P3S Range Tanking! - Time to be Concerned?

All this talk about which is lost first; video or control. What does each mean? The reason I ask is because I always lose video first. I've never lost control even at the farthest los I've ever been. After DBS mod I was able to get about 1500 feet before video becomes choppy and RTH is triggered. I can still control though.

I've been running everything up to date and getting 2200ft in a residential area flying over houses in a tightly packed neighborhood. I am also using a windsurfer

Well mines gone in cupboard under the stairs along with the rest of junk in the house
And tbh I won't be getting another drone

Pretty poor IMHO I could probably throw a paper plane further than this bird will fly

Expensive paperweight it seems

Anyone want my bird free in uk pay for postage and it's yours

Reactions: Dan Lee
After DBS mod I was able to get about 1500 feet before video becomes choppy and RTH is triggered. I can still control though.

Well, this is new. RTH kicks in and you still have control?? Never heard of this before.

With my DBM mod I can be out past 1 mile (using Litchi Mission) and have solid video feed (down link) at least 90% of the way. It gets a bit choppy near the end but I never lose it. During the actual flight I can tell my up link, hence control signal, is gone by around 700m.

Well mines gone in cupboard under the stairs along with the rest of junk in the house
And tbh I won't be getting another drone

Pretty poor IMHO I could probably throw a paper plane further than this bird will fly

Expensive paperweight it seems

Anyone want my bird free in uk pay for postage and it's yours
I'll pay postage to The US if you're giving it away. What would postage be?

I'll pay postage to The US if you're giving it away. What would postage be?

I've already put it up on here and tbh Its advertised as collection only
Can't be bothered even packing it or waiting for collection guy etc
Srry

Ok I just had a thought on this how long have y'all owned and flown your P3S when it started tanking? I know y'all are losing range after updating but the pattern I'm starting to see is the majority of us are hooked to our little flying machine and couldn't imagine life with our it. For the most part everyone one is just going and upgrading to P3A P3P P4 or Mavic my theory is the company is using the updates to keep up with owner ship and after whatever set time fram they have in mind they start slowly shutting them down so you have to upgrade. Just something that popped in my head as I've been following this thread and commenting here and there trying to help figure it out but it maybe time for me to put my tinfoil cap on lol

That's what I mean lol how long have you had you P3S? I'm serious about this we need to start looking at that

Had mine maybe 2 month at most before giving it away earlier on lol

No more issues for me now anyway :)

The P3 Standard is not, and never was, a range machine! It is a beginner drone to learn to fly with. You can get some pretty nifty mods and made it go much farther. But basically, out of the box it won't go far. If you want "far", you will need to get a P3A or a P3 pro in the Phantom 3 series. Or move up to a P4 pro or Mavic. The P3S uses Wifi to communicate between RC Unit and Drone. Wifi is problematic in many areas.

^lol ^
And err cheers for that too :rolleyes:
Here's me thinking it would fly across the Atlantic whilst I'm sat in my living room haha o_O

Would you be happy when rth kicked in at as little as 70ft ??

Genuine question beginner drone or not ??

No I wouldn't be happy. That's for sure. But my natural curiosity wouldn't let me quit until I found out why. That's definitely not the norm. Wifi if problematic! I'd bet that 95% of all Standards sold perform as advertised right out of the box. The vast majority of those are not on this, or any other, forum.

That's what I'm getting at grandpa don these fliers bought a drone/uav that is supposed to be capable of 3273 feet and people are losing that now everyone is talking about 1000/1200 feet what is going on? I know so far I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to range don't know if it's my equipment or location but I don't want it to happen to me, part of why I get into the range threads. Happy flying folks hope we figure this out.

After some time away from flying, I recently started up again and noticed I'm lucky to get 350' straight up. 6-700 feet out max. But I also just updated to 1.8 something I think it is. Doesn't really bother me as I use the drone LOS only anyway for my work. But it was fun when I first got it and I got like a couple of miles I think was my best distance last year.

But just saying it doesn't really bother me much, but I can see why others would be upset.

You know, I read something this morning that was very interesting in regards to declining range. It was something about 8 verses 32 channel communication. I'm paraphrasing here, but it said something about unlocking all 32 channels for better comm and range. Apparently the early Phantoms used all 32 channels that they are capable of for communications. Basically there were 32 different frequencies the drone could choose from, and if one was busy, or had a lot of interference, it would automatically switch to another to maintain communication. At some point, or at some Firmware update, the choice changed to just 8. If that is correct, it would explain the recent range loss. Apparently you could see the channels in the earlier DJI Go App by clicking on the HD ikon at the top of the screen. I tried to find that ikon, but it was gone. I'm assuming DJI removed it to prevent making the change.

Perhaps someone else could find more information and explain this further. YouTube has many videos about this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka