p3s - rth vs smart rth

I think, to some degree, we are getting caught up in the terminology. I know I have been.

Low battery RTH is automatic.

Failsafe RTH is automatic.

The only one requiring pilot action is "Smart RTH", which is activated by toggling S2... which is why it seems odd that's the one labeled "smart".

But in any case, I think it's very important we understand what will happen when any of them is activated, what our options are, and what's best to do to keep people safe and get our birds back in one piece...

...No matter what terminology is used to label them.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: gvsukids
Low battery RTH is automatic.
Your Phantom will only return home on a low battery if the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting is enabled.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Why would there be a choice of Smart RTH on or off ....

Well in my mind simple - if you are using the P3 while on a moving platform such as a boat - you don't want RTH to go to original take-off point. You would want AC to hover so you can then decide what to do.

That's my thought for today.

Nigel

Well in my mind simple - if you are using the P3 while on a moving platform such as a boat - you don't want RTH to go to original take-off point. You would want AC to hover so you can then decide what to do.

Nigel
I can't figure out your post, was it referring to a post that you didn't quote?
It doesn't seem to be related to battery level RTH confusion.

What is funny, my personal focus on this issue was Litchi.
If I sent the Phantom out on a mission and the winds started eating up the battery, what would the Phantom do and why,

Everything seem to come back to the DJI-Go settings, and what is most said have Smart RTH off. :rolleyes:

Rod

Hi Rod ... various posts above comment on Why have Smart RTH choice to have on or off ...

Judging by the confusion and state of posts - I think the RTH question is far wider than just the word Smart.

Nigel

Reactions: RodPad

Nigel

EXACTLY!!!

According to the app, you can also choose a different location as the RTH point. That's what I plan on doing this summer when I launch from a boat.

I'll be testing that theory tomorrow... NOT from a boat!

Your Phantom will only return home on a low battery if the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting is enabled.

Why would there be a choice of Smart RTH on or off ...

I can't figure out your post, was it referring to a post that you didn't quote?
It doesn't seem to be related to battery level RTH confusion.

Hope that helps Rod.

I too can't understand why there is a setting to turn "SMART" RTH on or off.

But even better than that, if msinger is correct, and I have no reason to doubt that, I also don't understand why "SMART" RTS has any bearing whatsoever on LOW BATTERY RTH.

Last edited:
Wow, this has completely gone of the rails.

After going through all of the posts and reading the manual I think at the end of the day it all breaks down to the fact that DJi used the same name for both describing 2 different features.

Smart RTH - The ability to initiate a return to home via the app or switch.
Smart Return to Home - Tracking battery availability for the purpose of leaving enough capacity to RTH.

I will leave it at that as for me the first one is simply RTH and the second one is Smart RTH. Why? Because there is nothing you can change or alter in the RTH feature as the only thing you can add to it is the ability to add battery tracking. That makes it Smart RTH, which I can turn on or off with the app.

Again, my way of dealing and reconciling conflicting information in the manual.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Guess it's time to accept the fact that low battery RTH 'is' in fact part of Smart RTH. Why is it an option to have it in or off? Maybe your flying close by or doing a one way mission and do not want low battery RTH to kick in and make you land at 30% battery. (Or whatever you have it set at.) Maybe "you" want to be the one who decides when it comes home to get the most out your battery. I think it's a cool consideration they had by adding the on/off option for these reasons. They just failed to clearly clarify this in the manual.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Has your friend been following this thread?
Let him read it, and post his own reply.

We all, are really trying to figure out this confusion, arguing and ignoring other peoples views is waist.
The goal is we and I'm including you, don't want to F**K-Up(Crash or loose your Phantom).
You got a P3S, do some testing.

At this point, I'm trusting @msinger post, If I can prove it wrong, I will post it.

Rod
Hey Rod,

I don't know what your objective her is in the first part of this reply is but my objective is the same as yours.

Reactions: RodPad

After going through all of the posts and reading the manual I think at the end of the day it all breaks down to the fact that DJi used the same name for both describing 2 different features.

Smart Return to Home - Tracking battery availability for the purpose of leaving enough capacity to RTH.

I will leave it at that as for me the first one is simply RTH and the second one is Smart RTH. Why? Because there is nothing you can change or alter in the RTH feature as the only thing you can add to it is the ability to add battery tracking. That makes it Smart RTH, which I can turn on or off with the app.

As I was typing, u already said pretty much the same thing.

BTW...Msinger had basically said this early on in this post and we could have ended it there but what fun would that be[emoji4]

Reactions: SkyHog and JohnnyB
It was good to go on with it. RodPad has interest in how this ties in with Litchi. These settings are not accessible in Litchi, (smart RTH on/off) therefore DJI Go is needed to go along with Litchi.

Reactions: jwmcgrath

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers