P3S Range issues after firmware upgrade

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I had just bought my P3S and it flew well, with distances upto 500m without losing RC signal.
After returning home, I upgraded the firmware to 1.4.60 hoping for even better performance.

I have been getting poor RC signal since then. My phantom would go only 90-100 meters away and lose signal.
After much needed reading, I figured that the best way would be relinking the remote again.

I relinked the RC, no change.

After an hour of support from DJI online, the guy suggested to try downgrading the firmware.
I downgraded to 1.3.50 , relinked remote, and failed to reset wifi (nothing would happen and the red-green light would blink on and on)

So after the downgrade, no change. Still stuck with poor range.

This has practically rendered my phantom useless.

It has come to my knowledge that there is a new update, 1.5.70, but once I do that, I wont have a chance to come back 1.3.50 if I ever want to. ( The recent thread about the update is not promising and hasnt solved the range issue)

I am in need of urgent help, and am actually quiet stressed as to what has happened.

If any of you could help out, it would be great.

Thanks,

Sarthak

How did you down grade the firmware, that has never been known to be done on a standard?

And what are you using for a mobile device?

How did you down grade the firmware, that has never been known to be done on a standard?

And what are you using for a mobile device?

I am using an iPhone 6.

Downgrading can be done upto one previous firmware. Press the graduation hat button on the equipment page on DJI go app for 10 seconds, and the relevant page would appear.

What, I will check as soon as possible.

Added, just brought up my Asus Tablet, the option is there but it says no downgrade available.

Phantom is at home, not here.

Wow

Last edited:
Did you check to see if the antenna cable was fully seated into the transmitter module. That seems to be a common problem on the standard. Mine wasn't.

Did you check to see if the antenna cable was fully seated into the transmitter module. That seems to be a common problem on the standard. Mine wasn't.
I think it is seated perfectly. The problem has arisen only after the firmware upgrade.

I am not able to reset my wifi downlink. I think there is a clue there.

I think it is seated perfectly. The problem has arisen only after the firmware upgrade.

I am not able to reset my wifi downlink. I think there is a clue there.
You are loosing the video and telemetry or remote control signal and the unit activates RTH?

You are loosing the video and telemetry or remote control signal and the unit activates RTH?
Yes exactly. It loses signal suddenly and initiates RTH.
Yes exactly. It loses signal suddenly and initiates RTH. I have no control over the phantom but I can see the video feed the whole time.

Does that mean you opened the remote for a visual or you pulled the cable loose & reseated it?
No I am giving visual confirmation. I haven't dismantled anything. I don't think that is possible without voiding warranty.

I have updated the firmware from 1.2.40 (+ behind it) to 1.4.60 without ever seeing 1.3.50. But I haven't been able to fly yet on 1.4.60 because of weather.
Question is now, is range issue really firmware related? Does everyone get bad range with these latest firmwares? If so, I have a possibility still to downgrade to 1.3.50 according to my Go App (even though it was never on my machine).
I would rather like to go to the latest firmware but will wait a week or two...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just upgraded to the latest and seem much more stable on the signal. As for going back to the 1.3.50 build I have that firmware file to do a manual downgrade. Did it once right after the original 1.4 upgrade to test something out I didn't think was correct. Had no issues going down and now back up again.

I just upgraded to the latest and seem much more stable on the signal. As for going back to the 1.3.50 build I have that firmware file to do a manual downgrade. Did it once right after the original 1.4 upgrade to test something out I didn't think was correct. Had no issues going down and now back up again.
You can go down only one firmware. Now that you have updated to 1.5.70, you can go back to 1.4.60 only. 1.3.50 cannot be installed manually or otherwise as far as I know.

How far does your P3S go? Mine goes a mere 100 meters and loses signal, but I have perfect video feed. Haven't lost video feed even once.

I took mine out last night to 2000' with no problems on RC or video signal

If it's still under warranty then send it in for repair.
I am from India. Sending it for repair would be very cumbersome. I fail to understand as to what is to be repaired? Any idea how much will be the repair cost? I can send it to the local DJI dealer.

Hi Guys,

So I had just bought my P3S and it flew well, with distances upto 500m without losing RC signal.
After returning home, I upgraded the firmware to 1.4.60 hoping for even better performance.

I have been getting poor RC signal since then. My phantom would go only 90-100 meters away and lose signal.
After much needed reading, I figured that the best way would be relinking the remote again.

I relinked the RC, no change.

After an hour of support from DJI online, the guy suggested to try downgrading the firmware.
I downgraded to 1.3.50 , relinked remote, and failed to reset wifi (nothing would happen and the red-green light would blink on and on)

So after the downgrade, no change. Still stuck with poor range.

This has practically rendered my phantom useless.

It has come to my knowledge that there is a new update, 1.5.70, but once I do that, I wont have a chance to come back 1.3.50 if I ever want to. ( The recent thread about the update is not promising and hasnt solved the range issue)

I am in need of urgent help, and am actually quiet stressed as to what has happened.

If any of you could help out, it would be great.

Thanks,

Sarthak

a couple of things i can think of.
Have you tried re-installing the 1.4.60? Try going one firmware back, and then install 1.4.6 again.
Maybe there was an issue with the FW install.

What about your GO app? Are you on android?
Is there a chance that your GO app automatically updated to the latest DJI GO app version 2.7.2 thats designed for the latest v1.5.70 FW, and you have incompatible GO app version on 1.4.6FW
In that case your best bet would be upgrading to the latest firmware, including you drone, RC, batteries and app

And, have you tried this?
- Resetting WiFi Link, page # 26

upload_2016-2-9_2-39-23-png.43320
upload_2016-2-9_2-39-23-png.43320

You can also try try:
- Calibrating IMU, and,
- Calibrating compass

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members