out at 1500m or more ... but come back home under 200m and have literally ZERO but still video ... the bars are grey !

Just thought I'd post observations ....

Nigel

Thanks for the reply's. The data did show the wi-fi reconnected, but the App still showed disconnected and no further data was recorded. Seams strange??

Thanks for the reply's. The data did show the wi-fi reconnected, but the App still showed disconnected and no further data was recorded. Seams strange??
I posted a similar problem recently running Litchi automated mission. Never reconnected. I contacted them and they said the reconnection happens in the DJI API that Litchi uses. I hope DJI didn't introduce some bug in a recent upgrade.

This statement intrigues me. Does Litchi somehow depends on the installed DJI Go? If it does, then if the particular Go app has issues, will these issues also manifest in Litchi?

I don't believe that it necessarily assumes that it depends on the installed DJI API. They could be using an SDK that is compiled into the Litchi app and/or installed with it.

This was their response:

"Which platform (android or ios) and mobile device are you using?
To answer your question, there is no reason for the app not to reconnect if the drone is in range and everything else looks good.
However Litchi itself isn’t the one reconnecting, it’s the DJI development kit which Litchi uses that is supposed to automatically reconnect.
One case I could see it failing is if DJI Go is connected instead in the background (even if you don’t see it in the background app list). Did you force close DJI Go before starting Litchi?"

Thanks. That make sense. So Litchi should be dependent on the DJI SDK it uses and not on any part of the installed Go app.
That's what I think would be likely. But I am not speaking with any authority.

That's what I think would be likely. But I am not speaking with any authority.
Let me add this... as an educated guess I would say that iOS apps are probably significantly sandboxed that one app can't rely on parts of another. If I'm correct that would add more creedence to the idea that Litchi is packaged with the SDK and doesn't rely on an installed DJI. As far as Android I have no clue if the same thought process applies.

Well, since Litchi does work fine without the presence of DJI Go app, I think it's safe to assume that it does use it's own compiled SDK instead of the one in the Go app.
Then there is your answer. :) I haven't deinstalled DJI to test.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart